British grub

JRG23

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Au contraire, Mon frere. Fast food does not represent the American palate. For the hoity toity set we have such pure American delicacies as Oysters Rockefeller and Steak Delmonico, and for the more proletarian types we have Clam Chowders, Hoppin John, Corn Bread with Honey Butter and the like. The best thing about American cuisine is its universality, Mrs. Beaver Cleaver can have a dinner party serving braised Brisket (Jewish), Barbeque Brisket (African-American), Smoked Brisket (Texas), Shrimp Tacos (Mexican). German Potato Salad (German), Italian Sausage with Peppers (duh), Creamed Spinach (disgusting), Corn Fritters, Corn Bread and Corn (Mexican), Grilled Tomahawk Steaks (Oklahoma), Boiled Rice, Lobster Thermidor (France), Fried Rice (Asia) and so on.

No where do you find cold pork pies and marmite. Folks would rather eat Balut.

Mon Ami'

Tops Supermarket in Chiang Rai occasionally sells pork pies, and usually has marmite.

May I offer a Hollywood take on traditional American cuisine;

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

Mon Ami'

Tops Supermarket in Chiang Rai occasionally sells pork pies, and usually has marmite.

May I offer a Hollywood take on traditional American cuisine;

Thats very healthy for you. 

In my humble opinion English beer is not warm, some of the very good ones Bass included is served at room temperature. Some traditional old pubs in England sell it buy the jug and you share it with mates. Most quoting the “warm beer “ myth have never actually tried it in the correct environment and instead were brought up thinking weak, cold, fizzy, yank, pish water is beer.

And no, I’m not English.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Au contraire, Mon frere. Fast food does not represent the American palate. For the hoity toity set we have such pure American delicacies as Oysters Rockefeller and Steak Delmonico, and for the more proletarian types we have Clam Chowders, Hoppin John, Corn Bread with Honey Butter and the like. The best thing about American cuisine is its universality, Mrs. Beaver Cleaver can have a dinner party serving braised Brisket (Jewish), Barbeque Brisket (African-American), Smoked Brisket (Texas), Shrimp Tacos (Mexican). German Potato Salad (German), Italian Sausage with Peppers (duh), Creamed Spinach (disgusting), Corn Fritters, Corn Bread and Corn (Mexican), Grilled Tomahawk Steaks (Oklahoma), Boiled Rice, Lobster Thermidor (France), Fried Rice (Asia) and so on.

No where do you find cold pork pies and marmite. Folks would rather eat Balut.

So you have taken immigrant dishes and called them American. 

UK can do that too. 

Caribbean food, Indian food, Chinese food, Nigerian food. Also have seafood being a island. 

Who would of known. 

8 hours ago, Mooner said:

So you have taken immigrant dishes and called them American. 

UK can do that too. 

Caribbean food, Indian food, Chinese food, Nigerian food. Also have seafood being a island. 

Who would of known. 

Cold Pork Pies.

16 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Lets see what we are talking about here...........58638118_images(10).jpeg.60b8813a1f021db71a006496a16cb1b8.jpeg

Looks pretty damn good to me !!

(Shhhhhh....Me too but its too much fun to wind them up)

OK fine! Ill concede that the Aussie dude is a poseur and cold park pies are good. What about warm beer then, huh? And Marmite *insert gagging sound here*

On 12/7/2018 at 9:47 AM, Lacessit said:

Your proposition could lead to a relationship breakdown. Quite apart from my opinion British cuisine is about the bottom of the ladder in terms of the various cuisines I have encountered, many Thai women are unable to move out of their comfort zone of Som Tam and Tom yam goong.

At the very least, I suggest you remove cold pork pies and warm beer from any prospective menu. Disgusting.

"British cuisine bottom of the ladder", "warm beer" do you have any more worn out, decades out of date unfunny cliches for us?

8 minutes ago, rott said:

"British cuisine bottom of the ladder", "warm beer" do you have any more worn out, decades out of date unfunny cliches for us?

