Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Tim Sebastian shows how an interview should be conducted. Should have picked him for Question Time. Recommended!

I disagree. I don’t see a point in an interview when it turns into a shouting competition because after the first three words of a response you’re being interrupted. 

2 hours ago, rixalex said:

I asked you why it would be the "final choice". 

It’s hard to imagine what reasonable “final choice” anyone could propose after it. 

The 2016 vote was supposed to settle the matter once and for all. The PM told us it was the "final choice" on many occasions before the vote. If you get your wish, and that vote was not the "final choice", why should we believe that another vote will be the "final choice"?

The 2016 vote was never able to provide for a “final choice”. The final choice the UK now has is something different than what people were asked in 2016. I agree Cameron and his government are to blame for how they designed it, and that it was bad to make such promises to the people. But revisiting that doesn’t solve the current impasse. 

You only get to make that promise once with any meaning. Just as you only get to promise to implement whatever the public decides once. Don't bother making promises like that again, once you've broken them. The promises cease to have any meaning.

I believe most people look at things practically, and would prefer to find a solution over helping Cameron keep an unkeepable promise. 

41 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

It’s hard to imagine what reasonable “final choice” anyone could propose after it.

It's not hard to imagine at all. If May's deal gets voted for, then all that has been voted for is the withdrawal agreement. Nobody has had a chance to vote on what the deal will be outside of the EU. So remainers can then demand a "final choice" on whether to accept the deal outside the EU, or return back to the EU.

4 minutes ago, rixalex said:

It's not hard to imagine at all. If May's deal gets voted for, then all that has been voted for is the withdrawal agreement. Nobody has had a chance to vote on what the deal will be outside of the EU. So remainers can then demand a "final choice" on whether to accept the deal outside the EU, or return back to the EU.

Wait, we were discussing the current impasse, not what comes after that. In order to get there, the current impasse needs to get solved first. Only for that one I argued a referendum would provide a final choice. Whether you want a referendum for any future trade deal is another question. 

1 minute ago, rixalex said:

Yes it was. The final choice was to leave. How we left was up to the politicians to sort out. Just because they have made a mess of it, does not invalidate the decision. You could argue it invalidates the politicians, and you'd have a point.

That was the “final choice” only for the leave-question. People were never presented a “final choice” for what happens after the leave, i.e. the transition period and the future relationship. 

We could argue now that people don’t need to have a say in that because it’s the job of parliament to decide. But it would be difficult to understand why people should have a say in only 1/3 of the key decisions required, especially since the other 2/3, apparently, cannot be solved by parliament. 

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Wait, we were discussing the current impasse, not what comes after that. In order to get there, the current impasse needs to get solved first. Only for that one I argued a referendum would provide a final choice. Whether you want a referendum for any future trade deal is another question. 

Solve one impasse to move on to the next impasse. Continual impasses until parliament gets the 2016 decision reversed.

9 minutes ago, rixalex said:

His promise was that the decision would be upheld. He never said anything about easiest deal in history or how ever much extra money for the NHS. He just simply stated that a vote to leave would mean a complete departure from the EU. That's not an unkeepable promise, that's just a promise that you and other remainers don't want to see followed through on. There's a difference.

Stop. I never said Cameron promised the easiest deal in history or money for the NHS. 

Someone suggested there should be a final vote to solve the current impasse. You argued that should not be the case because Cameron made a promise the referendum would be the “final choice”. Only with regards to that I was argueing that his promise was unkeepable.

Fact is: The choice is more complex than how Cameron presented it. It also involves the question about a potential transition period as well as another question about future relationships. And, apparently, at least one of those questions is currently causing an impasse that needs to get solved, something parliament alone doesn’t seem to be capable of. 

Cameron’s promises of a “final choice”, I am afraid, won’t solve that impasse, and I believe people are more interested in solving it and moving onto the next stage rather than debating how we can help Cameron keep an unkeepable promise. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Solve one impasse to move on to the next impasse. Continual impasses until parliament gets the 2016 decision reversed.

I don’t know whether the next question, the future relationships, would also be an impasse. Even more so, I don’t know how that speculation helps solving the current impasse. 

15 minutes ago, rixalex said:

To repeat, it's not that they cannot be solved by parliament, it's that parliament doesn't want to solve them. That's parliament's problem. They agreed to do what the people told them, and now, they have changed their mind and don't want to. Tough.

The people never told them what to do with a potential transition period. And that’s what’s causing the current impasse.

Either way, what’s the solution for this question? There are no majorities for anything, whether it’s no transition period, a transition period under May’s deal or even calling the whole thing off. How do you solve that impasse if not by asking the people? Is it more desirable to be in this limbo state forever, given that the EU would actually be ok with it? How do you decide whether your country wants a transition period and what kind of transition period? 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

Just now, nauseus said:

In case you missed it, there was a majority vote to leave the EU. When that happens the impasse is broken and these ill-willed "leaders", on both sides, will be mutually forced to negotiate about sensible common goals with some urgency. 

In case you missed it, there was no majority for a no-deal Brexit. Again, I agree that Cameron and his government made it look like a simple binary choice where it isn’t, while the leave-leaders were telling them that a leave-vote would come with a deal (the easiest one in history even, including the cake while eating it). 

That is something you will not solve by just ignoring it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nauseus said:

there was a majority vote in parliament for the triggering of Article 50, which means leaving the EU and involves the possibility of leaving with no deal. 

Right, and as it seems, there will be another majority vote for not leaving without a deal, and one for not leaving under May’s deal. And then what? How do you solve that impasse?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

This dinosaur had better vision than a cat. Unfortunately not living anywhere, he is dead now. I'm surprised you, as such an expert, didn't know that.   

oh yes i had forgotten he had even passed away,wont be missed tbf

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

The only solution is just to leave at the end of the month and then see what the EU really needs to talk about. 

remind us again,they need us more than we need them ???? if you think they are going to come back grovelling your in for a shock,its the UK that is panicking now and our govt that is wasting millions every week planning for an extension to A50 and most likely calling it off

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Spanish farmers are terrified about the effects of Brexit , alot of their fresh grown procedure ends up in spoonies and that means that those tattooed unemployed dole scroungers down spoonies wont be able to enjoy their fresh Spanish gown salads for a quid anymore 

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/world-news/terrified-farmers-in-southern-spain-brace-for-brexit-pain-37888380.html

i would think the spanish farmers are more worried about climate change than a possible drop in sales to the UK,anyway mr spoonie is always on TV and the net claiming all his products UK based and he doesnt need the EU for anything,its been posted on here sometime in the last few months,so it seems he was telling us porkies,UK pork pies of coarse 

• Haha 2