Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

15 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Haven’t you noticed that the situation has changed? That’s the Brexiteers - aware of the Remain treachery at every turn, and commenting.
Remainers comments - still crying about losing the referendum. Still calling the same names. Still ‘knowing’ better than everybody else about all the bad things that will definitely happen in the future, with absolute certainty. Well, if nobody does anything about it...maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Shock us in to silence.

Show us your Brexit.

• Haha 2

Coincidence or the benefit of distraction.

From 29 March, by decision of the BIS, the gold in the portfolio of commercial and business banks becomes "Cash Equivalent", an asset equivalent to cash and therefore "risk free". In fact, it is the first "reassuring of gold" since the time of the Bretton Woods agreement: technicians call it "Gold Remonetization", a process that is the reverse of the "demonetization" of gold decided by Nixon.

https://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/finanza-e-mercati/2019-02-24/banche-ritorno-gold-standard-l-oro-bilanci-diventa-moneta-091055.shtml?uuid=ABCGxiXB&fromSearch

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sanemax said:

All previous UK referendums have been on a majority basis ,

You mean all 2 of them.

What on earth is the point of taking major decisions using a mechanism where the potential outcome is indeterminate.

I am sure you would have a lot to say if the justice system worked on the same basis.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 7by7 said:

To imply that the STV system is too complicated for voters to understand is rather an insult, I think. After all, it is used in some elections in Scotland and Northern Ireland and they seem to understand it! Are you saying that the Welsh and English wont be able to?

I am saying that one of the main reasons given by remainers for ignoring the 2016 vote was that people didn't know what they were voting for and that the whole issue of remaining or leaving was far too complex for people to get their heads around. Now you want to have another vote in which, as i have already mentioned, there will be three options: one, a 600 page document that only deals with the withdrawal; two, a no deal in which nobody really knows what the outcome would be; and three, remain, in which nobody really knows how Britain would work side by side with EU nations after the last three years of bickering and fighting.

Whereas in 2016, voters where supposed to just be selecting a direction of travel, with the politicians then working on the finer details of how we go in that direction, now voters are expected to get involved with the detail. I'm not suggesting it is too complicated for voters to understand, i'm suggesting that if the 2016 vote is going to be scrapped on the basis that it was flawed because of lack of understanding and complexity, the new vote you propose will be no different. In fact it will be worse.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 7by7 said:

As I have asked many times

Here's a suggestion, rather than repeatedly asking a question which has already been answered - which as i have said before, is trollish behaviour that really should be beneath you, (and no, before you ask, i haven't reported you), why not just make the statement that underlies the manner in which you ask the question and the manner in which you refuse to accept any of the hundred of times it has been answered..

...and that is to state, "i believe that leavers fear a referendum because they will lose and i don't think there is any other possible reason for them not wanting another vote, and nothing you can say will change my mind about that"... and then, if you did that, everyone knows where they stand and nobody wastes time answering a question for which you will never accept any answer besides the one that you have decided is correct.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, rixalex said:

The ECJ ruling is not binding though, just advisory (where have i heard that word before?) and the EU have consistently said that it would need the consent of all 27 EU nations for article 50 to be revoked. If the EU is as mutually inclusive as remainers would have us believe, then surely all 27 nations should have a say on us being able to return on exactly the same terms as before.

I'm glad though to see we agree on the difficulty that Britain would have restoring relations in the EU, were Brexit scrapped and were we to return, tail between legs. I don't think it can be done. What we need is a fresh start, whatever happens. Rewinding the clock and trying to erase the last 3 years is never going to work. That's why, amongst many other reasons, Brexit must be delivered, and must be given a fair chance to fail or succeed. Then, and only then, can the country properly move forward and divisions be healed.

you have some good points there, in your 2nd paragraph, (don't agree with the first one)

not much point for UK to continue as EU member now and argue changes from within

when requested UK will be given the floor, but not the ears of the audience

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, rixalex said:

The ECJ ruling is not binding though, just advisory (where have i heard that word before?) and the EU have consistently said that it would need the consent of all 27 EU nations for article 50 to be revoked. If the EU is as mutually inclusive as remainers would have us believe, then surely all 27 nations should have a say on us being able to return on exactly the same terms as before.

I'm glad though to see we agree on the difficulty that Britain would have restoring relations in the EU, were Brexit scrapped and were we to return, tail between legs. I don't think it can be done. What we need is a fresh start, whatever happens. Rewinding the clock and trying to erase the last 3 years is never going to work. That's why, amongst many other reasons, Brexit must be delivered, and must be given a fair chance to fail or succeed. Then, and only then, can the country properly move forward and divisions be healed.

In politics there is no ‘must’.

8 hours ago, aright said:

Trade as seen from the other side of the Channel

To make up for lost exports to the UK, Spanish businesses will have to compete for customers in other EU countries, which could create a produce glut and drive down prices.

“It will be hard… to find new clients or new countries. It’s almost impossible,” said Ms Llonch, adding that farmers who sell almost all of their produce to the UK “are terrified”.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/terrified-produce-growers-in-southern-spain-brace-for-brexit-pain-37888385.html

olive and orange growers in spain selling a little less wont replace nissan,honda,bmw and toyota in the UK,just like trump thought starting a trade war was a good idea,but the trade gap has widened,he thought like a brexiteer and was wrong,

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

Voters cannot change their mind , after they have caste their vote

Not in that ballot, no.

But if you believe in democracy then you must allow them to change their mind afterwards and ask for another vote.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, aright said:

have read five varied definitions of bureaucrat and not one of them mentions the word appointed so nice try.

And how many of them mentioned the word 'elected?'

From Oxford dictionaries

"Bureaucrat

noun

An official in a government department, in particular one perceived as being concerned with procedural correctness at the expense of people's needs."

Pathetic try.

17 hours ago, nauseus said:

No. You lot are trying to destroy any semblance of true democracy that may still lurk about in the UK.

How?

By giving the people the final choice?

It is denying them that choice which is against democracy.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Not in that ballot, no.

But if you believe in democracy then you must allow them to change their mind afterwards and ask for another vote.

If most of the women in UK change their minds every month

like my missus, you're have a problem with that system.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, aright said:

The USA has the largest debt in the world. Next thing you will be telling us they have a poorer standard of living than Portugal. 

A significant percentage of the US population do!

Faces of poverty: What racial, social groups are more likely to experience it?

The U.S. Census estimates that 13.4 percent of Americans, about 42 million, lived below the poverty line in 2017.

Although, to be fair, percentagewise Portugal is slightly worse.

The pain and shame of poverty in Portugal

Two years ago, the Portuguese National Statistics Institute reckoned that 18% of the Portuguese population – roughly 1.8 million people - were living below the poverty line.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

A significant percentage of the US population do!

Faces of poverty: What racial, social groups are more likely to experience it?

Although, to be fair, percentagewise Portugal is slightly worse.

The pain and shame of poverty in Portugal

In most cases anywhere in the western world thier is a reason people live below any supposed povety line,its called wasting wbat money they have on drink,alcohol,drugs,smoking etc they then plead povety.

Edited by bomber