Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

23 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Canal St?

Yes, near the Kempinski!

(do not confuse with Canal St, Manchester!)

I once took some IBM engineers for dinner and a walk, on behalf of Philips. Leading from the front I bribed the bird to have a gin for 10mins (I didn't want to spoil the line of my trousers you see). On bidding farewell and coming back down the steps she shouted "Magnificent! Next time free"!

We got the contract.

Edited by Grouse
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

One hopes thats all you contracted.

Thanks for your concern! Much appreciated!

I had you on ignore for a while, that is now removed. How could I possibly ignore someone with such kindness, such insight, such perspicacity?

I confess that I have built immunity to every known (and unknown bug) carried by women folk. I just didn't oblige when I had a bunch of Southern States' Baptists in tow. The things that one has to explain!

Edited by Grouse
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

One hopes thats all you contracted.

I confess that I have built immunity to every known (and unknown bug) carried by women folk. I just didn't oblige when I had a bunch of Southern States' Baptists in tow. The things that one has to explain!

This is interesting and I'm looking in to it

Estonian e-citizenship offers some useful benefits

Any UK individual with. Professional service business can use this platform to maintain an EU presence post Brexit.

Cheers!!??

My pleasure!

1 hour ago, wilcopops said:

CLEARLY HAVE no idea of the size and value of the cut flower industry in UK and how it relies on fast, immediate deliveries of fresh produce.

Furthermore many of the same problems will apply to other forms of edible fresh produce.

We could of course, obtain many of these flower from their source e.g 

Kenya and other African countries. Instead of relying on the Dutch wholesalers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

I had you on ignore for a while, that is now removed. How could I possibly ignore someone with such kindness, such insight, such perspicacity?

Exactly what I was thinking. Nice to back in the fold.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

quote "

Dutch flower seller Daan Van der Knaap said: "Without the English market we are finished.

"Without the British market we have no business to do, our only market is in the UK, so I worry about a Brexit without agreement because it would affect many things, including my work ... it will really be a hard Brexit, I will eventually lose my job.”

Priscilla Manni, a florist in London, claimed a no-deal scenario would send prices soaring.

Ms Manni said: “A Brexit without agreement will simply be terrible."

I am a little confused by this. Who or what is stopping the Dutch flower sellers from selling to the UK after Brexit?

It won't be the UK because the trade between the UK and Holland won't stop overnight. The tariffs may be a different rate but it won't stop trade if they want to trade with the UK.

The EU may take a different view but they always do.

no deal and i would expect the UK govt to add tariffs as most other nations will be adding tariffs to our exports,if its equal across the board the UK loses billions as we import more,£12 billion a year was a figure i saw the other day,iam not saying its right or wrong but would probably be a worst case scenario,trump thought he could play the trade war game and so far has lost,the UK will also not win,one nation v the rest has very little chance,importing nations will always handicapped and almost certain to come off worst. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, nauseus said:

Just an example of how a no deal Brexit will probably badly affect a lot of EU farmers. The continental fishermen will be in trouble, especially the Spanish. There are a lot of downsides for the EU but I'm sure that they are not widely openly discussed on the continent, at least for now.      

Unlike the UK fishing industry which is about to implode.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am a little confused by this. Who or what is stopping the Dutch flower sellers from selling to the UK after Brexit?

The most obvious problem will be they simply cant deliver.

Florists in UK usually buy their stock at auction online....they are delivered NEXT DAY. Flowers are incredibly perishable and cannot with stand delays.

(About 80% is imported)

Edited by wilcopops

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

quote "

Dutch flower seller Daan Van der Knaap said: "Without the English market we are finished.

"Without the British market we have no business to do, our only market is in the UK, so I worry about a Brexit without agreement because it would affect many things, including my work ... it will really be a hard Brexit, I will eventually lose my job.”

Priscilla Manni, a florist in London, claimed a no-deal scenario would send prices soaring.

Ms Manni said: “A Brexit without agreement will simply be terrible."

It won't be the UK because the trade between the UK and Holland won't stop overnight. The tariffs may be a different rate but it won't stop trade if they want to trade with the UK.

The EU may take a different view but they always do.

https://horticulture.ahdb.org.uk/sites/default/files/CFC Cut Flower production statistics 2018.pdf

Only 10% of UK cut flowers are home grown because the total size of the market  is considered small. The Dutch have honed a very efficient horticulture and real time delivery service. Dutch climate is similar to our own. However British per capita spend on lowers is much lower than that of our European neighbours. This is interesting because whereas disposable income is an issue, social mores is the key issue. It many countries it would be socially unacceptable to visit friends and neighours without taking flowers. How civilized!

In fact I would posit that per capita spend on flowers and the number of flower shops is a measure of civilization; it is no surprise that U.K. And USA rank rather low in this respect 

Edited by Grouse

3 hours ago, aright said:

Support for a no-deal Brexit is growing in the face of the EU's refusal to help salvage Theresa May's deal, according to a new poll.

A survey by ComRes found that 44 per cent of the public now believe the UK should leave without a deal if Brussels refuses to make any further concessions - a six point rise from January. Less than a third (30 per cent) disagreed.

It came as 74 senior Tory activists, including more than 50 association chairman, told Mrs May that Conservative voters "do not fear a no deal exit" and "just want Brexit delivered." …………. 

...............….Mr Dodds, Mr Baker and Mrs Morgan all indicated that they now support the plan B - essentially a 'managed' no-deal Brexit - in the so-called Malthouse Compromise put forward by a coalition of Brexiteers and Remainers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/09/support-no-deal-brexit-backed-public-poll-finds-growing-number/

Great news! UK moron levels are clearly dropping if only 44%  think a no deal Brexit is a sane option. I feel cheered by that! Thanks!

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"In fact I would posit that per capita spend on flowers and the number of flower shops is a measure of civilization;"

Really???

If that's the best measure of civilisation you can come up with, then there is something very wrong with your thought processes  ????.

A measure, petal 

13 hours ago, aright said:

The members of the EU Commission are proposed by members of the EU Council,...….so no election there and they're accepted as a body by a vote of MEP's, however the people who represent me, the MEP's, don't get to propose members for the Commission they are stuck with the choices made by the Council; the EU boys club. That's not acceptable to me.

It is totally irrelevant what is acceptable to you, it does not change the fact that commissioners are nominated by heads of the respective state, in the same way the UK PM is a nominated position. If you do not like the way the commissioner is selected and prefer it went to a public vote you are perfectly free to take it up with your MP.

13 hours ago, aright said:

Another aspect is democratically elected governments are able to change policy.

You are perfectly free to believe that the EU heads of state have no control over policy, but do not try and make out it is fact.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Please do not call me "petal" as I'm not a stupid youngster prepared to accept this type of dismissive comment any more.....

If this sort of dismissive term makes you feel more manly - then it's another problem you need to address.

I guess you can't take a joke? We were discussing flowers....

I refer to my wife as sweet pea? Should she feel insulted?

behind her back she is referred to as "the dragon" - a quote from Basil Fawlty

Look, it's a Sunday. Have a sherry! Cheri!