Parties fume over new 'Gerrymandered' electoral map

snoop1130

Parties fume over new 'Gerrymandered' electoral map

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

districtsmap-696x464.jpg

Electoral district documents on display Oct. 4 at a press briefing by the Election Commission.

BANGKOK — Political parties are angry about a redrawn electoral map of Thailand they say has been gerrymandered to boost the prospects of pro-junta parties.

Both major political parties, Pheu Thai and Democrat, said the new constituency map revealed Thursday increases the fortunes of parties such as Palang Pracharat Party – which supports the military government – in several provinces. One politico warned of a backlash.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/11/30/parties-fume-over-gerrymandered-electoral-map/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-11-30

Prayut ‘angry’ at EC gerrymandering allegations

By The Nation

09ce9b127a09e09ca557b9d02a42f3d0.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Friday was irritated by published allegations of Election Commission gerrymandering of certain constituencies, according to a source.

Prayut angrily complained about media questions regarding the matter while chairing a meeting of the National Strategy Committee at Government House.

“The media kept asking me about the division of constituencies. Damn it! Are they going to drop dead because of this nonsense? This should be in line with the rules – whether it is right or wrong, I have nothing to do with it. The prime minister knows nothing about the designation of constituencies,” he was quoted as saying by the source.

Prayut, who heads the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), also reacted to allegations by politicians that the mapping of many constituencies was in favour of a particular pro-junta political party.

He said those politicians appeared to be adherent to their old constituencies and were unaware of changes in population over the past four to five years. 

“It all depends on the voters. If they vote for no-one, you don’t get elected whatever party you are in or however the constituencies are divided,” the PM was quoted as saying.

He dismissed suspicion that the EC’s constituency mapping was influenced by people in power.

“I am not on any side and I did not make any order,” Prayut said.

Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, who is a key figures in the NCPO, maintained on Friday that the junta had nothing to do with the constituency mapping.

When asked if he was worried that dissatisfaction by political parties could lead to a boycott of the election, General Prawit said he did not think there would be a boycott. “There are only a few complaining parties,” he added.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said on Friday that any political party unhappy with the way the EC had designated constituencies could consider petition the Administrative Court but that it depends on the court whether to accept such lawsuits.

Meanwhile, politicians from the Pheu Thai and Democrat parties on Friday continued to hit at the EC and the NCPO over what they described as unfair mapping of constituencies in favour of a particular pro-junta party.

Democrat Party politician Watchara Phetthong said he hoped the election commissioners would not end up being sent to jail like their predecessors many years ago, who were found guilty of failing to ensure fairness in an election.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30359621

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-01

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“The media kept asking me about the division of constituencies. Damn it! Are they going to drop dead because of this nonsense? This should be in line with the rules – whether it is right or wrong, I have nothing to do with it. The prime minister knows nothing about the designation of constituencies,” he was quoted as saying by the source.

The sham of things to come.  Only an out of touch elitist would call this nonsense.  Nonsense is four years of military rule and the Prayut "legacy".

• Like 2

“Did they have to do this much in order to gain victory? … Malaysia also did gerrymandering, but [the ruling party] ended up losing nonetheless,” she wrote online, referring to this year’s toppling of the increasingly authoritarian Najib Razak by 93-year-old Mahathir Mohamad.

I predict again  the same will happen in Thailand 

Edited by Dave67
  • Like 1

So I think it is fair to say that the “elections” can now already be declared “not free and fair” by election observers before political parties have even started / or are allowed to campaign. What a farce.

But of course according to the junta - observers should only come from ASEAN who will keep quiet about any irregularities because the not so smart people in charge here have not yet realized that It is in other ASEAN countries interest that Thailand walks backwards.

After all Thailand’s loss is their gain. Thailands neighbors are secretly laughing about the stupidity watching this country destroying itself from within and steering itself towards Chinese dependance - and we all know how that ends.
Take Tibet as an example - major colonization there started with roads and TRAINS (wink wink) and the Chinese don’t even have to invade Thailand by force - they have invited them in!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

“Did they have to do this much in order to gain victory? … Malaysia also did gerrymandering, but [the ruling party] ended up losing nonetheless,” she wrote online, referring to this year’s toppling of the increasingly authoritarian Najib Razak by 93-year-old Mahathir Mohamad.

Dave67 I wish they would do something too and vote against the junta...but please do not underestimate the utter apathy and laziness of the population...they will not do anything, it is simply beyond them to think or form an opinion or even care about anything other than food or lottery numbers.

The population here are followers that need to be led...and if you can bribe them into following you then all the better.

NOTHING will ever happen from the Thai population. They are effectively a non entity. This Junta is here to stay now for a very long time...the mother of all coups.

There is of course only one person that could change it but even then, I am not sure they could if push came to shove.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to know what the RULES are for the EC (ie what's the theory on how to achieve appropriate, balanced & fair outcomes of any redistribution of seats?) and precisely HOW the EC is said to have gerrymandered the deal.

Given that, as far as I can tell, ALL political parties in this country are personality-based & policy-lite, with parties being invented & decommissioned at the drop of a peaked hat & members hopping from 1 party to the next as the occasion & the opportunities demand, the actual election-day outcome of any gerrymandering attempt would seem to be entirely unpredictable.

9 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

If the whole of Isaan and the north follow their normal voting patterns, none of this will matter.

