Family blame police in Nakhon Phanom after chase results in death of helmet-less son, 14

webfact

12 minutes ago, Longstaff said:

Let's get this right....cop chases a boy for riding a motorbike without a helmet, because riding a bike without a helmet is UNSAFE...and as a consequence the boy hits a tree and dies because not wearing a helmet.... //

You are wrong. The cop chased him because he refused to stop at the control, an action that very often means that you have a reason more serious than no-helmet to not be checked by cops...

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So easy to fix the traffic problems if the police wanted to:

!) You cannot buy a motorbike unless you have a helmut first or sold same time purchase made

2) You cannot renew your yearly certificate unless you show you own a helmut 

3. If you get stopped and ticketed you get your bike confiscated until you show you bought a helmut with a receipt

4) Instead of ticketing those with no helmuts, the cops sell them a helmut and add on 100 baht fee

5) Give everyone in the country a 3 month notice no helmut no bike if caught.

Problems solved. Gee, how hard is that?  Yes, blame the boy's parents but the corruption killed him too

14 minutes ago, Leef said:

The parents of the boy are responsible but so is the policeman. All the people on here posting that they have no sympathy etc I bet most of them have at times ridden, even if just pillion, without a helmet. The policeman should have shown better judgement but it seems he was no more mature than the boy. 

"Without a helmet"

Never-do you think that I don't have any brains?

5 hours ago, VYCM said:

The thing is the rider did not STOP.

I see it too often, riders avoiding the checkpoints, racing pasts puting the officers life in Danger

(what are your thoughts here).

These riders carry drugs, firearms etc, how can law enforcement stop criminal activity.

The people avoiding checkpoints just carry on breaking the law.

It seems the only people stopping for the checkpoints are the law abiding citizens.

Yes. One of the reasons the drug suppliers use younger kids as "mules", because they will not be as heavily penalized if caught.
Sad, but NOT the fault of the cop. Sorry, Darkside, but IMO you are off on this one.

Job wel done MR police, the to jong driver took off ant get in to an accident, iff he did wat the policeman ask him to do he was still walking around.  The kids family have to get big a fine to, for let the to jong boy drive a m.bike and cost for police time and clean up the road after the rubbish the boy make when he hit the tree.

9 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

Are you saying those Thais who do not wear helmuts have no brains? If so how can you blame them for not wearing a helmut?

KevinboyCM.  This story has nothing to do with the lad wearing a helmet. 

The lad ran a checkpoint/stop and off he went.  Only his family are hanging onto the helmet story which is completely diversionary. 

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Interesting logic...

If I say what I really think the mods will suspend me yet it should be rather clear by now what the issues are methinks. It's twofold: A) They don't have any common sense and B) The police don't really want them to all wear helmuts. 

I used to drop off, and then pick up, my Thai niece at Varee International School in Chiang Mai when I first moved here.  I was literally stunned at the number of YOUNG kids, some as young as 11, driving to school on their motorbikes, no helmets, usually 2-3 at a time on a bike.  I made it clear to her that if she was ever that stupid, she would be riding a bicycle till she was 30.  

5 hours ago, VYCM said:

The thing is the rider did not STOP.

I see it too often, riders avoiding the checkpoints, racing pasts puting the officers life in Danger

(what are your thoughts here).

These riders carry drugs, firearms etc, how can law enforcement stop criminal activity.

The people avoiding checkpoints just carry on breaking the law.

It seems the only people stopping for the checkpoints are the law abiding citizens.

Exactly.  In some parts of LOS drug runners purposely use juveniles as couriers.  So let 'em go?   Sorry Mum & Dad, another little emperor (spoiled son) pays for the stupidity and disregard for law and commonsense of the parents.

2 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I used to drop off, and then pick up, my Thai niece at Varee International School in Chiang Mai when I first moved here.  I was literally stunned at the number of YOUNG kids, some as young as 11, driving to school on their motorbikes, no helmets, usually 2-3 at a time on a bike.  I made it clear to her that if she was ever that stupid, she would be riding a bicycle till she was 30.  

