What are the rules about re-registering address

Here we go as I just read a post from another married member who got fined for failing to re-register after a visa run.

I'm on a retirement extension of stay for the past 10 years, and have a permanent address with yellow tabien baan.

Early October I left to my home country for 2 weeks, and had a re-entry permit.

I filled my address on the TM card, but didn't went to immigration on my return.

Did I need to re-register, and will I be fined for not doing this?

According to my previous 90 day report, the next one would have been 8 December, but since my return date was 18 October, that would now be 17 January I assume.

Does it harm if I do my 90 report now, or should I wait till 17 January?

As for as any ruling to do with Immigration in this country , it varies from office to office.

I could tell you one answer because that is what I was told by my Immigration office. 

But i guarantee there will be other posters telling you a different story about their offices.

Your 90 day report reset to day 1 when you entered on October 18th. Your next 90 days ends on January 15th. No need to make a 90 day report now.

Some offices want someone/you to report your return after leaving the country. Many don’t. There would be little point doing that now. I suggest you ask your local office when you report your address again in January.

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I suggest you ask your local office when you report your address again in January.

I actually don't recall that I have ever specifically reported my address.

A few years ago there was the 2 or 3 page question form that needed to be filled in at had all your personal info.

I have filled that in and presented on my 90 day reports twice, but it was always rejected with te comment "next time ".

Previously there were copies from yellow tabien baan to be attached when reporting 90 day, but that has been done away with for some years already also.

3 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I actually don't recall that I have ever specifically reported my address.

A few years ago there was the 2 or 3 page question form that needed to be filled in at had all your personal info.

I have filled that in and presented on my 90 day reports twice, but it was always rejected with te comment "next time ".

Previously there were copies from yellow tabien baan to be attached when reporting 90 day, but that has been done away with for some years already also.

A 90 day report is an address report. That’s it’s whole purpose. You’re updating/re-confirming your address for the next 90 day period.

Edited by elviajero

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

A 90 day report is an address report. That’s it’s whole purpose. You’re updating/re-confirming your address for the next 90 day period.

Understood, and that was actually the reason why I suggested to do my 90 day report on the day as previously expected, because then they only look at the slip in my passport, while otherwise they will have to look at my entry stamp to count the 90 days and maybe see some easy money.

25 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Understood, and that was actually the reason why I suggested to do my 90 day report on the day as previously expected, because then they only look at the slip in my passport, while otherwise they will have to look at my entry stamp to count the 90 days and maybe see some easy money.

They probably wouldn’t accept the report because it’s not due. They will see the new entry and tell you to go back in January.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The reporting immediately after returning from abroad is not the 90 day report, it is something called a TM30 which is notification of your address, but not notification of staying more than 90 days. (I know, the 90 day also includes address so it seems repetitive, but there you have it).

The TM30 is actually supposed to be completed by the "housemaster" of your residence, it is a homeowner/landlord notification to immigration that an alien is staying at their residence. Hotels and the like all do this, private homes should also do so but for years did not. Some IOs have begun to enforce this and to do so by leaning on not the house owner but rather on the alien, levying fines at the time of extension of stay if the reporting was not done.

However this is not all IOs, just some. Bangkok Imm does not require reporting from private individuals, only businesses. Elsewhere in the country it is a hodegpodge. Some do not require it. Some require it just once when you first move in somewhere and again only if you move. Some require that it be resubmited everytime you have left the country and returned, even though to the same place. And a few require it if you were away from home even for 1 night within Thailand.

You need to find out from your Imm Office what they require as regards the TM30.

I have been told emphatically that I must report within 24 hours of my return to Prachinburi immigration office. A form, listing penalties of forced departure from the country is given to me everytime.

Nothing is fixed in all places in Thailand, provincial rights often seem to override national rights.

I need to roll with the flow or face a severe penalty if I do not.

There are many Cambodians in this province and that may have something to do with it. I have not seen graft at the immigration office, just strict adherance to the law as They see it.

I think this post shows up the vast variances in Thai law on visa compliance and border control. It would be good to have a common law. But maybe provincial offices will reject that. Thanks Sheryl for your post but like most of the Thai law and rules, it is ambiguous.

By the way, they needed both my wife and I to fill in the TM30 form, along with every other photo copy of all my documents that I provide everytime. And the documents of my wife. They must have a huge filing system.

The current policy here in CM is that you are required to report within 24 hours of returning, regardless of your status. However, If you do not have a new address and have the little slip from your previous TM 30 in your passport, they don't require anything more than showing up and presenting that slip in your passport - no new form or paperwork required.

I returned from an overseas trip last week and the whole process, once my number was up, took less than 2 minutes. They just logged me into the system and sent me on my way.

4 hours ago, fstarbkk said:

However, If you do not have a new address and have the little slip from your previous TM 30 in your passport, they don't require anything more than showing up and presenting that slip in your passport - no new form or paperwork required

I have never completed a TM30, and don't recall to have been asked for it, so also don't have a slip

I have been told emphatically that I must report within 24 hours of my return to Prachinburi immigration office. A form, listing penalties of forced departure from the country is given to me everytime.

Nothing is fixed in all places in Thailand, provincial rights often seem to override national rights.

I need to roll with the flow or face a severe penalty if I do not.

There are many Cambodians in this province and that may have something to do with it. I have not seen graft at the immigration office, just strict adherance to the law as They see it.

I think this post shows up the vast variances in Thai law on visa compliance and border control. It would be good to have a common law. But maybe provincial offices will reject that. Thanks Sheryl for your post but like most of the Thai law and rules, it is ambiguous.

