Container home in Thailand

STMx

12 minutes ago, STMx said:

Looks nice. What do you think?

I think that it may get hot inside, and that humidity and/or condensation might be problems.

Also I cant see (m)any windows.

That said, there is a restaurant in Pattaya (Retox) that has converted two containers into eating areas and that seems to work OK.

Theres a place here in Chiang Mai putting together these sort of things. They are more popular as a bar type set up, where the owners know in 12 months time they will be evicted for a new development.

some can look quite cool.

Theres also a "pod" type backpackers hostel here, stacked three or four high, never stopped and studied it but I thought, ok neat idea and again, can actually set up multiple times.

I also know of a house, a similar horrendous looking one that is a two storey painted yellow, with a red steel roof coming out at all angles and then blue soil and waste pipes. If the thread is still alive in a few days I will try and catch a photo of it.

bottom line....its a builders site cabin and always will be

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

What about building approvals etc., are there any rules /regulations covering this type of construction?

From what i have seen you stay well under the size required to have a building permit.There is a company that does it but i think they charge a lot considering you start with a 40 000 baht container.If you google container homes you will see all kinds.

59 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Just one pic. I'd like to see more of it. From initial impression it does not look complete. Bottom half looks bare and appears to be a container painted white.

But adding some additional siding or whatever could be good insulation and could change the appearance totally.

Seems to me there's a million ways to change the appearance, enhance the appearance, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, scorecard said:

But adding some additional siding or whatever could be good insulation and could change the appearance totally.

Seems to me there's a million ways to change the appearance, enhance the appearance, etc.

I like them a lot but that one just looks half baked.

The container home would work great for Thai / Farang marriages where she owns the land, he owns the container home. If things go south, relocate the container to "next station".

Now, seriously, millions of containers are shipped full of "junk" each year to North America but most must be returned to the east empty. As this is poor economics, many are sold off at destination. As CharlieH noted, some are converted to mobile offices/construction offices. Others are "repurposed" to become homes. I know of a multi-location self storage operation that has many thousands of these as short term rental facilities. Their rates are half of "built units" which would suggest that the cost of a container for this purpose is much less than the cost of building.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 473geo said:

I'm struggling to see the reason for the container, as opposed to a simple breeze block room. Apart from probably a little cheaper, but surely not much.

Containers might be a good idea in a high labor cost market, not for Thailand.In Thailand You can build a container size room for less than the cost of a container and to your size specifications.

4 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

For the base cost of traditional materials here I can't see how it would be efficient after all the remedial work to carry out insulation, plumbing and wiring etc......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Could not agree with you more!

And in the end you will have a conventional home you could posible sell. As far as moving a container home, as some have said. Good luck once you weld them together, cut doors, run electric and plumbing , brother it ain't moving..