Two female foreigners die in high speed road accident in Phuket

webfact

52 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Here we go again- 'experts' from all over the place but little input from Phuket based people!

Why do people feel the need to comment on a local story with comments about elsewhere?

Input from a Phuket person now- it would be interesting to know how many crashes occur due to dodgy- u turns? I see near misses or actual collisions on a regular basis.

Plenty of dodgy u-turns but the legal u-turns are dangerous as well. What is it with Thai traffic controllers/police that make them believe that a u-turn is safer than a right turn? It might have been many years ago when there were fewer cars on the road but it's certainly not the case now. Do any other countries have this fixation with u-turns?

Sorry, getting off topic. RIP to the two ladies killed.

• Like 1

Cars, trucks, and busses make U-turns with reckless disregard where it comes to scooters and motorcycles. The scooters and bikes will either stop, avoid the four-wheeled vehicles or suffer catastrophic consequences. The Car will be inconvenienced at most. The drivers just don't care. A me first, me first, you give way or else attitude. Unfortunately, the scooters/motorcycles are often going too fast to avoid the collision and when they are driven by foreigners they are not fully aware the dangers Thai drivers represent when it comes to U-turns, red lights (being considered a recommendation by Thai drivers who think there is a 5-second rule) driving on the wrong side of the road against traffic, and merging from side roads. 

RIP to the riders on the motorcycle.

• Like 2

This accident happened very close (300 metres) to a similar event a couple of years ago outside the Honda bike shop. In that case the tourist was driving the car and U-turned in front of a couple of speeding Thai riders.

Two were also killed in that accident. 

Edited by Old Croc

Car driver doing something illegal / reckless as a lane change or U-turn. Motorbike rider probably speeding with very little crash protection (Thailand's "motorbike/cycle disease"). Ineffective, ignored, painted median barrier that should been heavy, concrete barrier blocks. A deadly combination in any country, IMO.

17 hours ago, hansgruber said:

If you open the article and see the other photos. The car was making an illegal u turn over double yellow lines. A clear violation of the road rules. 

In a fair and just society the media and police would have indicated this but this is Thailand. 

RIP Tourists. You just didn't know the Thainess that happens on these roads. 

S__34439192.jpg

S__34439187.jpg

And bike, going like a bat out of hell, was overtaking the car and swerved to the right to avoid the car when it suddenly began to turn. Either the bike lost control or the car continued it's turn, or both and the bike hit the car square on to the driver's side wing.

Lessons to learn: Don't try to impress your girlfriend on a high powered bike when drunk in Thailand.

Always expect the unexpected when approaching a Thai driver, particularly female.

The road is straight, wide and open at the accident site. Centre concrete barriers would not really be necessary at that part of the highway, (not to mention it would block my turnoff to home which is a few metres away). This is a pic of the accident site, obviously in daylight. Not normally a dangerous place for traffic, but all to often in Thailand incompetency meets idiocy.

fatal.JPG

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

2 females in this article and male and female in the other?? make up your minds!!

I would think if a news outlet goes to the trouble of upgrading their initial roadside report, you would be fairly safe in accepting the version in the second article.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I should feel guilty but every time of of this noisy big bikes roars past me in a dangerous manner I think "OK, you'll get yours if you keep that up." Note the motor bike riding on the wrong side of the road in the wrong direction "NEXT?"

Edited by oldrunner
ADDED COMMENT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oldrunner said:

I should feel guilty but every time of of this noisy big bikes roars past me in a dangerous manner I think "OK, you'll get yours if you keep that up." Note the motor bike riding on the wrong side of the road in the wrong direction "NEXT?"

I was on a narrow flooded Soi in CM today, about 3-6 inches deep, slowly driving along the less flooded centre, a big m/c overtakes me on the wrong side of the road at about 80Km/hr, like it was a dry day. There's some mad buggers out there.

Edited by BritManToo