So you have to ask yourself

1) Why would anyone here in the most dangerous driving country in the world ride a motorbike with no helmut?

2) Again, why would anyone ride with a 2-3-4-5 year old hanging on to the handlebars?

3) Why do the cops not put a stop to it?

2 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

So you have to ask yourself

1) Why would anyone here in the most dangerous driving country in the world ride a motorbike with no helmut?

2) Again, why would anyone ride with a 2-3-4-5 year old hanging on to the handlebars?

3) Why do the cops not put a stop to it?

Not relevant to this thread, KevinboyCM. 

The lad chose not to wear a helmet and he wasn't 2 to 5 years of age.  The cops tried to put a stop to his reckless behaviour but he made a decision to run for it and bounced off a tree.  Up to him and I'm sorry that he bounced off the tree to end his short life.  Crazy, isn't it?

11 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

If I say what I really think the mods will suspend me yet it should be rather clear by now what the issues are methinks. It's twofold: A) They don't have any common sense and B) The police don't really want them to all wear helmuts. 

Yes..my Thai niece was flattened (2 weeks in intensive care) along with her pillion passenger-they were both 14 at the time and helmet less..

I made her swear to me on the multiple tombs of her ancestors that she would wear her helmet whenever she was on her scooter.

Two weeks later I say her with two pillion passengers (all without helmets) zooming over a busy bridge on their way to school.

I gave up after that.

5 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It is notable that in many civilised countries, police have been told to back off when high speed pursuits begin, even when stolen cars are involved, on the grounds that it ends in too many unnecessary deaths. I note the article states he was chased because he had no helmet. Perhaps you think that such a heinous crime is sufficient to warrant an untimely death. From a small locale, and undoubtedly having his registration, they could have caught up with him at their leisure and he would still be alive.

Ok we all know the outcome and the reason behind it all, but that's with hindsight!

The police could just as well be saying they gave chase because he chose to evade police by not stopping and riding off, maybe they could say he might have been hiding/carrying something..

just because he didn't stop at the time doesn't mean it was just down to the "no helmet" issue

police have the right to chase to find out what's going on !!

Idiotic parents once again showing why Thailand is still in the 20th century with no hope of getting educated by teaching their son their own low standards !

Same ol' Thai story, blame someone else except themselves...Zillions of underage kids are given keys to bikes for school runs every day, totally illegal and most without helmets.....Parents like this lads cannot/will not face the fact the lad is lost because of them..????

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Ok we all know the outcome and the reason behind it all, but that's with hindsight!

The police could just as well be saying they gave chase because he chose to evade police by not stopping and riding off, maybe they could say he might have been hiding/carrying something..

just because he didn't stop at the time doesn't mean it was just down to the "no helmet" issue

police have the right to chase to find out what's going on !!

Idiotic parents once again showing why Thailand is still in the 20th century with no hope of getting educated by teaching their son their own low standards !

I wonder whether they searched the body for anything, and blood test for drugs. Should have!

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Are the boys parents serious?

The only people to blame for this are themselves and their son.

The boy should not have been allowed to ride a motorbike, too young, no license, no insurance, no helmet.

The boy is dead and that is tragic, but his parents are seeing his death as a way to make money..... Sickening.

You are the most dispicable person that I have ever seen writing on this forum. That boy did not deserve to die as you would attest. In Thsiland it is normal for children and adults to go without helmets. There are many driving up the wrong side of the road or on the footpath, passing red lights and travelling 4 to a bike. However none of them deserve to die for these fineable mistermenours. His licence plate no. Would be recorded on a police camera and his address could be gone to and wait for him or the police officer could have taken his number. There was no risk assesment done as is frequently the case. That officer could have caused an accident involving many children and adults and more deaths. All for the sake of a law. The boy had hurt no one? If he killed himself because he did not wear a helmet then that is that. However he would not have died if the police had not chased him for 200 Baht. Remember the real law says that in order to fine or imprison anyone, you have to produce a victim. In this case the boy is the victim. 

