Anyone in the US and returning here?

Somtamnication

My son in Denver has a carebox (not many items) but the shipping is so darn prohibitive and I always end up fighting customs. 

Anyone there that will return to Phuket either this month or next? Of course, items can be taken out of the box and packed. Willing to pay something.

Tks!

I started international traveling back in '88. 
On one of my first trips, i met a French man who'd been traveling for 15 years. 
I asked him if he had any advice. 
He said:  "If anyone ever asked you to carry something of theirs through an international border, DON'T DO IT"

Sorry, I was in the states and saw this, but that ancient conversation came to mind right away. 
That's a lot to ask of someone. 

It doesn't matter.  You do realize drugs are found packaged in seemingly-sealed containers of food and other items, concealed in furniture, souvenirs, and children's toys, etc.?  Just 'cause your tin of Spam, bottle of Gatorade, silly wooden tchotchke, and stuffed Winnie-The-Pooh aren't in a box doesn't mean there's not something inside.

I get what you're trying to do, but it's risky for someone who doesn't know you.

Probably easiest just to pay a few dollars and get things shipped over.  When you say prohibitively expensive, what are you talking about?  A couple hundred dollars, or a couple thousand dollars?  I get items shipped from the US from both private parties and ebay shippers and cost seems reasonable to me even with customs.  Just have things shipped via regular first class mail and customs usually will never come into play.

Ahhh- the usual armchair opinions with no connection to Phuket (SP excepted!) jump on the bandwagon. Why not keep your opinions to yourself when a query does not affect you? No one needs an egg-sucking lesson.

I have friends who have brought mail order stuff across for me before from NA and Europe without any issues- its about who you know and how well they know you.

I always allow (make) them open the packages to ensure there is nothing amiss. If anything it cuts down on baggage weight.

if I have mail for someone to take overseas I always leave the envelopes unsealed so they can inspect them. I would only do the above with people I know though, not some random guy off the Net. 

As SP says look at the cost of postage and make sure you have a receipt. With a bit of luck it will sail through, if not a quick trip to the customs house. Don't pay duty at the post office though -it will be inflated (I got caught out once). If you have to pay at the Post Office- again keep the receipt and pay a visit to Customs to have everything checked next time you are down at Immigration- its just up the road. from all accounts they are pretty reasonable in there.

17 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Ahhh- the usual armchair opinions with no connection to Phuket (SP excepted!) jump on the bandwagon. Why not keep your opinions to yourself when a query does not affect you? No one needs an egg-sucking lesson.

I have friends who have brought mail order stuff across for me before from NA and Europe without any issues- its about who you know and how well they know you.

I always allow (make) them open the packages to ensure there is nothing amiss. If anything it cuts down on baggage weight.

if I have mail for someone to take overseas I always leave the envelopes unsealed so they can inspect them. I would only do the above with people I know though, not some random guy off the Net. 

As SP says look at the cost of postage and make sure you have a receipt. With a bit of luck it will sail through, if not a quick trip to the customs house. Don't pay duty at the post office though -it will be inflated (I got caught out once). If you have to pay at the Post Office- again keep the receipt and pay a visit to Customs to have everything checked next time you are down at Immigration- its just up the road. from all accounts they are pretty reasonable in there.

Thanks. I will most definitely keep that in mind.

18 hours ago, Psimbo said:

The point of the "armchair opinions" is to explain to the OP why he might not get any takers...

18 hours ago, Psimbo said:

"I would only do the above with people I know though, not some random guy off the Net." 

What's it got to do with a Phuket connection? The advice given by the various  members has been rock solid advice. Watch a program called CBSA (Canada Border Security Agency) or the American version (?) and you'll see many examples of the dangers of carrying possessions for others (except your well known family and closest/trusted friends).

Further, the OP is soliciting a stranger. Your sentence which I have put in parenthesis above says you wouldn't do this with "some random guy off the Net".

I repeat, other members have given rock solid advice.

Archived