What movies or TV shows are you watching (2018)

CharlieH

On 12/3/2019 at 11:49 AM, xylophone said:

Yes, I would have to agree with you and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although a friend switched it off early because he said he "couldn't get into it"??. Although it was a long movie and covered quite a few different aspects, I thought it was well enough paced and structured to allow the viewer to follow it without too much hassle.

As "ExpatOilWorker" has said, I also enjoyed the, "Rambo – Last Blood" movie, and I still occasionally hark back to the original one which I thought was quite unique for its time.

I also watched "The Report", which I was a little sceptical about when I read some reviews, however I was so glad I watched it because it was smart and intriguing, and filled in a few holes of my knowledge about the particular time and incidents in the movie.

The BBC "War of the World's" series looks okay and has a different element in it which I am still waiting to see how it pans out.

And as others have said, the David Attenborough serious, or indeed anything he does, is/are just superlative and I have no problem if he embraces climate change, because it is something we should all be looking at in my opinion – – actually I'll rephrase that; it is something that we should all be doing something about, rather than just looking at! 

Thanks for The Report, well worth watching.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, newnative said:

Just noticed the latest season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is out.  Just watched the first episode so far and it was, indeed, marvelous.  Terrific writing, acting, sets, the works.

Thank you very much for this info. One of the great shows on tv

Upright

This new Aussie show looks like it could be a good one.

All 8 episodes available at the usual places.

Summary: Two misfits, thrown together by chance in the middle of the Australian desert, forge

bonds in a quest to transport a precious piano from one side of the country to the other.

Just caught a pretty interesting comedy series from Showtime called Work In Progress.

About a fat bull dyke who gets romantic with a. female trans person.

Normally I would never have thought this would appeal to me....but it is pretty watchable.

Chuckles galore. Only one episode so far

On 12/6/2019 at 9:49 AM, Blue Muton said:

As requested, a reminder that "Reprisal" is due to premiere on Hulu today, so may appear at 'other places' tomorrow.

The first 20 minutes looked promising, but then it degenerated badly into cartoon characters.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Only my opinion. It does get a 7.4 rating on IMDB so someone must have liked it.

With 401 votes - perhaps the cast - IMDB ratings have very little real meaning for new releases or low vote counts such as this.  

On 9/29/2019 at 10:24 AM, steelepulse said:

Looking forward to "The Irishman" coming to Netflix at the end of next month.  Pacino, De Niro, Pesci and Scorsese directing.  Running time of 3.5 hours but all the reviews in so far say it's really good.

It was about 80 minutes too long. An incredible indulgence on the part of Scorcese. The performances were great, and the CGI and production was great. But, there were some 11 minute scenes, that should have been 4 minutes long. And within 24 hours, the film completely left my consciousness. NOT a classic. A perfectly decent film, that was way too long. Not worth all the hype.

20 hours ago, Will27 said:

Upright

Summary: Two misfits, thrown together by chance in the middle of the Australian desert, forge

bonds in a quest to transport a precious piano from one side of the country to the other.

What "usual places" are those? Tried about 6 well known torrent sites and can't find it at any of them.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It was about 80 minutes too long. An incredible indulgence on the part of Scorcese. The performances were great, and the CGI and production was great. But, there were some 11 minute scenes, that should have been 4 minutes long. And within 24 hours, the film completely left my consciousness. NOT a classic. A perfectly decent film, that was way too long. Not worth all the hype.

I really enjoyed it, but reckon it was probably an hour too long.

You're going to get a lot of hype when you have Scorcese, De Niro, Pacino and Pesci

together.

I would rate it 7.5 to 8.

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

I really enjoyed it, but reckon it was probably an hour too long.

You're going to get a lot of hype when you have Scorcese, De Niro, Pacino and Pesci

together.

I would rate it 7.5 to 8.

I think it would have made a great five part mini-series. It was not a movie. 

On 12/7/2019 at 10:49 AM, JHolmesJr said:

Apple has dropped a new TV series called Truth Be Told.

They have this annoying system where they release the first

three episodes.....then the other dribble out one at a time every Friday.

But this one s very good....about a reporter re-investigating a murder case

that she helped convict 20 years ago.

I wonder. Since Apple stopped innovating, and began just re-booting their product line every year about the time Jobs moved on, if they are capable of the level of creativity needed for a project like film making, and TV shows. 

On 12/4/2019 at 9:24 PM, Mike Teavee said:

Honestly felt Sylvester Stallone did his character proud in this last movie.... 

