Vietnamese Drivers License - Good in Thailand??

My Lady has a Vietnamese drivers license for both car and motorbike, can this be used on her visits to Thailand as an ASEAN member.  If not, is there a Temporary Thai Drivers license for Asean members or one she should get before she leaves Vietnam??  Don't want any surprises at a checkpoint,  as every rental company will rent you a car or Motorcycle on your Countries drivers license but is it legal??    Her visits will be frequent and normally short termed, but she wants to drive.      Thanx. :wai:

Yes, she can use her Vietnamese driving license to drive in Thailand (If she doesn't have Thai citizenship or permanent residency in Thailand). If the license is not in english she has to carry a certified translation with it.

https://asean.org/?static_post=agreement-on-the-recognition-of-domestic-driving-licences-issued-by-asean-countries-kuala-lumpur-9-july-1985

Yes, she can use her Vietnamese driving license to drive in Thailand (If she doesn't have Thai citizenship or permanent residency in Thailand). If the license is not in english she has to carry a certified translation with it.

https://asean.org/?static_post=agreement-on-the-recognition-of-domestic-driving-licences-issued-by-asean-countries-kuala-lumpur-9-july-1985

They are in English, nearly the same format as the Thai one.

My Lady has a Vietnamese drivers license for both car and motorbike, can this be used on her visits to Thailand as an ASEAN member.  If not, is there a Temporary Thai Drivers license for Asean members or one she should get before she leaves Vietnam??  Don't want any surprises at a checkpoint,  as every rental company will rent you a car or Motorcycle on your Countries drivers license but is it legal??    Her visits will be frequent and normally short termed, but she wants to drive.      Thanx. :wai:
Probably all right most places in Thailand, but not in Pattaya, only a Thai license will do for the bib there.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 5 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 4:52 PM, jackdd said:

That article doesnt mention Vietnam.  I think Vietnam was added to the ASEAN agreement after this.  Are there any updated documents that say specifically Vietnam?  Id like to have a print out with me while I travel to show the police

Archived