British grub

JRG23

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The thing is about food, I like to eat, what I like to eat, I couodnt give a T**s as to its origins or what others think about it. If I like it, I eat it.

Not much more to say than that really.

Everyone has different taste, each to his own, and who is anyone to criticise what another likes/dislikes on his plate.

I dont know dude, I do feel that the raw Goat Sashimi they serve warm in Ethiopian Markets is a bit much....

And then there are Rocky Mountain Oysters.

19 hours ago, RickG16 said:

The only problem in Thailand is getting good bacon. All other fry up ingredients can be bought to a high standard, Inc. sausages.

And tbh I rate the Sunday dinners are better value in LOS. But depends where you live I guess.

I'm having a hard time with mushrooms. The most similar ones to uk ones seem to be Chinese mushrooms but the price fluctuates in big c.. Macro have them but I can't justify Macro for just mushrooms. I opt for tinned tomatoes over beans as again the price is a bit wild for a tin of beans here.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

3 tins for 99bht in Makro, doesn't seem that expensive.

24 baht in big c for the tomatoes.

I can't justify makro for mushrooms and beans. The meats awful, the cheese is ok but big C brought their price down to sensible level on cheese although makro is a much better deal. Cheese beans and mushrooms. I need 2-3 other items which compete well and I'll go to makro.

What about fish in makro I'm after trout I only ever tried it once 2 weeks ago in the UK I enjoyed it. Is it here? I'm after bone free or near bone free fish which is not too fishy. All suggestions welcome.

24 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Your opinion only, why start projecting it on to others or assuming that other people who have superior knowledge of modern British cuisine, and most likely, superior taste too, share your aversion or are as unlikely to try something new as you imagine. Tired old tropes mate, very boring.

If you think cold pork pies and warm beer sums up British food you have either been to the wrong place(s) or are just basing your dislike on something besides the grub. ????

And while you're probably right about the majority of Thai birds (men too) not being too adventurous, why assume the OP's missus would not be willing to try foreign food, especially as that's kinda what this post is in aid of.  I make a nice chicken cutlet and an ace chicken tikka massala - and my missus loves both and regularly enjoys western (pan-European) and Indian nosh with me. 

Funny how the only clear example you provided was indian food.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Tikka Masala was created in the U.K. and therefore it IS British food  

Purrlease! It is Indian food which has evolved overseas. In a similar way Californian style sushi roll is still Japanese food.

Edited by SheungWan