Another UK minister quits in protest at May's Brexit deal

rooster59

Another UK minister quits in protest at May's Brexit deal

By Andy Bruce

LONDON (Reuters) - British science and universities minister, Sam Gyimah, quit Prime Minister Theresa May's government on Friday, the sixth minister to resign in protest of her proposed Brexit deal with the European Union.

Gyimah, a junior-ranking minister who campaigned in the 2016 vote to keep Britain in the EU, said May's deal meant Britain would surrender its "voice and its veto" and that the prime minister should not rule out the prospect of a second referendum.

His resignation represents a further blow to May, who is trying to persuade her own lawmakers to approve the deal she struck with Brussels on Sunday.

May faces criticism from all sides including the Northern Irish party propping up her government, ahead of Britain's departure from the EU in four months.

"It has become increasingly clear to me that the proposed deal is not in the British national interest, and that to vote for this deal is to set ourselves up for failure," Gyimah wrote in a resignation statement published by the Daily Telegraph newspaper. "We will be losing, not taking control of our national destiny."

Gyimah did applaud the "grit and determination" of May, who is in Buenos Aires attending a Group of 20 summit.

Earlier on Friday, May conceded that Britain will not use the EU's Galileo space project for defence or critical national infrastructure, following a row over the post-Brexit future of the planned rival to the U.S. Global Positioning System.

"Galileo is only a foretaste of what's to come under the government's Brexit deal," Gyimah said in his statement.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-01

The minister who should resign on December 12th is May. Hopefully her replacement will bring some honesty and competance back to the UK government.

Your being rather optimistic however its policy change not Prime Minister change that’s what’s needed at the moment.

May will go in 2019 that’s almost certain, however I do agree with the earlier post that British politics is broken, far too many hypocrites & appeasers.

Labour are equally a shower of Shiote, with Starmer & McConnell even more dangerous than Jeremy, I never thought I say that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The minister who should resign on December 12th is May. Hopefully her replacement will bring some honesty and competance back to the UK government.

Your being rather optimistic however its policy change not Prime Minister change that’s what’s needed at the moment.

May will go in 2019 that’s almost certain, however I do agree with the earlier post that British politics is broken, far too many hypocrites & appeasers.

Labour are equally a shower of Shiote, with Starmer & McConnell even more dangerous than Jeremy, I never thought I say that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The problem is by now there is no good solution for the UK. There is lose, lose or lose.

In the unlikely event that May's deal is approved nobody will be really happy with this. And there will be huge headache in the next years to work out the future relation between UK and EU and other trade deals.

In case she fails there are the options: No Brexit, crash, or (maybe after a new election) try again.

No Brexit will upset half the country.

Crash will upset almost the who country.

Trying again will probably not bring any better results. It goes back to No Brexit or crash.

Lose, lose, lose or lose, which one do you like most?

And the UK politicians can only blame themselves for this total mess.

No Brexit will cheese off the dwindling band of supporters who voted leave which was 27% - the rest will be having an EU inspired party - Vive Le Eu !  Worry not my brothers and sisters joy will return....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

In short, even remainers realise that the 'deal' loved by May and the EU, is the worst of all possible worlds for the UK!

May's deal is dreadful and let's both sides down.  There isn't one remainer that I know who would back it but there does seem to be quite a few leavers who are so desperate to get their Brexit they will accept any crap deal on offer.

• Like 2

Just now, dunroaming said:

May's deal is dreadful and let's both sides down.  There isn't one remainer that I know who would back it but there does seem to be quite a few leavers who are so desperate to get their Brexit they will accept any crap deal on offer.

They forgot the 11th Commandment - known as the Hotel California amendment - Thou Shalt Not Leave The EU.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

After two years of confusion I am none the wiser.

If the British Parliament vote against May's deal does it mean Britain stays and carries on in the EU?

Ask a hundred people that question and you will still be clueless as to what happens next.  We all are!  There seems to be a lot of work going on to ensure we don't end up with a no-Brexit scenario, it is widely recognised that would be catastrophic for the UK and pretty dire for the EU too. That leaves us limited options and these are,  no-Brexit, a Norway plus deal or back to the people.  There seems to be some leaning now towards the Norway + style deal but that is likely to upset many of the Brexiteers.

Briefly, Britain would approve the EU withdrawal agreement but during the transition period negotiate membership of the European Free Trade Association.  It would enter into a long term customs deal with the EU.  Efta would give the UK unrestricted access to the EU single market yet not be under the direct jurisdiction of the ECJ.  Britain would also leave the common agricultural policy.  The UK would NOT be able to strike free trade deals, have very limited control over freedom of movement and no say over new EU rules and regulations that it would have to abide by.

So again it doesn't deliver the Brexit people voted for and would be something of a fudge.  Personally it would work for me (as would May's deal) but the UK would be weaker for it.  No doubt many Brexiteers would accept it just to get a Brexit of some sort.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

No. It will only upset those anarchists and hooligans who want to wreck the economy (aka Brexiteers). Everyone else has realized by now that they were being lied to and believed the false promises.

It would be wonderful if it would be like that. But it seems that is just not true.

I read today in The Guardian that currently it's about 52/48 for no Brexit. It seems 48% still want Brexit.

And I am sure The Guardian would love to publish better numbers if there would be better numbers.

It's crazy but lot of people still want Brexit. They should know better, but they still want Brexit.

• Like 2

I think the Brexit lovers in the Conservative party need to wake up to the dangers of trying to get everything that you want ... they may end up with nothing at all. This guy is resigning because he sees a pathway out of Brexit, the second referendum is gaining more and more support across parliament ... it’s all getting very interesting.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But why are people like Boris Johnson still popular with lots of people. By now everybody should know that he is constantly lying. But lots of people still support him. It's crazy but that is what is happening.

It’s because they see him as a liar who will give them the Brexit that they want ... so they overlook his many faults. I don’t think he’ll be leader, too many of his fellow MPs can’t stand him.

Just now, AlexRich said:

It’s because they see him as a liar who will give them the Brexit that they want ... so they overlook his many faults. I don’t think he’ll be leader, too many of his fellow MPs can’t stand him.

Are there really people out there who believe Boris could deliver a much better Brexit? And I mean a realistic Brexit which the EU would sign? It seems impossible to me. People dream about unicorns but the EU just can't deliver them.

• Like 1