Copy shop next to Jomtien IO is "certifying" Income documents

21 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Thailand wants expats to spend more money in the economy, and the change may force the less financial strong expats to go back home.

That result would also result in less spending into the Thai economy. And they would likely not go "home" in any case - just spend their money in Cambodia, Vietnam, the PI, Latin America, etc.

Edited by JackThompson

14 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Those of us who live month to month on our income, DO NOT HAVE property, businesses or ANYTHING to sell. // We MORE than qualify at around 80 thousand a month, yet many of you are saying that we shouldn't be here because we didn't retire as millionaires.

I don't want to criticize, but how can someone live abroad without a "comfortable amount of money" quickly available in case of emergency? Insurance will not cover everything, and often only part of the bill, and hospital bills can be huge !

Nothing ridiculous (IMHO) in an emergency amount about 1 million baht, and it could be use for Immigration purpose too.

(and yes, I understand it's too late for some people to get it now :sad:)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I don't want to criticize, but how can someone live abroad without a "comfortable amount of money" quickly available in case of emergency? Insurance will not cover everything, and often only part of the bill, and hospital bills can be huge !

Nothing ridiculous (IMHO) in an emergency amount about 1 million baht, and it could be use for Immigration purpose too.

Well, they are all posting on this thread.  You can ask them. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

None of the Elite money goes to immigration higher-ups?  I bet it does.

The Non-OA Visa requires a trip home - total costs and trouble far exceeding an agent-extension, so not a "threat" to "business."

Whether Thailand Elite money goes from MoFA to Thai IMM I have no idea -- it is still a VISA stamped in your passport. As to the O-A, if you are going back to USA just for the O-A it makes no sense. If you are going to USA anyway, then it does.

If the O-A is good for 2 years and the Agent fee is 25K baht per year then the 50K baht agent fee for 2 years covers a good chunk of the trip back to USA for the O-A.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

And for the last 10 years I haven't put 800K baht in a Thai bank and the yearly extension costs me 1900 baht plus 1750 baht for the income affidavit and maybe one or 2 days without the beach and pina coladas out of 365.

I think you may be on to something, if immigration supplied Pina Coladas while you wait, it would be the perfect system.

About 4 years ago I went into Jomtien IO to do a 90 day report. At that time I was relying on an Embassy income verification for a 1 year Retirement extension. Because of the strengthening baht I was worried that I would not have enough income from my pensions to meet the 800,000bht requirement. There was a Scandinavian guy based in the IO helping expats, so I explained my predicament to him. He took me to speak with an Officer at the Retirement Extension desk and I was told 'face to face' that if I opened a Kasikorn bank account and returned to the office 1 month before my extension expired I could renew it on payment of a 15.000bht fee.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Whether Thailand Elite money goes from MoFA to Thai IMM I have no idea -- it is still a VISA stamped in your passport. As to the O-A, if you are going back to USA just for the O-A it makes no sense. If you are going to USA anyway, then it does.

If the O-A is good for 2 years and the Agent fee is 25K baht per year then the 50K baht agent fee for 2 years covers a good chunk of the trip back to USA for the O-A.

All makes sense but like I mentioned before the Livescan is requested by some offices.

That is the DOJ criminal history check.

That can take 6 to 8 weeks.

I know you are like me going back there you don't want to sit on your A waiting.

So??

43 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Personally, I have more than the equivalent of 800k in a uk bank - but it is there for the type of emergency you mention.

If I am unable to use the income route in the future, then obviously I will have to transfer it to a Thai bank account - which means it is no longer easily available for emergencies - as spending it will result in not being able to satisfy the extension requirements next time round!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

So now what's left is you can razz me on the financials and the medical report.

????

Was actually trying to be helpful like I said the LA office wanted Livescan.

I am sure you will pass everything with flying colors.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Was actually trying to be helpful like I said the LA office wanted Livescan.

I am sure you will pass everything with flying colors.

But that's Los Angeles.

Text from MBrown JUN 21 2018 above:

"I got mine through a County Sheriff's office in California.  I made the request and picked up a signed letter two days later.  The Thai LA consulate accepted it for my Non-Immigrant O-A visa without question."

Also note that the WashDC Thai Embassy makes no mention of the Livescan for O-A:

7.  Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable )

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Yes that's why I am set up to do an O-A in USA well before my current extension is up end of 2019.

And while I realize you're having a good time playing drama queen on all this, I think it will be a long time before anyone with legitimately 800K in a Thai bank for 3 months is going to have any problem getting a one year extension via retirement route.

Yes, that could be right, but then 800k has been the level for a long time, so that could go up too, but this thread doesn't really concern people who use the 800k method.  

19 minutes ago, sevenhills said:

Yes the do, and accepted with a donation. 

That's OK -- maybe I'll go in and ask for the IMM Act Section 35 waiver from the Big Cheese and here's my 1900 baht as per Ministerial regulation.

But this topic and others is morphing into a You'll Be Sorry If You Don't Use An Agent and it's getting a little ridiculous

Edited by JLCrab
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2018 at 11:38 AM, onera1961 said:

Yes, what was the standard procedure in those days and when did embassies start issuing income letters?

Maybe things have been too easy for me and I follow the rules whenever possible.  I currently use the 800,000 baht rule 3 months prior to renewal for the Non-O, although sometimes just keep 800,000 all-year-round.  I don't know why people have problems with Imm.  Here in Lopburi, they are friendly, don't bother much with exactly 3-months prior, I would think 800,000 baht should be no big deal for any farang looking to stay here year-round and I never have to report for my 90-day report.  They always mail and email me my slip for stapling in my passport.  

