Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah I don't know the future for UK like remainers do, I don't understand them wanting UK to be part of a type of United States, my view has always been it's never gonna work.

From the start I just have looked at the countries in the mafia club, as I have said before look at the state of Greece, Italy's got the hump, Spain, Portugal, and look at the state of France, Hungry and Poland are against grain of EU, the only lot to have benefited is Germany, Austria.

I think it was Maggie who said she wanted a deal like Switzerland and " not the UK, being one of the EU's largest economies paying more than most members.

Only Germany and France consistently contribute more funding, while Italy pays about the same amount."

UK will never be a switzerland,wake up and smell the coffee

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah well many want UK to rule itself instead of being in constant arguments concerning other countries.

the UK has argued amongst itself everyday for 2.5 years,where have you been hibernating.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Well it was suggested in the beginning and as for American drivel I drink tea.

It was a dream made up by farage and bojo,sinpapore was the other place touted around???? deams for dreamers

13 hours ago, aright said:

I won't be taking any lectures from Remainers on democracy, you showed your colours after the referendum.

What, like declaring 52/48 was too close to call and another vote would be required?

Hang on, that was Farage!

14 hours ago, aright said:

Just remind me at what democratic EU election did I vote for Martin Selmayr.

Martin Selmayr is a civil servant. Tell me, when did you vote for Jeremy Heywood, or any other British civil servant?

14 hours ago, aright said:

As far as voting is concerned;-

Not voting makes you the problem. (hardly expressing concerns is it?)

Not voting means voting for the candidate you dislike.

Not voting is a pathetic, ineffective form of protest.

Expressing concerns takes many forms; including protest votes and not voting at all. 

That you want to remove such protests under the guise of calling voting one of your 4 tenets of citizenship leads me to wonder if you prefer to live in a state where all protest is illegal!

Bomber chose not to vote, for his own reasons. You insist that this means he has no right to express his concerns and opinions. Do you also believe that of those expats who regularly and loudly post in favour of Brexit in these threads who also didn't vote, even though many of them would have been eligible to do so had they bothered to register?

I know that some ex pat members here did register and did vote in the referendum, whilst others were unable to so do because they were ineligible, e.g. because they had lived out of the UK for too long. I'm asking you about those who were eligible but didn't bother.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Democracy depends upon laws and rules being followed. Democracy doesn’t work if laws and rules can be ignored and overturned by some abusing their power. If those laws and rules say that I can vote for MPs to represent me and the country, then such vote only works if it’s being followed, rather than a prime minister trying to overturn parliamentary representative democracy and thus my right to vote for someone to represent me. 

Democracy also depends upon fair votes. When votes are being manipulated, the purpose of it is being defeated, and the vote is worth nothing and should not be enacted upon. When millions of voters have been lied to, how do you want to know whether the vote they casted is actually what they wanted? The result says nothing, or only that people voted for the many lies being told. As those lies, however, cannot be implemented, the peoples’ votes are not being acted upon as you demand.

What lies were told to the voters Brexiters ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

What, like declaring 52/48 was too close to call and another vote would be required?

Hang on, that was Farage!

Yes, the man who talks nonsense said something that you now parrot. Should tell you something.

12 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Yes, the man who talks nonsense said something that you now parrot. Should tell you something.

Yes, it tells me a lot about Brexiteers who saw him as their champion then and the many who still do.

Parrot? Only quote to point out it was an ardent Leaver who said 52/48 was too close to call and so should result in a second referendum. Can you find a similar quote from anyone on the remain side?

But myself and others who are calling for a second referendum are not doing so because the last result was close; we are doing so for reasons I've explained many times, the last being above

19 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

In a democracy people have the right to change their mind; whether it's about the candidate they voted for in the last election or the option they chose in a referendum.

The time to make a final decision on something like Brexit is before it becomes irreversible. Once we are out, we are out and if, or more likely when, in a few years time the country realises what a huge mistake Brexit was and wants to rejoin we'd have lost the rebate and like any new member have to join Schengen and commit to joining the Euro.

Now that the consequences of each option are much clearer than they were in 2016, the people should be given the final choice in a single transferable vote ballot; May's deal, no deal or cancel Brexit and remain.

As I have asked many times

20 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

If, as so many Brexiteers insist, support for Brexit is stronger than ever, why are so many afraid of another referendum?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Now you are quoting yourself and just keep repeating what you have previously  said 

Should I self quote my previous  reply your self quoted post ?

I am quoting myself to respond to a point raised by someone who has obviously either not seen my previous post or chosen to ignore it.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You have asked many times and you have been answered many times, yet you still keep on asking , just keep saying the same point over and over again, until people get bored keep replying with the same answer over and over again 

No, I have not been answered; all people say is that we had a vote and that should be enacted upon first. That is not an answer, it is dodging the question.

The first part of your post, rixalex, is a well thought out and cogent answer to my question; for which I thank you. I don't agree with you, but at least someone has finally provided a proper answer.

The points you raise and questions you ask would obviously have to be answered, by both sides, during the campaign.

I would point out, though, the ECJ ruling which confirms that were we to cancel Brexit before the deadline then we would remain in the EU on exactly the same terms as before. Though I agree that our relationship with the other 27 would be damaged, maybe irrevocably.

To imply that the STV system is too complicated for voters to understand is rather an insult, I think. After all, it is used in some elections in Scotland and Northern Ireland and they seem to understand it! Are you saying that the Welsh and English wont be able to?

7 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Unless a new vote were to deliver an overwhelming decision in one direction or the other, all a new vote will do is extend the uncertainty and divide the country further. Remainers though don't care about that. It's become a tribal thing in which all they care about is having another shot at winning a vote they still can't get their heads around having lost.

By using the single transferable vote system, I believe an overwhelming result would be achieved.

What is more, unless Remain won the first round that result would most likely be for Brexit in one form or another. After all, how many Brexiteers would put remain as their second choice?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Show me a remainer who would now be in agreement with having another referendum had remain won, and i'll show you a liar

In other words, you want me to prove a negative.

There are plenty of Leavers who, unlike Farage and his supporters, say that they would respect the result and not want a second referendum had Remain won by such a narrow margin; I call them liars.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There have been numerous posts answering your question , posts explaining the democratic process and the effect of another referendum would have on the democratic process , i.e, it would make a mockery of the democratic process and prove it to be worthless .

Not an answer.

Using you argument, the 2016 referendum makes a mockery of the democratic process.

Using your argument, all elections since the first make a mockery of the democratic process.

Why? Because they changed previous results.

As I have said before, in a democracy people are allowed to change their minds; but you and many other Brexiteers wont allow them the opportunity to do so.

That is what makes a mockery of the democratic process!

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

If, as so many Brexiteers insist, support for Brexit is stronger than ever, why are so many afraid of another referendum?

One can only assume that brexiteers faced with a serious health issue would have the operation before considering a second opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All going really well.

Theresa May faces a fresh headache over her Brexit strategy after peers inflicted a defeat on the government in favour of keeping the UK in a customs union with the EU.

The House of Lords supported a cross-party bid to keep Britain in a tariff-free trade bloc with Brussels, which means the legislation will bounce back to the Commons for approval.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-lords-customs-union-eu-trade-a8811361.html

And no better in Brussels

The commission said there was still "no solution" to the Irish backstop impasse, despite a meeting between the EU's chief negotiator Michel Barnier and attorney general Geoffrey Cox and Brexit secretary Stephen Barclay.