If that happens (it probably will) then any number of other ballgames come into play, from the Senate ensuring that there is an appointed "outside" prime minister, dissolution/banning/prosecution of enough MPs to remove any overall majority, and as the last resort some major event or national emergency which demands the junta remain in power to manage it. So yes, you're right, it really doesn't matter

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Welcome to Thailand 2018, Cheating and BS rule!

Fixed that for ya.

Remember that line from that old Talking Heads song from the 80s (Once in a Lifetime I think?), "Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was..."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

This should be in line with the rules – whether it is right or wrong, I have nothing to do with it. The prime minister knows nothing about the designation of constituencies,”

What hypocrisy!

Prayut demeans the intelligence of the Thai electorate to say he knows nothing.

In fact General Prayut invoked Article 44 as head of the junta to empower the EC to make changes to constituency boundaries, examine complaints and revise the boundaries if necessary.

Why did Prayut have to resort to use of absolute power?

He uses Article 44 frequently to bypass the rule of law that ironically most often passed by the junta-appointed NLA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Prayut ‘angry’ at EC gerrymandering allegations

By The Nation

09ce9b127a09e09ca557b9d02a42f3d0.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Friday was irritated by published allegations of Election Commission gerrymandering of certain constituencies, according to a source.

Prayut angrily complained about media questions regarding the matter while chairing a meeting of the National Strategy Committee at Government House.

Prayut, who heads the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), also reacted to allegations by politicians that the mapping of many constituencies was in favour of a particular pro-junta political party.

He said those politicians appeared to be adherent to their old constituencies and were unaware of changes in population over the past four to five years. 

“It all depends on the voters. If they vote for no-one, you don’t get elected whatever party you are in or however the constituencies are divided,” the PM was quoted as saying.

He dismissed suspicion that the EC’s constituency mapping was influenced by people in power.

“I am not on any side and I did not make any order,” Prayut said.

Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, who is a key figures in the NCPO, maintained on Friday that the junta had nothing to do with the constituency mapping.

When asked if he was worried that dissatisfaction by political parties could lead to a boycott of the election, General Prawit said he did not think there would be a boycott. “There are only a few complaining parties,” he added.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said on Friday that any political party unhappy with the way the EC had designated constituencies could consider petition the Administrative Court but that it depends on the court whether to accept such lawsuits.

Meanwhile, politicians from the Pheu Thai and Democrat parties on Friday continued to hit at the EC and the NCPO over what they described as unfair mapping of constituencies in favour of a particular pro-junta party.

Democrat Party politician Watchara Phetthong said he hoped the election commissioners would not end up being sent to jail like their predecessors many years ago, who were found guilty of failing to ensure fairness in an election.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30359621

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-01

And ALL europe and world peoples have angry thailand idiot visa system, thailand not newer come same thn europe guality if have stupid visa system ,prayat has alltime say want make thailand european system and guality all, but he need start first stop idiot visa system at thailand and then he can start to build thailand normal european guality.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bowerboy said:

Dave67 I wish they would do something too and vote against the junta...but please do not underestimate the utter apathy and laziness of the population...they will not do anything, it is simply beyond them to think or form an opinion or even care about anything other than food or lottery numbers.

The population here are followers that need to be led...and if you can bribe them into following you then all the better.

NOTHING will ever happen from the Thai population. They are effectively a non entity. This Junta is here to stay now for a very long time...the mother of all coups.

There is of course only one person that could change it but even then, I am not sure they could if push came to shove.

My wife a her family are normally apolitical , I have never heard about politics before. Its different now after 4 and half year of the Junta they are feeling the pinch as are the whole Tambon. The saying is ,under Thaksin we ate Lobster under Prayut we eat noodle cup

5 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Not a chance.

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Not a chance.

I worked in Malaysia for 6 years and everyone thought the same as you do me included . The ruling party had been in power since Merdeka (Liberation)  1957. No one thought Nabib Razak the PM ,one of most corrupt men in SE Asia, could lose the election as he would be jailed if he did. Gerrymandering ,giving the poor money a manufactured win guaranteed. The landslide against him and his party was so massive he had to concede defeat, Najib Razaz his Wife and his cronies are being prosecuted for corruption at movement and will go to Jail. I predict again it will happen in Thailand the only difference is the Junta won't be jailed

6 hours ago, TKDfella said:

As I have mentioned on other similar threads, the Junta will do what they want, how, when and why they desire. They have silenced everyone and anyone who speaks out will be prosecuted...well at least investigated. The whole thing is just a sham. I don't know why they just don't declare Thailand as a dictatorship and done with it.                                                                            

If ya haven't notice, the controlling systems have been of the nature for decades, regardless of said civilian or military government. 

History just repeats itself over and again.

Most aren't paying attention.......as the same old tired and rhetorical discussions and debates occur without any real or satisfying conclusions.

Edited by zzaa09

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He had nothing to do with it....other than directing it be done and how the results should turn out. This guy has been learning how to communicate from his assistant, The Toad. His lips move and B.S. is spewed. Later he will explain how he won the election through brilliant maneuvers like rewriting the electoral map.

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He had nothing to do with it....other than directing it be done and how the results should turn out. This guy has been learning how to communicate from his assistant, The Toad. His lips move and B.S. is spewed. Later he will explain how he won the election through brilliant maneuvers like rewriting the electoral map.