Skinny elephant at zoo: Officials defend treatment of animals as " public safety"

webfact

Skinny elephant at zoo: Officials defend treatment of animals as " public safety"

1pmm.jpg

Picture: Amarin TV

A farm and zoo near Bangkok has defended its treatment of animals. 

After pictures of a skinny elephant were spread on the internet netizens were concerned that animals at Samut Prakan Alligator and Zoological park were being mistreated. 

An elephant was seen in a video practicing for a show - its rib cage was clearly visible. 

FB6-768x432.jpg

Picture: Amarin TV

It was performing a trick of walking on two narrow rails.

There was also an old horse that looked at death's door. 

Management chief Uthen Yangpraphakorn explained that the elephant was used in a show and was kept lean to stop it becoming mean. 

If it went into musth it could represent a danger to the public at the zoo. 

"And who wants that?" asked Uthen defending his facility. "that would be dangerous". 

He also said that the elephant in the video is no longer in the show, this was old news. 

The horse was 15 years old - 80 in human terms, he said. Not surprisingly he had seen better days. 

Uthen said that the authorities make regular visits and his farm is ethical and up to standards.

Source: Amarin TV

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-11

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

Uthen said that the authorities make regular visits and his farm is ethical and up to standards.

either he's lying through his back teeth or these appalling "standards" has to be revised immediately...

57 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Blaming the ''public''.........feed that idiot to the skinny tigers

Yes- once an idiot, always an idiot. These "marginal at best" people think that others will accept their BS excuses.. Nice Try Uthen.... You fail as a human being and there is no saving face for you. And Uthen...look up the word "exploitation". Surely - you're not aware of its meaning.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Management chief Uthen Yangpraphakorn explained that the elephant was used in a show and was kept lean to stop it becoming mean. 

Nice excuse to explain mistreatment.  I see the bloke in the picture hasn't missed a meal lately.
Hope they drop the hammer on these cretins. 

What a load of nonsense. A 15 year old horse isn't old and certainly isn't 80 in human years. My 20 old horse looks a lot better than that and I expect it to be around at least 10 more years. It would then be at least 160 years old according to this man...

2 hours ago, Fred31 said:

No, he's British, comes in once a month to pick up his (illegal) welfare scammed payment

I'm British yet don't get the connection at all. Can you please explain what you are trying to say?

I visited the elephant sanctuary near to the John Hopkins School on the Siam Country Road last month. They also have a sanctuary in Chang Mai. They are protecting elephants just like these, giving them passports etc.. you can wash them, feed them and learn how to make paper out of their poop!! No chains allowed obviously and the elephants are free to roam. Many people haven't heard of this sanctuary so please visit and spread the word. 

Archived