unofficial rules for the tourist visa

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

Wouldn't it be much easier to just stay in Vietnam?

Every time when i make a visa run to Laos i see Vietnamese people who stay in Laos making visa runs to Thailand. So i assume Vietnamese people don't have the the limit of 2 entries at land border, so maybe it would be an option for your GF to just make visa runs between Thailand and Laos every 30 days to get a new visa exempt.

A UK citizen can just apply for a 1 year tourist visa for Australia, costs less than a 6 month METV for Thailand, and you he just stay for a year, no need to do visa runs or 90 day reports. All you need is some money in your bank. Way easier than Thailand ????

Just about every country is easier than Thailand for most visas.

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Just about every country is easier than Thailand for most visas.

Umm, I'm au passport. I don't get option visa exempt for Vietnam. I get 3 month multiples and visit 4 times in that period. I visit Vietnam every month. Tedious and pain in a**. As for your UK citizen to au. Yes they can obtain 12 visa. Guess what.,. There is a site in au called Gumtree. My Australian industry friends use them all the time, as I have. Place an add like this..."labourer wanted, casual work, $## per hour CASH. You have 20 replies in 5 minutes as they can alerts to SMS. Key word...CASH.

Ive used them many times. Most of the replies 80% UK. Yes I'm breaking tax rules, more importantly they are on NO WORK visa. I agree Australia is soft on tourist visas. Hells bells, how many UK backpackers are on round au trip on tourist visa and working. Zillion.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

because they seem to examine every used page in your entire passport.

The only reason they are doing that is because they are looking for the current visa or re-entry permit, if one's passport is full of visa stickers and re-entry stamps like mine. ????

Edited by lkv

Thanks guys , this was the most informative thread ever. I appreciate your voluntarily help.

So when you say Laos tourist visa - you mean  :

1. before we finish visa in Thailand we fly to Chiang.M

2. take a bus out to Laos (Vientien ? ) get new visa same day / day after -  for 60 days ?

3. No need bank account papers, only flights tickets back?

4. Go back by land to Chiang.M ?

How is it you are more sure we gonna get it again in Laos than to just fly from BKK ?

THANK YOU !

7 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Thanks guys , this was the most informative thread ever. I appreciate your voluntarily help.

So when you say Laos tourist visa - you mean  :

1. before we finish visa in Thailand we fly to Chiang.M

2. take a bus out to Laos (Vientien ? ) get new visa same day / day after -  for 60 days ?

3. No need bank account papers, only flights tickets back?

4. Go back by land to Chiang.M ?

How is it you are more sure we gonna get it again in Laos than to just fly from BKK ?

THANK YOU !

You can fly to wherever you want to apply for a visa. If staying a lot of time in Thailand on tourist entries, there is a risk in flying back to Thailand.

If going to Vientiane (indeed, a good place to apply) you do not fly through Chiang Mai. The airport near the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai for the land crossing to Vientiane is Udon Thani.

Note that, while Vientiane in very convenient, you can only get a few tourist visas there in a single passport. If staying an extended time in Thailand, you must apply at various different consulates. Do not expect to get more than three in Vientiane.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I do not expect much , just a solution for the next 6 months .

You confused me a little bit. Some say they don't see a problem go in again, other are skeptical. 

We already have 2 tourist visa in our passport this year, but from different countries. Did you mean it is a problem if we make multiple visa from the same agency ? or in general having them in 1 passport ?

We are now in Koh Phangan. We fly to Vientien,  get a visa and cross the border back to Thailand (and Chiang mai), or fly back to Thailand ? I understood that a flight is the "dangerous" part ?

Those who usually "do the Laos thing", they fly in or take a bus by land ?

Sorry, I am confused if and how we should come back.

Start with this:

Be Sure to have 20K Baht worth of Cash or Travelers checks (can be any currency) to show immigration when you enter Thailand at any entry-point. 

1 hour ago, Rob4 said:

You confused me a little bit. Some say they don't see a problem go in again, other are skeptical. 

There are 2 separate issues.  First - getting a new Tourist Visa.  Second - Entering Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Rob4 said:

We already have 2 tourist visa in our passport this year, but from different countries. Did you mean it is a problem if we make multiple visa from the same agency ? or in general having them in 1 passport ? 

Using the same Thai Consulate repeatedly can cause a problem.  But, every Thai Consulate makes up its own rules on when/if they will issue a Tourist Visa. 

I do not recall people reporting trouble in Vietnam with only 2 Tourist Visas from Thai Consulates in other countries in their passport.  If one of those Thai Tourist Visas was from a Thai consulate in Vietnam, you should still be OK.  If both of the Tourist Visas were issued from Thai Consulates in Vietnam, you should go somewhere else for your next Tourist Visa.  Thai Consulates in Laos are a good choice.

1 hour ago, Rob4 said:

We are now in Koh Phangan. We fly to Vientien,  get a visa and cross the border back to Thailand (and Chiang mai), or fly back to Thailand ? I understood that a flight is the "dangerous" part ?

Leaving Thailand by air is not a problem.  But when returning, it is much safer to enter by-land, as long as you avoid the Poipet/Aranyaprathet land-crossing. 

Entering Thailand by Air vs Land:

If one is rejected entering by air, they will likely be held in detention until a flight on the same airline leaves back to where they flew in from.  A recent report of someone refused-entry to Thailand, and sent back to Vietnam, was then also refused-entry to Vietnam, and had to book another ticket to Cambodia.

