British grub

JRG23

I’m sure this has been covered. But I’m a new guy here in Thailand. At least living. But anyway, I want to take my Thai girl for some real British grub. Don’t fancy bars down nana etc. But where’s best, any ideas? I’ve seen Robin Hood pub on the net. Any good? Any place outside of sukhumvit. Thanks for any ideas. Cheers. J

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Your proposition could lead to a relationship breakdown. Quite apart from my opinion British cuisine is about the bottom of the ladder in terms of the various cuisines I have encountered, many Thai women are unable to move out of their comfort zone of Som Tam and Tom yam goong.

At the very least, I suggest you remove cold pork pies and warm beer from any prospective menu. Disgusting.

Quite an astute observation. I tend to view traditional Pom food as being little more than beer soak, although I do have a fondness for their disgustingly unhealthy Yorkshire pudding, as long as it is made properly and served with rare beef. A traditional Cornie isnt bad.

Warm beer is an anathema to any sophisticated Palate. I think of such things as Wine Jellies and shudder with anticipated nausea. Marmite too...and that disgusting Vegemite stuff...oh wait thats from your neck of the woods isnt it mate?

• Sad 1

Just now, pennine said:

Robin Hood is very good!

Is that a pub right next to a BTS?

Serving cider I believe. Place reminded me of a British pub was full of boys pretending to be men holding each others hands in the name of being lads. Rig workers sprang to mind. Thai pubs were much better 

16 hours ago, JRG23 said:

Think we'll try Black Swan. Toad in the hole sounds good. Not sure whether the missus will like it though! Thanks everyone

You won't be disappointed mate, your missus on the other hand.. I've taken a couple of Thai birds in there a few times, I've never seen one finish a meal, the portions are pretty sizable. They also serve Thai food if you decide to make it a regular thing though. You may want to sit up stairs, if you do you might have to ask them to stick the air on.

Think the search for Brit food is for your pleasure, Never seen any Thai girl really enjoy Brit food ,hell they don't  like American dishes. I have to eat alone on Thanksgiving Day as my wife hates turkey. Doesn't like ham on Easter says "it's too salty" doesn't like cheese "It's too salty" Krispy Kreeme donuts "it's too sweet" blah blah.

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Is that a pub right next to a BTS?

Serving cider I believe. Place reminded me of a British pub was full of boys pretending to be men holding each others hands in the name of being lads. Rig workers sprang to mind. Thai pubs were much better 

Probably in there for the libpool game.

31 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Think the search for Brit food is for your pleasure, Never seen any Thai girl really enjoy Brit food ,hell they don't  like American dishes. I have to eat alone on Thanksgiving Day as my wife hates turkey. Doesn't like ham on Easter says "it's too salty" doesn't like cheese "It's too salty" Krispy Kreeme donuts "it's too sweet" blah blah.

That all depends on what camp they came out of. Not easy to retrain a palate raised on rotten fish paste.

• Like 2