Drain wet area in garden

Chrisdoc

Hi. I am sure I read a while ago about draining with a large pvc pipe but can't find the thread. I was going to dig a trench about half a metre deep and drill holes in the bottom half of a large pvc pipe and place it in the trench then fill it on again. From memory that is what someone had already done to drain a wet area?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Anythingleft? said:

Look up French Drains and soakaways for ideas of what would suit your area and land size.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Youtube is your friend on this.  I have done lots of drainage on my farm but mostly surface water before it becomes a wet area.   in some case building up the wet area and or re-grading the surrounding area can encourage  the water to naturally move away as long as there is a lower area for it to run to.  Obviously water always seeks the lowest place.  

• Like 2

Leading on from the above post, if your area of ponding is small such as 1mx1m then you could simply deal with that alone.

dig a small pit  and drop in one of those small concrete rings. fill it with gravel then top it off with your turf.

If you can,a small piece of garden fibre (geotextile) to stop soil washing into the soakaway and clogging it up.

If thats an option it will save you diggi g long trenches and doing the same ie filling with stone and wrappring with geotex or even adding a perforated drain.

• Like 1

Check out your soil, at the depth you want to install the french drains ... 

In my case, the ground is almost like clay, and the water would not soak away quickly enough.

We installed two soakaway wells, 1m in diameter, 2 meters deep, next to each other, and they do

a perfect job. We also drain the roof water to them ...

Good luck,

rudi

Edited by luudee
  • Like 1

Instead of digging and installing drains you could also consider building up. You could build raised garden beds where the wet areas are or just bring in a load of topsoil depending on how much you need and grade it how you need it. If you dig and install drains more than likely you are going to lose that gardening area if you need it where if you build raised garden beds you can still use it for planting. 

Instead of digging and installing drains you could also consider building up. You could build raised garden beds where the wet areas are or just bring in a load of topsoil depending on how much you need and grade it how you need it. If you dig and install drains more than likely you are going to lose that gardening area if you need it where if you build raised garden beds you can still use it for planting. 
Hi. Is complicated. I am on Koh Kood where it is hard to get anything. At one end I have a trench already going to a mangrove swamp and the other side a trench running down the hill. I just need to bridge 3 metres between the two so I think a french drain is great. Thanks for the input though.

Hi, depending upon what you are trying to achieve and size of area to be drained, for French drain place "I-2" gravel (ask your builder's merchant for one two gravel) at bottom of trench, cover this with "3-4" gravel (ditto three four, which is smaller than one two), add sand, lay the pipe on top of this mix... make sure pipe is sloping in the direction you wish water to go...  drill holes from bottom quarter of the pipe all the way round, so only the bottom is still solid, pack with a couple of inches of 1/2 gravel along sides and top, can then fill back with earth.  The most recent one I have done, used a 1½" pipe with ⅛" holes, obviously no worry of holes becoming blocked because it operates on hydrostatic pressure, plus remember it is necessary to have somewhere for the water that collects in the pipe to go... it operates like a small spring... all the best  

On 11/29/2018 at 10:09 PM, cosmosis said:

for French drain place "I-2" gravel (ask your builder's merchant for one two gravel) at bottom of trench, cover this with "3-4" gravel (ditto three four, which is smaller than one two), add sand, lay the pipe on top of this mix.

You do not put sand in a French drain.

• Like 1

gravel under and over the pipe(ag pipe) so it filters the water so it doesnt block the holes, bottom of the pipe has to remain solid for the water to flow, ag pipe has slits in it rather than holes but both work, sand tends to work through the gravel and into the pipe but is ok under the pipe below the gravel

Those gravel bags are porous, just weaved plastic strips.

Not sure how they behave underground but in the sun they rot away in 2 months.

If buying gravel buy by the cube if you need a good amount.

A cube will cost around 800bt.

I had about a third of my pile left and bagged it up. 16bags and they charge 35bt a bag.

By my reckoning by the cube you are only paying 17-20bt a bag.

Thanks for all the advice. Am on Koh Kood so no shops but my neighbour has gravel. I drilled the holes in a 3 inch pipe lined the trench with the only gravel I could get and put it in and covered it with gravel. I wrapped the higher end in mosquito screen wire and excavated each end and filled it with gravel. Seems to be working but need to improve the drainage at the bottom end. Thanks again. Cheers.

• Like 1