Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush dead at 94

rooster59

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

President Obama visited with President George H.W. Bush just three days ago.

His statement today on the latter's passing was quite eloquent...

barbara-bush-funeral-four-presidents-four-first-ladies.jpg

Great photo that says a lot...

and all the better for a noticeable absence. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know of any president whose record is to everyone's liking.   He certainly did things I didn't care about.   One of his more courageous acts was his taking on of the NRA and his letter of resignation from the organization for remarks made by the NRA president after the Oklahoma bombing:

Dear Mr. Washington,

I was outraged when, even in the wake of the Oklahoma City tragedy, Mr. Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of N.R.A., defended his attack on federal agents as "jack-booted thugs." To attack Secret Service agents or A.T.F. people or any government law enforcement people as "wearing Nazi bucket helmets and black storm trooper uniforms" wanting to "attack law abiding citizens" is a vicious slander on good people.

Al Whicher, who served on my [ United States Secret Service ] detail when I was Vice President and President, was killed in Oklahoma City. He was no Nazi. He was a kind man, a loving parent, a man dedicated to serving his country -- and serve it well he did.

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/11/us/letter-of-resignation-sent-by-bush-to-rifle-association.html?fbclid=IwAR17TNVqUBG6dEhqXRbb-dSNQCqPMpOu1STaixHxXj8Oq7kTK_tHLz0faS0

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

Made his share of mistakes but a better president than many in the World community. He brought some respect for the USA.

Don't think there was much respect for the USA anywhere in the world during the bush years and certainly not these days!

• Like 1