Family blame police in Nakhon Phanom after chase results in death of helmet-less son, 14

webfact

I have seen dozens of times people on bikes totally ignoring the cops and just drive thru without a helmut (I've done it several times and just wave to the cops) and the cops never chase anyone.

So you think it's a good idea to drive without a helmet ? You are a westerner and should be educated about safety on the roads.
Still you drive around without a helmet in the country that have more deadly bike accidents than anywhere else on the planet.

I hope you do not have kids .

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, xylophone said:

Way before we get to the actual accident scene other things have taken place which are the real cause of death in this case...…..

A child is allowed to ride a motorbike when he is too young to do so, and when he hasn't had training or got a licence to enable him to be on the road.

He did not wear a helmet.

Doubtful then that his parents taught him road skills or the need for safety and to wear a helmet, but he still sets out regardless. Of course if they had done their job properly he would not have been allowed anywhere near the bike.

All of the real mistakes were made BEFORE the police became involved, and were made by the parents, no two ways about it.

"Teach your children well...………." was Crosby & Stills song from way back and these parents didn't.

Agreed, thanks for spelling out what would be a solution to keep children safer than what I provided. Again, the police are not responsible for parenting, if parents took care of their responsibilities there would be a lot fewer problems (and deaths of children) in society.

From a purely emotional basis and with the benefit of hindsight, of course the parents will be looking for someone else as the “fault”... I think that’s understandable.

but.... I think from a purely independent perspective that it was the deceased actions which apparently was the genesis to the events.  Sure, the police officer could or even perhaps should have done something different.. that’s a fair statement.... but I think it has to be viewed on the context of what happened >at that exact moment< and considering all the factors in play. 

I think maybe the police actions exasterbated the situation, but largely it sounds like it was the deceased who initiated it.  

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to see such a young life ended so abruptly and all because of a few Baht (the price of a helmet or the fine for not wearing one). 

I do, however, side with the cop on this one. 

I see this type of behaviour daily when I'm in Korat. Young lads (mainly) racing around day in, day out on bikes, reeving, racing, trying to do wheelies, etc. and not a SINGLE adult/parent says a word to any of them. 

18 hours ago, djayz said:

Sad to see such a young life ended so abruptly and all because of a few Baht (the price of a helmet or the fine for not wearing one). 

I do, however, side with the cop on this one. 

I see this type of behaviour daily when I'm in Korat. Young lads (mainly) racing around day in, day out on bikes, reeving, racing, trying to do wheelies, etc. and not a SINGLE adult/parent says a word to any of them. 

The same thing happens here in the North I have seen parents teaching their children of junior school age how to “drive” motorbikes.

The local plumber has a motorbike with a “sidecar” I have seen on several occasions his 11 year old daughter driving the bike with her 6 year old sister in the sidecar

It beggars belief.

Archived