Let me guess. The brits lead the way with dishes like lasagne and let's not forget great curry. British food is seriously dull and admitting the obvious does not make you anti brit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

(Shhhhhh....Me too but its too much fun to wind them up)

OK fine! Ill concede that the Aussie dude is a poseur and cold park pies are good. What about warm beer then, huh? And Marmite *insert gagging sound here*

Do not know much about Marmite but as has been previously stated traditional British ales are meant to be drunk at room (ie cellar cool) temperature.

This could be because they have flavour. What you have been conditioned to think of as "beer" has to be drunk ice cold because if you could actually taste it, either there is no taste or it is minging.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Let me guess. The brits lead the way with dishes like lasagne and let's not forget great curry. British food is seriously dull and admitting the obvious does not make you anti brit.

No duller than German food which is excellent.

2 minutes ago, rott said:

No duller than German food which is excellent.

I am sure it is but I have not had enough to agree or disagree but English food I've had a lifetime of and I do not miss it. A fry up once in a while hits the spot and my Mrs makes stew weekly during the colder months but aside from that I'm not a fan. Italian food, Thai food, Vietnamese and Malaysian are my faves.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

So you don't like a full English breakfast, or roast dinner?

The thing is about food, I like to eat, what I like to eat, I couodnt give a T**s as to its origins or what others think about it. If I like it, I eat it.

Not much more to say than that really.

Everyone has different taste, each to his own, and who is anyone to criticise what another likes/dislikes on his plate.

• Like 2

Just now, RickG16 said:

So you don't like a full English breakfast, or roast dinner?

Keep up will ya. I said I like a fry up but overall given the choice if opt for most other foods besides English food. 

I mean when I think of English food I think of the aisles at tesco or sainsbury and that's a depressing thought. Trudging round those aisles for the same crap. The £3 meal deal was decent though and includes a 500 ml can of red bull now.

Edited by Rc2702

3 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Keep up will ya. I said I like a fry up but overall given the choice if opt for most other foods besides English food. 

I mean when I think of English food I think of the aisles at tesco or sainsbury and that's a depressing thought. Trudging round those aisles for the same crap. The £3 meal deal was decent though and includes a 500 ml can of red bull now.

The only problem in Thailand is getting good bacon. All other fry up ingredients can be bought to a high standard, Inc. sausages.

And tbh I rate the Sunday dinners are better value in LOS. But depends where you live I guess.

Just now, RickG16 said:

The only problem in Thailand is getting good bacon. All other fry up ingredients can be bought to a high standard, Inc. sausages.

And tbh I rate the Sunday dinners are better value in LOS. But depends where you live I guess.

Had my first roast in 3 years, 2 weeks ago Sunday.  Don't miss them but I do enjoy them. I actually like the Thai beef sausages but not used the same way as we know sausages. Thai beef sausages with sticky rice is a regular in our shack.

I just don't miss much of anything English even the Internet was worse in London last month. Shocking. Reminds me I must cancel that talk talk account.

Just now, CharlieH said:

The thing is about food, I like to eat, what I like to eat, I couodnt give a T**s as to its origins or what others think about it. If I like it, I eat it.

Not much more to say than that really.

Everyone has different taste, each to his own, and who is anyone to criticise what another likes/dislikes on his plate.

Nah there are some people who are just so closed to trying stuff it drives you nuts. A mate of mine has never tried a cheeseburger at McDonald's and has only ever ordered plain hamburgers and by that I mean a pattie and bun. He's never had any type of cocktail drink. The geezers fridged in every way there is and it's fair to say he's not eaten any pussy too. But he's a mate.

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

If you think British food is seriously dull then maybe try Bentley's Oyster Bar next time you are in London: http://www.bentleys.org/ In BKK and internationally I think we are primarily talking English breakfasts + fish and chips. Maybe also Steak Pubs, but they might also be Irish.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

Just now, SheungWan said:

If you think British food is seriously dull then maybe try Bentley's Oyster Bar next time you are in London: http://www.bentleys.org/ In BKK and internationally I think we are primarily talking English breakfasts + fish and chips. Maybe also Steak Pubs, but they might also be Irish.

Nah I'll give it a miss thanks. I don't yearn for any brit grub besides the odd fry up and I only make that on a Saturday once a month.