By the way, they needed both my wife and I to fill in the TM30 form, along with every other photo copy of all my documents that I provide everytime. And the documents of my wife. They must have a huge filing system.

Indeed. I also report to Prachinburi and they must have a whole storeroom for my forms alone. Between myself and my Cambodian staff (who come and go a lot) I file on average about 15 TM30s a year each with the exact same voluminous set of attachments which in my case has to include not only tabian ban but original chanote and land lease document. All for a residence I have been in for 21 years straight.

They do not require reporting after travel within Thailand but do require after every trip out of the country. At least that is my understanding and what I have been doing and so far no problems.

Reporting after leaving the country but not after overnight travel within Thailand seems to be the majority opinion among Imm offices but there are some who don't require it at all and some that insist it is needed after even 1 night away within Thailand.

If you read the actual Imm law on this it does not specify -- just says have to notify when an alien takes up residence. I would actually interpret that to mean first moves in and not return from temporary trips where the person did not cease to pernanently reside there. But that's me. In typical Thai fashion each officer has their own idea what it means.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

As with anything in Thailand the law is what they say it is. You need to ask your local immigration what they want you to do for your situation and visa type. Ask them clearly, I am on --- visa and what do I do if I leave the country and return if I have not moved? what do I do if I just stay in country at a hotel for a weekend and have not moved? Do not listen to someone on TV that says, "I just went to Jomtiem and they told me they I didn't have to..." Just to find out later that they are on a different category visa than you are and that some categories they might want you to do it and some not. Every place is different and every category of visa could be different and depending on whether you are in or out of country could be different. Ask local immigration which of their crazy hoops they want you to jump through.

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The reporting immediately after returning from abroad is not the 90 day report, it is something called a TM30 which is notification of your address, but not notification of staying more than 90 days. (I know, the 90 day also includes address so it seems repetitive, but there you have it).

The TM30 is actually supposed to be completed by the "housemaster" of your residence, it is a homeowner/landlord notification to immigration that an alien is staying at their residence. Hotels and the like all do this, private homes should also do so but for years did not. Some IOs have begun to enforce this and to do so by leaning on not the house owner but rather on the alien, levying fines at the time of extension of stay if the reporting was not done.

However this is not all IOs, just some. Bangkok Imm does not require reporting from private individuals, only businesses. Elsewhere in the country it is a hodegpodge. Some do not require it. Some require it just once when you first move in somewhere and again only if you move. Some require that it be resubmited everytime you have left the country and returned, even though to the same place. And a few require it if you were away from home even for 1 night within Thailand.

You need to find out from your Imm Office what they require as regards the TM30.

That's a 'pin worthy' reply. 

13 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

They are paid to look at your stamp{s), all of them...

Why don't you just go and "try" to do a 90 Days Report? (In Chonburi Immigration Office, e.g. this is a matter of minutes.)

In Phuket my experience is every time you leave the residence you last registered at, you have to register again. That includes trips inside and out of Thailand. My landlord (ex) could not do it as she lived up country, I had to use a friends address to renew my license. The ex tried registering me at her nearest immigration office but they refused as it can only be done locally!!! I have to keep a stock of PoA and copies of her ID, house papers all signed to register after every trip, plus copies of divorce, kids birth certificate, kids ID etc etc. Changes every time.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 10:56 PM, elviajero said:

They probably wouldn’t accept the report because it’s not due. They will see the new entry and tell you to go back in January.

Went to do the 90 day report today as i still had the slip in my passport anyway.

They scanned the slip and issues a new one. He had a quick look through my passport, as I he must have seen something on his pc screen, but no questions asked.

Took a whole 4 minutes between entering and exiting the building, though quite a lot of people inside and outside.

19 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Went to do the 90 day report today as i still had the slip in my passport anyway.

They scanned the slip and issues a new one. He had a quick look through my passport, as I he must have seen something on his pc screen, but no questions asked.

Took a whole 4 minutes between entering and exiting the building, though quite a lot of people inside and outside.

However having done the 90 day report in no way meets the TM30 requirement (if your IO enforces that).

As previously explained these are entirely different requirements, even though both entail reporting your address.

IF your IO is one of those who enforce TM30 reporting and IF their interpretation is that you need to re-file a TM30 after returning from a trip abroad, where you will find out about it is when you do your next extension. They don't check it during 90 day reporting.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

However having done the 90 day report in no way meets the TM30 requirement (if your IO enforces that).

As previously explained these are entirely different requirements, even though both entail reporting your address.

IF your IO is one of those who enforce TM30 reporting and IF their interpretation is that you need to re-file a TM30 after returning from a trip abroad, where you will find out about it is when you do your next extension. They don't check it during 90 day reporting.

If that was a requirement in my IO, I'm sure they would have fined me now, as he looked at my reentry permit and other stamps in my passport. I have a pretty recent passport, so not much stamps in there yet.

If they don't find out now, then when they would find out?

I also menmtioned in another post that in those 10 years of retirement extensions I was never asked for a TM30.

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

If that was a requirement in my IO, I'm sure they would have fined me now, as he looked at my reentry permit and other stamps in my passport. I have a pretty recent passport, so not much stamps in there yet.

If they don't find out now, then when they would find out?

I also menmtioned in another post that in those 10 years of retirement extensions I was never asked for a TM30.

It would be at the time of extension. Not at the time of 90 day report.

It may be that yours is one of the IOs that does not enforce this. Mine did nto use to either but they do now. When they first started they gave an initial warning durin gthe first year  then started the fines thereafter.