5 Day Overstay - Border Run or Airport?

My Son is now 5 days overstay (Dad's mistake). English Passport, been living in Thailand many years, 16 Years old, currently on a Visa Waiver entry (30 days), will later get ED Visa later but has to go through the 30Days, 90Days then one year Visa process.

With a 5 day overstay, is a border run OK? Or is an exit at the airport the only safe way?

If a Border Run is possible, any recommendations for an operator with a good reputation in Bangkok? (quality of driving/ driver the key points)

Thanks

Edited by PMZ

6 hours ago, PMZ said:

currently on a Visa Waiver entry (30 days),

He qualifies for a 30 day extension of stay from immigration for 1,900 baht.

As long as you pay the overstay fine they will probably still allow a late applicantion.

• Like 1

So much easyer to go the airport and go to immigration desk and report your overstay. at Suvanabum they are very helpful but I would be nervous at the other BBK airport. I would personally do a border run if it the other airport. 

Last time I left from Suvanabum I was 7 days over, just informed the immigration and I had to go to the office after I went through and given the invoice to pay 3,500 and off I went. Came back 3 months later, no probs.

24 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Out of curiosity if caught at a police check point on overstay as a 16 year old what would happen? Would there be some leeway regarding his age?

I don't think they would be detained like an adult would be.

Children under the age of 18 are exempted from being banned for an overstay.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for useful info, as always, especially to @ubonjoe 

To report back on the final status.

My Son said that the journey was easy, the crossing and fine process very painless and polite (compared to an experience he had before at BKK), the crossing back was simple and back in Bangkok by 15:00 hrs.

He used https://www.thaivisaservice.com/

He said they left pick-up point at 04:45hrs, van was good, driver good and staff great. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PMZ said:

Thanks to all for useful info, as always, especially to @ubonjoe 

To report back on the final status.

My Son said that the journey was easy, the crossing and fine process very painless and polite (compared to an experience he had before at BKK), the crossing back was simple and back in Bangkok by 15:00 hrs.

He used https://www.thaivisaservice.com/

He said they left pick-up point at 04:45hrs, van was good, driver good and staff great. 

I just love it when guys post back to close the loop, making the threads so much more informative for everyone.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2018 at 4:49 PM, elviajero said:

He qualifies for a 30 day extension of stay from immigration for 1,900 baht.

As long as you pay the overstay fine they will probably still allow a late applicantion.

Probably depends of the IO but a couple of years ago i had 1 or 2 days of overstay and when i applied for an 30 days extension at Nontharburi i had to pay the fine + the 1,900 THB and they gave me only 7 days instead of 30 because i applied too late, so ...

Wasn't really a good day !

2 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Probably depends of the IO but a couple of years ago i had 1 or 2 days of overstay and when i applied for an 30 days extension at Nontharburi i had to pay the fine + the 1,900 THB and they gave me only 7 days instead of 30 because i applied too late, so ...

Wasn't really a good day !

That is rare, but Nontharburi is a famously unhelpful office.