Britain can end Brexit unilaterally, EU court advisor says

snoop1130

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

“their true colors”? What’s that? Good to see Brexiteers are still living in cloud cuckoo land. 

Entirely your prerogative but you might have found out if you'd played the clip before reaching for the keyboard.

Just now, welovesundaysatspace said:

“their true colors”? What’s that? Good to see Brexiteers are still living in cloud cuckoo land. 

It's a biased article, so I too ignore it - even though I agree with the sentiment in the quoted part of the post.

But as for brexiteers "living in cloud cuckoo land" - that too is just your biased opinion.

6 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

EU was very straightforward and open about the negotiations from the very beginning. 

Fun fact: It can take up to 100.000 years for photons to penetrate to the surface from the Sun's core. It takes 2 years for information to penetrate to some twitter accounts reality.

Just now, oilinki said:

EU was very straightforward and open about the negotiations from the very beginning. 

Fun fact: It can take up to 100.000 years for photons to penetrate to the surface from the Sun's core. It takes 2 years for information to penetrate to some twitter accounts reality.

"EU was very straightforward and open about the negotiations from the very beginning."

For the first time (I think) - I agree with you!

They made it very clear that they had no intention of negotiating - hence their agenda list ????, with which, for some obscure reason (......), May agreed ????!

Subsequent events have made it far clearer why May agreed with the eu's negotiating list.....

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

But as for brexiteers "living in cloud cuckoo land" - that too is just your biased opinion.

If someone claims the EU showed “their true colors” it means that person is living in cloud cuckoo land. The membership options and terms of the EU were known to everyone even before the vote, and the EU always said there wouldn’t be anything else than that on the table. There are no “true colors” that anyone had to show, only completely unrealistic expectations (thus “cloud cuckoo land”) triggered by false promises made. 

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

Whatever occurred did so in Brazil. HMG will no doubt publish fine detail on 29 March. Whether Russia are anywhere near it remains to be seen but I doubt it.

You do not really believe that Fox, just by talking to the Brazilians during his visit, secured a trade deal? If you do, you apparently do not know what a trade deal implies. If he ‘secured’’ anything, it is probably not more than that Brazil is willing to start negotiations after Brexit, but absolutely nothing of substance.

Leave in name only (without the electorate realising) is currently the 'game'.... And so far, it's failing - despite the endless doom prediction propaganda from the remain press.

Having heard it first time round (prior to the referendum) they're probably even more unlikely to believe the propaganda this time round....

22 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"EU was very straightforward and open about the negotiations from the very beginning."

For the first time (I think) - I agree with you!

They made it very clear that they had no intention of negotiating - hence their agenda list ????, with which, for some obscure reason (......), May agreed ????!

Subsequent events have made it far clearer why May agreed with the eu's negotiating list.....

As for the EU’s agenda: well, the EU started preparations for the Brexit talks immediately after the referendum, and thus had a 9 months’ headstart on the UK. So yes, at the first round of negotiations the EU had already looked into the matter from every possible practical, political and legal angle while the UK still had no idea how to handle it. So, personally, I wouldn’t blame the EU for ‘having an agenda’, but rather blame the UK for not having one after the 9 months between the referendum and the invoking of Article 50.

6 minutes ago, damascase said:

As for the EU’s agenda: well, the EU started preparations for the Brexit talks immediately after the referendum, and thus had a 9 months’ headstart on the UK. So yes, at the first round of negotiations the EU had already looked into the matter from every possible practical, political and legal angle while the UK still had no idea how to handle it. So, personally, I wouldn’t blame the EU for ‘having an agenda’, but rather blame the UK for not having one after the 9 months between the referendum and the invoking of Article 50.

assuming that most of what you are saying is reasonably aligned with reality,

what the double fooook did UK government and civil service do during those 9 months?

43 minutes ago, damascase said:

You do not really believe that Fox, just by talking to the Brazilians during his visit, secured a trade deal? If you do, you apparently do not know what a trade deal implies. If he ‘secured’’ anything, it is probably not more than that Brazil is willing to start negotiations after Brexit, but absolutely nothing of substance.

<cant be bothered>

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Entirely your prerogative but you might have found out if you'd played the clip before reaching for the keyboard.

What a dumb clip!

The EU have done a professional job and made the UK look stupid.

The clip didn't discuss any of the key points. Also, the idea that the divorce payment will be saved is a lie. And you know it.

Fake news should be penalised  IMO, together with those who peddle it

31 minutes ago, Grouse said:

May's lot didn't need any help but we're still better off in the long run by giving EU the sack.

