Thai Drivers Licence Renewal

Don Graham

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's odd isn't it? "Green lights start climbing, you brake, as you would in a car" who would do that in a car? Usually you brake at amber/red.

"If you are too slow (which normal braking is fine), it reaches red lights" also strange?

It's done like this in every test centre in Thailand.. don't try and make me out to be stupid.. you are are the one that cannot seem to grasp it. 

I have passed both car and motorbike tests, so if you don't understand it, maybe ask one of your friends who can understand it.. I didn't design the machine, someone else did. You have to brake during the GREEN light sequence, and do it BEFORE the red lights come on, or you FAIL that test... absolutely nothing to do with driving down a highway stopping at traffic lights... Jesus.

just ignore this comment, you probably are lost on it again anyway.

• Haha 1

No no no....
it's the lights on the machine.
See the picture. You sit at the accelerator and brake. Now do you see the machine at the other end? Well that starts a row of green lights, and you have to brake before it gets to the red lights ... nothing to do with traffic lights in that test. But traffic lights are a different test which you wouldn't get to, because you would of already failed by the seems of it.
 I suggest maybe you shouldn't try to pass your test. 
90457676-7B57-4B9B-A6E7-5289BBDC7331.jpeg.d3368d87ff66c0110663cea9c7b8f7e7.jpeg
My point was you were explaining it based on a car but that sequence of lights is nothing to do with a car, but thanks for posting the photo

It's done like this in every test centre in Thailand.. don't try and make me out to be stupid.. you are are the one that cannot seem to grasp it. 
I have passed both car and motorbike tests, so if you don't understand it, maybe ask one of your friends who can understand it.. I didn't design the machine, someone else did. You have to brake during the GREEN light sequence, and do it BEFORE the red lights come on, or you FAIL that test... absolutely nothing to do with driving down a highway stopping at traffic lights... Jesus.
just ignore this comment, you probably are lost on it again anyway.
Calm down you're getting very excited, you'll give yourself a cardiac arrest, what is it with thai visa people like getting angry over nothing.

You were describing it like its perfectly logical "like a car" but its not, but you can't see that, that's ok, relax

I went for my driving licence in Pattaya last yr in Nov (I only converted from my country to thai no driving test was required).

Firstly the whole place was packed from first thing in the morning till the arvo.   We did the colour test,  first old ferang couldnt tell the difference between yellow and white so people just chimed in and told him the answer.  The tester didnt care and everyone passed, if you didnt know some chimed in even the Thais were joining in, it was quite the bonrding experience.  Next we done the reaction test as the above picture again Nobody failed, some thai woman didnt hit the brakes for a solid 2 seconds after the lights were red, this ended in laughter and went into some type of game who was the slowest.  Next we were ushered into the room to watch the dvd on road rules which we had a powerout after 10mins.  Which left everyone none the wiser to the road rules.  Overall it was a fun day out with more people licensed to kill.

11 hours ago, BigT73 said:

I went for my driving licence in Pattaya last yr in Nov (I only converted from my country to thai no driving test was required).

Firstly the whole place was packed from first thing in the morning till the arvo.   We did the colour test,  first old ferang couldnt tell the difference between yellow and white so people just chimed in and told him the answer.  The tester didnt care and everyone passed, if you didnt know some chimed in even the Thais were joining in, it was quite the bonrding experience.  Next we done the reaction test as the above picture again Nobody failed, some thai woman didnt hit the brakes for a solid 2 seconds after the lights were red, this ended in laughter and went into some type of game who was the slowest.  Next we were ushered into the room to watch the dvd on road rules which we had a powerout after 10mins.  Which left everyone none the wiser to the road rules.  Overall it was a fun day out with more people licensed to kill.

The same when I went three weeks ago. I quite enjoyed it. It was a bit like a television game show. I'm 85 and I've been given a licence for another five years to test my wits against other drivers on Thai roads till I'm 90. Optimism is my middle name.

Edited by Gandtee
spelling
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Calm down you're getting very excited, you'll give yourself a cardiac arrest, what is it with thai visa people like getting angry over nothing.

You were describing it like its perfectly logical "like a car" but its not, but you can't see that, that's ok, relax

In most cars I know of, you have an accelerator and a brake... so it is like a car. You seem to be the only one that cannot understand that basic principal. I feel sorry for you.

I've just had my full annual medical, and my heart is as strong as can be, so only a small chance of a coronary. But you needn't worry about your brain exploding, it won't cause much damage.

In most cars I know of, you have an accelerator and a brake... so it is like a car. You seem to be the only one that cannot understand that basic principal. I feel sorry for you.
I've just had my full annual medical, and my heart is as strong as can be, so only a small chance of a coronary. But you needn't worry about your brain exploding, it won't cause much damage.
So you now get that the green and red lights are nothing like a car? They don't explain it by the way that's why so many people fail it, but you think its all obvious and clear, ok

They explain it well enough in Thai...the pedals are like that of an automatic car...if you drive a manual then it could be confusing first time with only 2 pedals....you are supposed to press the accelerator until the led lights turns from green to red..as soon as red appears you press the brake pedal as quick as you can before the red led lights right to the top and a buzzer sounds...if buzzer sounds then you're supposed to fail but at Pattaya about 70% got the buzzer no one failed !

39 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

I've held a Thai drivers licence for 15 years, I have to renew it soon.  I passed a recent medical with flying colours but I'm 73yo now, is there a maximum age.

Similar question just answered in a parallel thread.

And the answer is: no age limit.

The other poster (recently having done his renewal) claims to be 80.

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

So you now get that the green and red lights are nothing like a car? They don't explain it by the way that's why so many people fail it, but you think its all obvious and clear, ok

If you ask they will tell you to wait for the red light.

Just like a car, take your foot off the gas and hit the brake.

Some will fail to get a grip on this simple test. Should they be behind the wheel of a car, maybe not.

Watch and learn from 3:20 --

If you ask they will tell you to wait for the red light.

Interesting you say "wait for the red light", the other guy above getting excited said brake before the red but he knows it and everyone else is stupid. Shows the misunderstanding that can happen.

The lady in the video doesn't appear to tell him what to do.

Personally i waited for the red and seemed to pass but they didn't tell people what to do. Maybe they did in Thai but didn't bother in English

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting you say "wait for the red light", the other guy above getting excited said brake before the red but he knows it and everyone else is stupid. Shows the misunderstanding that can happen.

The lady in the video doesn't appear to tell him what to do.

Personally i waited for the red and seemed to pass but they didn't tell people what to do. Maybe they did in Thai but didn't bother in English

I guess you made the right choice because it appears red comes on before green goes out.

test.JPG.62b463835e239ecfebc1347da8ec9771.JPG