Retirement visa - How to? applying from UK

I know this has probably been asked a million times before, so is there a sticky thread (or similar) for this? My parents are looking to apply for a retirement visa from the UK. With the UK consulate not issuing income letters anymore, I guess the only alternative is the 800k in the bank (shouldn't be a problem).  How does it all work? After they have the retirement visa issues from Thai embassy in UK, then arrive in Thailand, how long does it permit them to stay for? before we have to apply for the extension within Thailand ? And how does the extension work? Thanks in advance

If they obtain a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa in the UK (money proof in UK/Medical certificate/police report) it allows one year stay on any entry during the one year it is valid.  Each would have to provide financials for that and with planning would cover almost 2 years before they need to extend stay at immigration in Thailand.

A Non-Imm OA is a retirement visa with a one year validity permitting multiple entries. Your parents could stay here nearly 24 months using it if they leave and return just before it expires. Each entry gives a permission to stay of 1 year.

They would need to season the 800k each 2 month prior to applying for an extension. That application would be just prior to the extension of stay expires, ie just under the 24 months.

If they wish to travel out of Thailand after the Non-IM-OA has expired, but before permission to stay expires, a re-entry permit is required.

Edited by jacko45k

The OA long stay visa would be a good option. Either income or money in a UK bank can be used.

Requirements are her on the embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#7

It can be applied for by mail or in person.

Only one of them would have to get the OA visa. The other one could get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for an extension of stay as the spouse of the one with the visa based upon their one year entry from the OA visa.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The OA long stay visa would be a good option. Either income or money in a UK bank can be used.

Requirements are her on the embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#7

It can be applied for by mail or in person.

Only one of them would have to get the OA visa. The other one could get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for an extension of stay as the spouse of the one with the visa based upon their one year entry from the OA visa.

d-i-v-o-r-c-e however make separate extensions preferable to some couples who may not have any such intent.  Thailand has a bit of history as being the end of many a marriage.  

Related image

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I was just posting info about that option since it was not mentioned before.

Understand and appreciate - just having fun.  Recall it was common tale at US Embassy that there were more divorces among diplomatic circles in Bangkok than in any other city.