Wasn't great but I loved First Blood & Rambo (3)

So after reading all the gumpf reviews about Last Blood, I decided pop it on (My turn for movie) & honestly had an awesome evening in watching it [GF Cooked, fetched the Beer etc...].

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).... I enjoyed it, had a great night in, had Thai subtitles so GF was happy to watch (hit me at the action parts) after the last horror movie she made me select for her to watch (Drag Me To Hell, guarantee if your TGF/TW want to watch scary movie that will scare the s41t out o her)... she was happy 

You have to be a Stallone fan to love it. I really like him. He has got something. Even now.

Though I found this film way too over the top. But what Hollywood action film is not, these days? 

On 11/28/2019 at 9:26 AM, giddyup said:

Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford still doing it in their late 80's, 73 is just a boy.

One can easily make an argument that they are both demi-gods. Clint is amazing. With his body of both acting and directing, he is an astonishing talent. Redford had an amazing career as an actor, a director and a producer. And an activist. And what kind of vision did it take for him to invest in the land that came to make up Sundance? 5,000 acres of prime land.

Investors began eyeing the picturesque locale as a place to erect expansive condominiums, but Redford wanted “to develop a little and preserve a great deal.” Rejecting advice from New York investors to fill the canyon with an explosion of lucrative hotels and condominiums, Redford saw his newly acquired land as an ideal locale for environmental conservation and artistic experimentation.

The investors wanted to put a restaurant near the ski lift. I said that's crazy, it's ugly. I said let's put it a ways away. They said, "But there's a tree over there." I said, "We'll build it around a tree. That'll make it more unique." That's when they realized they were in business with the wrong guy. They said, "Why don't you buy us out?" I took on the whole ball of wax in 1970. I had to spend the next 10 years paying for it with film work.

What can one even say? A true man of vision. 

On 11/24/2019 at 8:24 PM, BritManToo said:

'Once upon a Time in Hollywood' had an amazingly violent ending, enjoyed Pitt and DiCaprio.

'Ready or Not' was another surprise bloodbath with a surprisingly pretty lead 'victim'.

The best part of Once upon a time was the last 30 minutes. It all paid off nicely. The Manson ranch scene was beyond bizarre. Barely felt like it was part of the movie, though the attempt to tie it into the storyline was noble, I guess. 

On 11/12/2019 at 10:08 AM, ivor bigun said:

Just watched Joker with the wife ,was not expecting to much ,but wow ,what an actor ,we both really enjoyed it ,cant praise it enough .

Yes, agree. It was a vote for social anarchy. Anti corporate ranting. A topic close to my heart. Phoenix was unforgettable. The last 40 minutes or so, was incredible. Loved it. Want to see it again as soon as a good copy is out there. 

On 12/9/2019 at 2:35 PM, Will27 said:

Upright

What a load of rubbish - Foul mouthed Aussie girl, quite unnecessary for the story. Could only stand to watch the first few minutes.

Waste of time and disk space.  :post-4641-1156693976:

On 12/10/2019 at 3:28 PM, spidermike007 said:

Yes, agree. It was a vote for social anarchy. Anti corporate ranting. A topic close to my heart. Phoenix was unforgettable. The last 40 minutes or so, was incredible. Loved it. Want to see it again as soon as a good copy is out there. 

Agree it's one of those movies that I wished I went to the Cinema & watched it big screen, but I made that mistake with John Wick 3 (Gold Class in Singapore is s$80 (1,760 THB) for the 2 of you, then you order food & wine on top!) & the movie was rubbish.... 

Have sworn that I won't pay to watch JW4 when it comes out (unless it's really good, then I'll watch it again at the cinema ???? ) 

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

What a load of rubbish - Foul mouthed Aussie girl, quite unnecessary for the story. Could only stand to watch the first few minutes.

Waste of time and disk space.  :post-4641-1156693976:

I watched 10 minutes into the 2nd episode and binned it. 

38 minutes ago, Will27 said:
53 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I watched 10 minutes into the 2nd episode and binned it. 

Just finished episode 4 and really enjoying it.

Funnily enough I'm at exactly the same episode. It's OK so far, although I was rather wary after the negative review above.

47 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I downloaded the first 4 episodes of Servant on RAR , haven’t watched any as yet as I like to binge the whole series.

I just checked to see that they are okay and they appear to be very dark !!

Anyone noticed the same or point me to some good copies.

No, it is very dark, all the copies (4) I've watched have been like that, it's how it was filmed.

Archived