I see young boys like this on bikes all the time. Almost always revving them to make a loud noise, almost always driving too fast and in a reckless manner. Most of them take off the rear view mirrors because they aren't cool. They virtually never wear a helmet (thats not cool either). And lastly so many of them try wheelies in the most stupid places, often with passengers on the back. At 14 they cannot have a licence, therefore no insurance. They seem to think that galvanised aluminium bits are more important than a bulb for their rear lights. I find myself wondering what kind of parents give an expensive bike to a child that is not trained, not licensed, not insured, and not mature enough to be racing around on the roads with a death machine. The answer is nowhere, until the kid suffers the consequences of their OWN stupid, reckless, irresponsible actions when all of a sudden they are looking for someone to blame. The blame is on them! These parents should go home and reflect on their own stupidity, and not look for opportunity to make money from an avoidable death.

This falls in the "be careful what you ask for" category.  Piss the police off enough and they will start enforcing the age limit law for driving. Have to wonder if there are any additional violations that could be tacked on to the parents ie. allowing an unlicensed person to operate their vehicle, child negligence, etc. etc.  

on another note, whereas I completely agree that police are in their right to try to stop a traffic offender, from the photograph in the header I conclude that the lad was not stabilised after the accident, instead his helmet less  head was allowed to move around, what in itself is a nono after any motorbike accident.

Seems the policeman did not pay attention in Emergency response and First Aid class.

12 minutes ago, stropper said:

and you are a typical 2018 <deleted> wit !

No I don't think that the poster is.

What he/she highlights is just exactly how far one takes law enforcement at the cost of a life.

The major problem being that law enforcement in Thailand appears to be enforced without logic or rationality.

A boot off the bike here and there is nothing to allowing thousands (hundred of thousands?) of schoolkids drive helmet less and without licences to school everyday...

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Are the boys parents serious?

The only people to blame for this are themselves and their son.

The boy should not have been allowed to ride a motorbike, too young, no license, no insurance, no helmet.

The boy is dead and that is tragic, but his parents are seeing his death as a way to make money..... Sickening.

Your wrong. A young kid being forced to initiate a high speed chase is wrong. 

That's what registration plates are for. lf was my son l beat the life out of that scum cop. Only in Thailand is there such vrain dead law enforcers 

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

You are wrong. The cop chased him because he refused to stop at the control, an action that very often means that you have a reason more serious than no-helmet to not be checked by cops...

Did you bother to read the original post?

"He was chased because he was not wearing a helmet and refused to stop."

28 minutes ago, transam said:

Same ol' Thai story, blame someone else except themselves...Zillions of underage kids are given keys to bikes for school runs every day, totally illegal and most without helmets.....Parents like this lads cannot/will not face the fact the lad is lost because of them..????

Spot on Transam……..

7 hours ago, TConthePC said:

And the parents should feel responsible for not educating their son to wear a motorcycle helmet, plus letting him ride on the open roads at a young age.

Thai culture or not to wear a helmet, if you care about someone, look after their interests.

True about educating, I think Thailand needs an education, Helmet for all, country wide, not less than 16 yo driving n a license, maybe 8-10 for riders, on roads, no more than 2 people on bike, go the same direction of traffic, NO RIDING ON SIDEWALKS!!!!, Driving with both hands, no smoking while driving........... I saw one guy a couple months ago, man n baby, baby in drivers arm also holding an umbrella in an alley with pot holes and speed bumps not just idle-ling, I guess he did make it home???? They shouldn't allow lane splitting!!.......

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To be quite honest, I feel the police in traffic stops are often way too gung ho in their actions. I have seen them drag people off a speeding bike, regardless of the potential injury it can cause. And for what? Minor traffic offences. I fully agree the boy should have been wearing a helmet, but to chase a kid causing an accident that kills the lad over a bloody helmet is wrong. If he had been a wanted murderer, or some other serious offence it would be acceptable, but for this they are out or order in my book.

Why are they out of order?

The boy should not have been on the bike in the first place and therefore along with the thousands of others who drive underage, without licenses and uninsured would not need to be stopped.

A different story I suppose if he had killed someone he would be criticized.

Archived