Here's the school prefect in Singapore yesterday:

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Leave in name only (without the electorate realising) is currently the 'game'.... And so far, it's failing - despite the endless doom prediction propaganda from the remain press.

Having heard it first time round (prior to the referendum) they're probably even more unlikely to believe the propaganda this time round....

The propaganda that people would now ignore is the promises made by the Leave campaign. It appears, in the mind of Leavers posting here, that this failure to deliver the promised unicorn is due to the EU and Remainers? 

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

May's lot didn't need any help but we're still better off in the long run by giving EU the sack.

Singapore is no exemplar of civil society or social justice. Be careful what you wish for. I enjoy visiting but would never wish to live there. Great for tuition no doubt but education? Not really.

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Singapore is no exemplar of civil society or social justice. Be careful what you wish for. I enjoy visiting but would never wish to live there. Great for tuition no doubt but education? Not really.

Insead has a campus there; can’t do much wrong with their MBA programme. AFAIK at least one more good university there. 

I don’t enjoy it and would never want to live there. Expensive and clean. I could as well move back to Europe then. Enough to go there every once in a while for company events.

Whatever. You cannot compare Brexit-UK with 1965-Singapore. The “look, a small country can achieve great things alone”-narrative alone doesn’t work. Singapore grew because of authoritarianism/dictatorship, cheap migrant labor and workers rights violations (or complete absence thereof) and the globalization. How does that apply to the UK? 

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

It's not only May. It really isn't. 

I see UK slightly similar as former Soviet Union, which used to be a highly proud empire, but which is about to collapse. It was too and Russia still is permanent member of the UN security council. Perhaps England will raise from the UK's ashes one day. 

The other similarity to Soviet Union / Russia is that the people of UK / England are highly proud of their past. Their past status as real world power. This unfortunately restricts the way UK / England is able to learn from others, like Singapore does. 

"It's not invented here" is one of the most destructive sentences in today's world. All the successful countries, companies and other entities brase the learning from others and use those learnings to improve their societies and environments. 

The countries which are too proud to learn from others are eventually left behind. 

Times are different now. Technology and therefore societies are changing faster than ever before. One must either to keep up with the changes or give up and fade. 

25 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I disagree. I find Singaporean government probably the most functional government in the world. Perhaps not the exemplar of social justice on the most softest terms. 

Everything works, everything is quite fair for all of the citizens and there is enough money to make people's life better, even if Singapore has no natural resources.

I lived there for four years and enjoyed the time. At the time Singapore was a bit dull, but they also noticed it and made it more interesting, to lure in foreign talents. 

What I liked about the city state was that everything was planned and thought in advance when it came to city planning and how things should work in logical way. What I missed, at the time, was a bit of dirt here and there.. something to make life more interesting.

44 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Granted, but why not comment on what he said rather than where he said it?

BTW: He's in Malaysia today.I wonder whose next?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/foreign-secretary-hunt-visits-malaysia-as-part-of-first-overseas-trip-in-2019

15 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Granted, but why not comment on what he said rather than where he said it?

Probably because all the talk about "Singapore of the North Atlantic" ideas of what UK might become after brexit. 

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

please no more jokes about the UK becoming a Singapore,its getting silly now,spain,italy,portugal,poland,slovakia are our level playing field,let the stronger nations dream of becoming Singapore,brexit the NHS and a failed expensive benefits system means its a pipe dream,frankfurt and amsterdam and paris stand a chance.

12 minutes ago, bomber said:

please no more jokes about the UK becoming a Singapore,its getting silly now,spain,italy,portugal,poland,slovakia are our level playing field,let the stronger nations dream of becoming Singapore,brexit the NHS and a failed expensive benefits system means its a pipe dream,frankfurt and amsterdam and paris stand a chance.

The only mention related to Hunt's geographic location at the time of delivery!

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

what a terrible terrible speech,

he really shows off total lack of confidence in the UK and her properties,

must look down in his script for every 2nd word he utters

doesn't #10 have people who can train ministers on how to appear when outside of the bog?

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

doesn't #10 have people who can train ministers on how to appear when outside of the bog?

...hence the "School Prefect"????

(looks like he's caught someone with a fag-in-his-gob behind the bike sheds!)

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

What a dumb clip!

The clip didn't discuss any of the key points. Also, the idea that the divorce payment will be saved is a lie. And you know it.

Fake news should be penalised  IMO, together with those who peddle it

Professional job - right - just say non.

8 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

could of been worse he could of been reading from the side of a double decker bus

11 minutes ago, bomber said:

could of been worse he could of been reading from the side of a double decker bus

bloody laborious and costly though,

lugging a double decker from blighty to Singapore and onto Malaysia and further . . .

Archived