Back in the mid-2000's when I was certificate married to a Thai girl I just went to the US Embassy, filled-out a form that said I earn [whatever amount I put down in the application form] and I printed a letter from my dormant old Japanese company that I had "such and such retirement benefit income yearly" and the US Embassy printed a letter for my income signed by the Dept. Ambassador.  That was around 2006 for my Thai Wife Visa at that time. 

Not sure why people have so many problems with Imm.  Here in mid-country, it's easy-peasy and I show my face once a year except when I bring back souvenirs when I travel abroad.  I have quite a few academic degrees, so they call me "Dr" when I go there in person, but I have always been friendly with them and never had to go the bribe route and everything is as smooth as silk.

PRG

On 11/28/2018 at 11:33 AM, dcnx said:

Exactly. Foreigners love to call things shady or unethical here, but it’s just how they do business.

And what do you call those who use their services? Do you really believe that shady, unethical business doesn't take place in your home country? 

It takes two to complete an unethical deal. If fake letters are being produced, it wouldn't be Thais buying them. And occasionally, if someone falls out of favor with the authorities, there will be arrests to demonstrate vigilance. Sacrificial sheep are not unknown.

Since each embassy has distinct stamps and/or raised seals I can't imagine a copy shop would be able to come up with convincing fakes.

Anyway, it seems that the way things may be going, some embassies have already announced they would cease issuing the letters soon and there looks to be a limited life for those supposedly issued so what will they then be faking?

People do get caught out and guess who pays the price. 

On 10/3/2014 at 3:55 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Recently Immigration has found a number of passports with fake rubber stamps, as people are departing from the Kingdom.

Please be aware that there are agents and people who have sold fake visa extension stamps to unsuspecting foreigners.

Please be careful when applying through a visa extension agent, that the agent shows you an official receipt of 1,900 from Immigration, for your extension.”

A Thai con man has been detained by Thai police after the exposure and collapse of his fake permanent visa scam. The case highlights the acute vulnerability of foreigners in Thailand when doubts emerge about their ability to properly renew visas or keep all immigration affairs in perfect order.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2018/11/09/thai-conman-arrested-for-selling-fake-visas-to-unsuspecting-foreigners-as-one-innocent-farang-spends-2-months-in-thai-prison/

On 11/28/2018 at 11:32 AM, KittenKong said:

And yet there is an entirely official copy/photo stand inside Immigration that charges a lot less for copies etc. than the ones immediately outside do.

But ... but ... it's almost common knowledge and knowledge, common or otherwise, is a rare commodity in some of these threads.

On 11/28/2018 at 11:27 AM, KhunFred said:

The copy shop is OWNED by Immigration personnel. That is almost common knowledge.

8 minutes ago, sgoodes said:

I'm in the process of starting the ball rolling converting a METV to Non O "A" and I was given a price of 38k to do it from a certain visa agent which I wont name as it's all new to me and I wouldnt intentionally damage anyone's rep.

I thought it was a bit steep but then I thought it was the going rate as there's the 800k that they will assist with. I have the money plus approx 275k per month income but I'm reluctant to have that money sitting in my K Bank account so they'll sort that and maybe next year I'll do it.

I also got told by a bloke that there's a small place opposite Sweethearts that will do the same for around 14k.

It's all a bit confusing as I always leant towards if sounds too cheap then it may be dodgier than the dearer ones.

Who knows. More homework for me I guess.

Nothing wrong with Thai banks.

Despite all the scaremongering on Tv.

Why give your money to someone else.

thats a few beers and maybe a few happy endings. :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

I suppose some people use an agent while legitimately meeting all legal requirements, simply for convenience.

But it seems a lot either can't prove income and don't have the lump sum available and the agents provide a work around.

If this requires bribing immigration officials, this is clearly illegal.

The other position I've seen posted is "so what if it's illegal, this is Thailand..that's how things work here."

That's fair enough as far as it goes. Maybe pursuing an illegal venture is the only way to stay in the country for you.

But what happens if you're wrong and BJ or some future authority is actually serious about eliminating corruption?

If they, say, start checking the bank accounts of people who use agents to avoid the financial obligation?

Never happen, corruption is the grease that keeps the wheels turning.

OK, let's run with that.

You were willing to pay 20-30K to make an end run around the law.

I'm not sure if there is a Thai law that criminalizes "conspiracy to bribe a government official"

I'd guess that there is and the penalty would be years in jail.

If corruption is that rampant, how much would you be willing to spend to make that charge go away?

Of course this might never happen. But putting your faith in the fidelity of corruption seems a little misguided to me.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 11:32 AM, KittenKong said:

And yet there is an entirely official copy/photo stand inside Immigration that charges a lot less for copies etc. than the ones immediately outside do.

Where is the one inside? My recollection is 5b per copy outside. What is it inside?

9 minutes ago, Psychic said:

I'm not sure if there is a Thai law that criminalizes "conspiracy to bribe a government official"

I'd guess that there is and the penalty would be years in jail.

THAILAND CRIMINAL CODE

Section 267. Lying to Government Official

Whoever causes an official in the execution of their duty to make any false entry in the public or official document for the aims to be used as evidence, shall be imprisoned not more of three years or fined not more of six thousand Baht, or both.