The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Manchester united has issued a statement condemning the racial abuse on social media directed at Paul Pogba, post match, the third such incident to happen to other players in the last few days.

Most of these social media morons are unfortuantely  at an age to breed more of themselves.????

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Surprised OGS started James .For me he's not ready and should be used as an impact player with 20 mins to go when defenders legs are tiring ,he is still very much on a learning curve. Martial seems more comfortable now but Rashford or Martial have to take penalties, none of this who ever feels confident take it, that's very unprofessional. Pogba has just missed too many, 2 points dropped

Agree with the penalty situation. 

Chris Sutton was so the pundit on Radio 5 commentary and he thought it showed weak management to allow this type of situation where they decide among themselves. OGS confirmed it himself in his post match interview that Rashford and Pogba are the two chosen so they decide at the time depending who feels more confident. It appeared that although Rashfords record is the better he bowed to Pogba and handed it to him. 

Maybe a bit in awe of him still.......another reason for the manager to nominate just the one. 

Rashford seemed quite ok with Pogba taking the penalty ,no bad feelings there and he Rashford backed that up in his post match interview. Pogba hit it well but just at a perfect height for the keeper to save.

Seems in an update OGS has stated Rashford is now the designated taker,better late then never. Be interesting if he should miss. Penalties are a lottery.How many times to you see a keepers trailing leg keep the ball out

17 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Chris Sutton was so the pundit on Radio 5 commentary and he thought it showed weak management to allow this type of situation where they decide among themselves. OGS confirmed it himself in his post match interview that Rashford and Pogba are the two chosen so they decide at the time depending who feels more confident. It appeared that although Rashfords record is the better he bowed to Pogba and handed it to him. 

Maybe a bit in awe of him still.......another reason for the manager to nominate just the one. 

Apparently OGS made that post match statement for public consumption, never publicly criticise your players, something that, Pogba in particular, took great exception to under Mourinho.

In the dressing room, after the match, he ripped int both Pogba and Rashford for their lack of professionalism and has now nominated Rashford as the designated penalty taker.

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

In the dressing room, after the match, he ripped int both Pogba and Rashford for their lack of professionalism and has now nominated Rashford as the designated penalty taker.

Where was the lack of professionalism? 

They were both designated penalty takers and decided between themselves to let Pogba take it. There were no tantrums or ball snatching as such. 

40 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

They were both designated penalty takers and decided between themselves to let Pogba take it. There were no tantrums or ball snatching as such. 

Agreed.

Watched it last night and it looked to me like Rashford asked Pogba did he want to take it and Pogba confirmed that he did.

Was it a bad penalty? Looked more like a good save than a bad penalty.

Not sure what all the fuss is about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

At that level, the person most likely to convert takes the penalty. Of late, Pogba's conversion rate has been poor and Rashford's has been good. No brainer for Rashford to take the penalty. However, the taker was decided on " I won the penalty so I'm taking it", schoolboy tactic, very unproffesional. Cost us 2 points. If Rashford had taken it and had converted, we would be sitting at the top of the league today.

Edited by DannyCarlton

43 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

At that level, the person most likely to convert takes the penalty. Of late, Pogba's conversion rate has been poor and Rashford's has been good. No brainer for Rashford to take the penalty. However, the taker was decided on " I won the penalty so I'm taking it", schoolboy tactic, very unproffesional. Cost us 2 points. If Rashford had taken it and had converted, we would be sitting at the top of the league today.

So what's Rashford's penalties record at ManU? Must be exceptional.

3 hours ago, dabhand said:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/marcus-rashford/elfmetertore/spieler/258923

Decent. Four for Man United, two for England. No misses.

Yes he has done well and long may it continue but still no guarantees.Not sure what the fuss is all about, mistake maybe made but no friction between players,decision now made for them.

RE the match United would have lost that last season. Stability is showing its head

Edited by Sparkles
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 4:29 PM, Kadilo said:

I think there is some sense in it. By giving 2 players the job you make it harder for the keeper to prepare for one taker (I think they all do some kind of homework which involves looking at previous penalties).

However, in general I agree it seems madness to just let 'whoever feels like taking' out of the 2 get the ball. Penalties are all about certainty and surely this encourages arguments and indecisiveness. 

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

You used to play for Morecambe and Bury?

