UK business will be able to bring in high-skilled workers post-Brexit - PM May

rooster59

UK business will be able to bring in high-skilled workers post-Brexit - PM May

800x800 (3).jpg

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May leaves 10 in Downing Street in London, Britain, November 28, 2018. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Britain's post-Brexit immigration system will enable businesses to bring in high-skilled workers from the rest of the world, but firms should also do more to train up young British people, Prime Minister Theresa May said.

Immigration was a major issue in the 2016 vote to leave the European Union and May has promised to end the free movement of EU citizens to live in Britain.

The government is due to publish a policy paper soon setting out how the new immigration system will work, and many businesses are worried about their ability to hire staff with the right skills post-Brexit.

"We are talking to business about their needs ... What I hope to see and what I'm sure we will be seeing is opportunities for young people in the UK, opportunities for training and skilling young people in the UK," May told reporters at the G20 summit in Argentina.

"We recognise that there are businesses who want to bring people in from the rest of the world, particularly in highly skilled areas and our immigration system will reflect that."

In September, a government-commissioned report recommended Britain should not give preferential treatment to EU workers in its post-Brexit immigration system but should prioritise the higher-skilled.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-01

That's interesting... most  expat workers  worldwide tend to  drift    towards  countries where they can live in a  reasonable decent way and support their family back home . Unfortunately the slide in the pound means they are sending less money home .

I know some foreign care home workers who are  now working in ...............Europe !

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Yeah, high skilled from India, Pakistan, Turkey, Syria, and other welcomed countries. Well done

Highly skilled is highly skilled. But why don't we take them from next door if that is where they are...?

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Highly skilled is highly skilled. But why don't we take them from next door if that is where they are...?

If followed May's plans those high skilled would have to leave the country and return to the mainland Europe (IT, doctors, teachers, professors, technicians, nurses aso). 

But if those condemned Muslims (I have nothing against them) would be a good substitute I don't know. 

The whole Brexit is a mess. It will divide Europe and help populists achieving their awful goals. 

• Like 2

There has never been a problem bringing in highly skilled workers from abroad!

Many years ago I worked in a very small dept. (6 staff) in the London GHO of a multi-national company.  Two of the staff were always 'high flyers' (from mainly the US subsidiary company), to provide them with more experience and knowledge.  It was a continual cycle, they stayed 2 years, and were then replaced with 2 different 'high flyers.

15 hours ago, johnsnapo said:

LOL, there won't be any jobs that need filling ! Clueless !????

That is the sort of nonsense that remainers just love.  How on earth did the UK survive before the EU? Your statement makes marginally more sense in the event of Parliament rejecting May's deal, resulting in a "no deal" situation, but is nonsense in the event of her deal going through, as I expect it will, given the worse alternative.

Nobody realistically expected the UK to be better off on day one of leaving the EU, but for some voters there was more at stake than just money, important though that is.  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

That is the sort of nonsense that remainers just love.  How on earth did the UK survive before the EU? Your statement makes marginally more sense in the event of Parliament rejecting May's deal, resulting in a "no deal" situation, but is nonsense in the event of her deal going through, as I expect it will, given the worse alternative.

Nobody realistically expected the UK to be better off on day one of leaving the EU, but for some voters there was more at stake than just money, important though that is.  

You used to have free trade and effective free movement with the commonwealth - until you started to get too many people from the subcontinent and the carribean so you restricted that to free movement from the ‘old’ commonwealth - ie the white ones. 

But when the costs of maintaining these very long supply chains stated to sink in you threw these countries under the bus and joined the EC or whatever it was called then. 

The old commonwealth countries have long memories, and will get their pound of flesh from the UK as payback when the UK is free to start signing FTAs again. Expect countries like Australia and NZ to demand basically unfettered access to the Uk economy - including movement of labour - and for the UK to get not much more access out of it in return than they have now. 

Why will the UK do this? Because they’ll be desperate to wave around a ‘free’ trade agreement to the masses to prove brexit was worth it.

It will be another generation before the population begin to twig that the wonder ‘free’ trade agreements promised by the brexiters arent so ‘free’, are usually second rate, and will at minimum take 5 or 10 years to negotiate and finalize. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

If followed May's plans those high skilled would have to leave the country and return to the mainland Europe (IT, doctors, teachers, professors, technicians, nurses aso). 

But if those condemned Muslims (I have nothing against them) would be a good substitute I don't know. 

The whole Brexit is a mess. It will divide Europe and help populists achieving their awful goals. 

The populist's goals are own goals, and they are funded by the opposing team, though they might not know it.  

There are those that would like to see Western Europe less unified, and a wedge driven between Western Europe and the USA, and from what I have seen, they seem to be winning

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1