If rejected-entry by land - which is very unlikely with a Tourist Visa anywhere but the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing - you could simply walk back where you came from, and try entering somewhere else.  This is why I always entered by land, after I had spent some time in Thailand, and was never rejected-entry.

Flying into Chang Mai Airport:

Recent reports of problems entering by air from the Bangkok airports.  We have no reports of people being prevented entry with a Valid Tourist Visa at the Chang Mai airport, but this could be due to the much lower volume of visitors entering the country at that location.  Thai officials in that part of Thailand are reported to display less "anti-foreigner" sentiment than some in other locations.  It is an unknown risk, and if denied-entry, you would be sent back to Vietnam, per above.

1 hour ago, Rob4 said:

Some of those returning by-air from Vientiane have been rejected-entry at the airport.  The safest path, is to cross a bridge coming back to Thailand.  This is possible from Vientiane or Savannakhet, which are both close to the border.  After crossing into Thailand, you can then take land-transport and/or Domestic Air flights (no immigration involved) to your destination in Thailand.

How to enter Thailand by land, after visiting Thai Consulates which are not near the Thai border:

You can fly to Penang, take the Train into Thailand, and then fly Domestic-Air from Hat Yai to your destination-city in Thailand.  From Vietnam, you could also fly to Vientiane, cross at the bridge into Thailand, then fly Domestic-Air from Udon Thanni. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob4 said:

Thanks.

Sorry, I am confused if and how we should come back.

Let me try to be clearer.

1. Leaving Thailand:you can do this anywhere (except possibly the single land crossing Poipet/Aran) without any problem at all. If you want to just fly directly from Bangkok to wherever you will apply for a visa, that is absolutely fine.
  2. Getting a visa: different rules at every consulate, and you must check before finalizing your plans to go to any specific city to apply for a tourist visa. To summarize, Laos (Vientiane and Savannakhet), Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi) and Myanmar (Yangon) are considered good places to apply.
  3. Returning to Thailand: is best done using a land crossing if possible. Occasionally, those arriving with a tourist visa at the Bangkok airports have encountered problems. 

In your situation, I would plan to get tourist visas in Vientiane Laos:

• Either fly direct from Bangkok to Vientiane; or fly to Udon Thani, take a minibus to the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai and enter Laos there.
  • Apply for the tourist visa in Vientiane (arrive by 11:30 am). You must stay one night in Vientiane.
  • Get back your passport with visa on the afternoon of the day after your visa application.
  • Return to Thailand via the Friendship Bridge, minibus to Udon Thani airport and flight back to Bangkok.

If this is still unclear, let us know what is still troubling you.

In PENANG, my agent mentioned a 'flight home' and also asked for 'hotel bookings / the contract for the apartment'. I balked at the flight and my receipt detailing rent & utilities was rejected. It has to be the contract.

It is clear that people staying more than say 4 months in the Kingdom are suspicious.

I read threads where Immigration Officers said "it's time to fly home" before returning...

Disclaimer: I got a VISA without the flight and the contract, but then, strings  were pulled behind the scenes. 

Personally, 3 back-to-bacck T-VISAs mean that you are  l i v i n g  here. Got a story or explanation when confronted?

24 minutes ago, BurgerGung said:

In PENANG, my agent mentioned a 'flight home' and also asked for 'hotel bookings / the contract for the apartment'. I balked at the flight and my receipt detailing rent & utilities was rejected. It has to be the contract.

It is clear that people staying more than say 4 months in the Kingdom are suspicious.

Not "supicious" - just "targeted" for extortion.

I read threads where Immigration Officers said "it's time to fly home" before returning...

Yes, it seems to irk them that we don't have any reason to go "home" again.

Disclaimer: I got a VISA without the flight and the contract, but then, strings  were pulled behind the scenes. 

Which was why the "extras" in the first place - because the consulate targets some applicants for a little "extra."  The "flight home" vs "flight out" is not consistent with MFA requirements - just added in Penang to increase the tea-money.

Personally, 3 back-to-bacck T-VISAs mean that you are  l i v i n g  here. Got a story or explanation when confronted?

You get 60-days permitted upon arrival, then 30-more days with immigration's permission at an office.  Then you leave.  Then you apply for visa-permission to return, for 60-days, again clearing immigration, and so on.  So, really, you are just making visits to Thailand, with each one receiving separate permission. 

Confrontations are rare except at certain entry-points - the Bangkok airports and the Poipet/Aranya border-crossing.  The important thing, is that you are not violating the published restrictions of the visas/extensions you receive - you are self-funded / not working a Thai job. 

Your explanation would be how you fund your stay / why you don't need to work in Thailand, combined with your possession of 20K Baht worth of cash.  At the dangerous crossings, they may not care, but reports indicate that at the honest ones, it is fine.

Hopefully not sidetracking the back and forth advice about staying in Thailand long term, being under 50, not wishing or able for elite visa etc.

Why don't few members "get together" and ask to PIN a topic perhaps..." How to stay long term in los while under 50".

There must be zillion people that have asked this over the years. Yes it will need updates, but hey why keep reinventing the wheel. The advice above from couple of members is very detailed and feeling accurate.

Bit irrelevant but I'm not big fan of circumventing the ways of staying here. If I was in 40s for sure I would buy an elite.