At the time this was credited as being the greatest goal ever scored at the new Wembly. It was the winning goal that took Morecambe into the Football League for the first time in their history. No, I'm not really Danny Carlton but was at the game as my son is a massive fan, used to take him to the game every week, and he played for the juniors.

Sammy MacIlroy was the manager at that time.

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

At the time this was credited as being the greatest goal ever scored at the new Wembly. It was the winning goal that took Morecambe into the Football League for the first time in their history. No, I'm not really Danny Carlton but was at the game as my son is a massive fan, used to take him to the game every week, and he played for the juniors.

Sammy MacIlroy was the manager at that time.

Cracking goal.

Well I think you're allowed to support two clubs so far apart. I support Altrincham and United, and there's no real conflict. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Well I think you're allowed to support two clubs so far apart. I support Altrincham and United, and there's no real conflict. 

I supported United long before I supported Morecambe. Only really started going to the Morecambe games when my son started training with them. Best part of that goal was Garry Thompson's pass. He scored the 1st and made the 2nd. Legend.

Edited by DannyCarlton

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

I supported United long before I supported United. Only really started going to the Morecambe games when my son started training with them. Best part of that goal was Garry Thompson's pass. He scored the 1st and made the 2nd. Legend.

I'd love to watch United away from home, but IMO going to home matches at a non league ground is more enjoyable that at a Premier League ground these days. Full of impatient, spoilt and racist fans complaining about VAR. 

9 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I'd love to watch United away from home, but IMO going to home matches at a non league ground is more enjoyable that at a Premier League ground these days. Full of impatient, spoilt and racist fans complaining about VAR. 

I’m a regular Southend United attendee as well as the Hammers  (when back in U.K.). Relevance being we will soon be non league the way we are going. 

Edited by Kadilo

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Labeled a "fiasco" by The Guardian. Overkill by nearly every pundit out there. Footballer misses PK and world ends.

• Like 1

At the start of the season would we have taken getting 4 points off Chelsea and Wolves I think we would have.

Most important is the way we played to get those points I am very satisfied with the performance's.

Only downside is we are a couple of players short of what we really need so we will have to rely on young ones stepping up.

Who else on here thinks Lingard is just not good enough, Stats are saying only one month out of the last 12 months has he scored or assisted that's just not good enough.

Just now, nev said:

At the start of the season would we have taken getting 4 points off Chelsea and Wolves I think we would have.

Most important is the way we played to get those points I am very satisfied with the performance's.

Only downside is we are a couple of players short of what we really need so we will have to rely on young ones stepping up.

Who else on here thinks Lingard is just not good enough, Stats are saying only one month out of the last 12 months has he scored or assisted that's just not good enough.

First half was brilliant. Just needed Martial to stick another of those chances away. At best I see him being an Andy Cole type who misses a few but scores a lot as well.

Lingard was playing in midfield on Monday so I think we can cut him some slack? He might be a bit too limited to play further forward. One thing Jessie has got is pace and a fantastic engine, so I think he can do a job playing deeper. 

2 minutes ago, nev said:

Agreed about Lingard.

First half was brilliant. Just needed Martial to stick another of those chances away. At best I see him being an Andy Cole type who misses a few but scores a lot as well.

Lingard was playing in midfield on Monday so I think we can cut him some slack? He might be a bit too limited to play further forward. One thing Jessie has got is pace and a fantastic engine, so I think he can do a job playing deeper. 

What about the shot by Lingard first half, It was shocking in fact he had enough time to stop it and then take a shot but no he tried a leg swing at it.

• Like 1

Just now, nev said:

What about the shot by Lingard first half, It was shocking in fact he had enough time to stop it and then take a shot but no he tried a leg swing at it.

He's far from perfect. But let's not forget he does pop up with important goals, like FA Cup final for example.

I certainly wouldn't be getting rid of him. He's United through and through, looks like he always gives everything and is pretty versatile. Isn't that what you want from a squad player Nev? I think the problem is he might be in the starting XI too much....

He's far from perfect. But let's not forget he does pop up with important goals, like FA Cup final for example.

I certainly wouldn't be getting rid of him. He's United through and through, looks like he always gives everything and is pretty versatile. Isn't that what you want from a squad player Nev? I think the problem is he might be in the starting XI too much....

He runs around a lot but his goal scoring has dried up, We really need someone better in his position I would throw Gomes in I really think that lad is ready.

• Like 1