Is GrabTaxi operating in Pattaya ?

thairookie

Grab Car drivers in Pattaya are not popular among the taxi mafia. They will avoid pickup points at the bus terminal , Central etc. 

But they are reliable, just try to avoid the mafia or you could experience a real "Thai fight" .

Grab Car is very popular among the "taxi mafia" because the "taxi mafia" made so much stress earlier this year that grab car in pattaya is only a bad joke. Depending on your route grab car costs the same or 10-20 baht less than a grab taxi you can order via the same grab app. Previously grabcar was half the price than grab taxi but that changed dramatically after grab overtook uber and had its round-table with the pattaya taxi association or whatever this gang might be called correctly...

Edited by lemonwaterjoe

11 hours ago, balo said:

Grab Car drivers in Pattaya are not popular among the taxi mafia. They will avoid pickup points at the bus terminal , Central etc. 

But they are reliable, just try to avoid the mafia or you could experience a real "Thai fight" .

I always take a grab from hotel to bus terminal. Soi Buakhao to bus about 180 baht before noon. Sometimes they want to let you off on the side of the bus terminal. I assume this is to avoid taxi mafia. Sometimes the grab driver pulls straight up to the ticket window without fear. But I always use the taxi mafia baht buses from the bus station to my hotel. 

Edited by Wake Up
  • Like 1

I'm in UK at present, but is the Grab Car app on the Google Play Store, as I cannot find it? I can see Grab Malaysia and Philippines but not Thailand.

Would someone be so good as to post a link please.

Oh and from @lemonwaterjoe comment above, can i assume that my UK Uber app will not work in Pattaya?

Thanks in anticipation.....

5 hours ago, VBF said:

I'm in UK at present, but is the Grab Car app on the Google Play Store, as I cannot find it? I can see Grab Malaysia and Philippines but not Thailand.

Oh and from @lemonwaterjoe comment above, can i assume that my UK Uber app will not work in Pattaya?

You would probably need a Thai VPN connection for the Play store to show you what's available in Thailand. Some apps are strictly geolocated.

Uber no longer trade anywhere in Thailand having sold their business to Grab.

26 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You would probably need a Thai VPN connection for the Play store to show you what's available in Thailand. Some apps are strictly geolocated.

Uber no longer trade anywhere in Thailand having sold their business to Grab.

Thanks (x2) @NanLaew ????

I'll take a look for Grab Car when I get to Thailand - won't take long to download.

One other question: Is it like Uber in UK where you have to have a method of payment already set up, or can you pay cash?

Edited by VBF

13 hours ago, VBF said:

Thanks (x2) @NanLaew ????

I'll take a look for Grab Car when I get to Thailand - won't take long to download.

One other question: Is it like Uber in UK where you have to have a method of payment already set up, or can you pay cash?

I have only paid cash when using Grab Taxi in Thailand. No idea if it's different for Grab Car here or if alternative payment methods need to be set up now but being Thailand where cash is king, I think you'll be alright.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2018 at 8:46 AM, VBF said:

Yes, Uber won't work in Pattaya

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

For the benefit of those who find this thread in the future (I assume the OP has been and gone) you can set up an overseas or local credit card payment in grab, it works great, download any Asian grab before you go, and it will update geograpically in Thailand.

Also grab translates texts to and from your driver. And gives generous ride coupon bonuses from time to time. How did we live without it? 

When I see gormless tourists near a tuk tuk, I want to 'grab' them and yell, 'get a clue for ,#®#+£ sake!'

May the taxi mafia die a gradual death. 

Edited by Small Joke
  • Like 1