Harrowing images show painfully thin animals at controversial Thai zoo

snoop1130

Harrowing images show painfully thin animals at controversial Thai zoo

561000012739407.JPEG

A zoo in Thailand has been widely criticized after shocking images of severely underweight animals went viral on social media.

The images taken on Friday show a very thin Asian elephant being forced to perform tricks at Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo.

With its spine and ribs clearly visible the elephant is made to walk along metal rope and balance on wooden tables.

The images posted on the We Love Samut Prakan Facebook page also showed a horse, which people said looked like it was ‘starving’.

Others commenting shared their harrowing tales after visiting the zoo.

One user wrote: “This place is disgusting. It stinks and most of the animals are so thin, it is not only the elephants. I visited recently but cried as I was walking around. It’s horrible.”

Others said the zoo should be shut down, while many questioned the authorities responsible for checking the welfare of animals at zoos in Thailand.

Other images online taken at the zoo show elephants forced to ride skateboards, while handlers can be seen putting their heads inside the  mouth of a crocodile.

On Tripadvisor, people rated the zoo as “Terrible”, and asked for it be shut down, while others described it as “absolutely awful”.

Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo, which is reportedly the world’s largest crocodile farm, is also known to use two-tier pricing for entrance, with Thai nationals charged a fee of 60 baht, while foreigners are charged 300 baht.

This isn’t the first time Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo has been in the news for the way it treats animals.

In 2017, Thai media reported on the filthy conditions at the zoo, with crocodiles and bears forced to swim in putrid green water and other animals forced to live in cages forced to live in cages with plastic bottles and other litter strewn on the floor.

trip-advisor.png

Source: Manager Online

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

not a good image to be portrayed, could be big loss of face for Thailand 

And again the question; where are the authorities who are responsible to monitor such places.?

These animals didn't reach this condition overnight, this is months and months of neglect.

Where are the authorities? Especially since since this venue has been criticised and investigated several time before for the same reasons!

About 5 years ago regrettably I visited this old, rusty, crumbling out-dated crocodile farm and zoo and figured by now the place would have been torn down and replaced with high rise condo complexes and a shopping center.  The soiled buildings, rusty steel cages, faded fiber glass jungle scenes looked like something out of the 50’s. Many of the crocodiles were difficult to see because of the thick green algae covering the pools. The few token zoos animals were in sad shape. I was sure the Chinese-Thai family were still holding onto this depressing site until the correct land developer came along and offered them the millions of dollars for the real estate. Most likely the crocodile leather sales and the minimum amount of income from the entrance fee helps to keep this old family establishment afloat. Sad the animals have to suffer 

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A zoo in Thailand has been widely criticized after shocking images of severely underweight animals went viral on social media.

This zoo was the first one I visited in '99 and once was enough. However, I have been dragged back several times with either school functions or overseas guests. In my mind's eye, I can still remember taking the shot of the tiger in 2007. Why? Simply because, I had never seen a skinny tiger except in cartoons. Sorry for the lousy pic but it was my first digital camera.

The second photograph is a typical look at farm animals just down the road from me. Throughout Thailand I have seen skinny herds almost everywhere. I grew up on a dairy farm and know what a healthy cow should look like. As a matter of fact the ChokChai dairy farm is the only place that I have seen a well kept herd. There are bound to be other places, but I ain't see any...

tiger.jpg

cock.JPG

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

Saddly it might be more humane to put the critters down, and have a giant all you can eat exotic''Wildlife Zoo Buffet''...that should get the Chinese back...

Your probably wondering why nobody liked your comment? 

Just wanna cry when I see pics like this. Makes me think of my two little dogs back home and wonder what would happen to them if they one day have to live with someone who doesn't care about them. 

If you can't love your fellow little creature you should not be a caretaker to them. Shut them down and find people who would live them and feed them!

I am told that much the same is happening in Phuket Zoo. I will not go there, but of course there are coach loads every day. Unless the government, or local authorities do something about it? Which of course they will not, unless there is going to be money for them involved??? Then it will stay much the same, as ever. What has happened about the plastic issue they were suppose to be dealing with? Nothing at all. The beaches, especially in Chalong are disgusting, the day boats haul their daily customers through plastic trash on the beaches and roads every day. However of course the customers do care ever. Until someone kicks up, then nothing will be done. Attitude is everything. Sadly very few give S**T.  

36 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Just wanna cry when I see pics like this. Makes me think of my two little dogs back home and wonder what would happen to them if they one day have to live with someone who doesn't care about them. 

If you can't love your fellow little creature you should not be a caretaker to them. Shut them down and find people who would live them and feed them!

Yes, the little cute crocks need someone to care for them and all the little chickens, grasshoppers, snails, butterflies and the crawling critters, and the flying things, all them cute little things.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

while foreigners are charged 300 baht.

300 THB to see starving animals,that's a bargain,obviously they 

are not spending a lot on food,as that would affect the bottom line.

if they die,just get some more,shut it down now !!!.and charge the owners.

regards Worgeordie

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

UPDATE:

Skinny elephant at zoo: Officials defend treatment of animals as " public safety"

1pmm.jpg

Picture: Amarin TV

A farm and zoo near Bangkok has defended its treatment of animals. 

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1072579-skinny-elephant-at-zoo-officials-defend-treatment-of-animals-as-public-safety/

He must have worked in Government - coming up with a typical idiotic statement to justify the unjustifiable! Telling lies (to save face?) seems to be second nature to some.

DISGUSTING!

Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo, which is reportedly the world’s largest crocodile farm, is also known to use two-tier pricing for entrance, with Thai nationals charged a fee of 60 baht, while foreigners are charged 300 baht.

I wonder where they would have gotten the idea that it is alright to charge an outrageously inflated price for foreigners? Could be the National Park system whose two tier pricing is even more flagrant?

I never understand how people go to these animal shows and come away sickened and shocked, dont they understand before they go that animal shows are by their nature abusive? I took this photo at the 9th Army battalion zoon in Lat La, Kanchanaburi about 6 years ago. Most pathetic condition I have ever seen animals. Didn't know what it was just wandered in by mistake. I see the place has had a lick of paint and a new restaurant since then. Lets hope they improved the conditions that the single bear and two suicidal looking gibbons were living in or at least put them out of their misery by now. 

monkey.jpg

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Most zoos and similar "attractions" in Thailand have been a national disgrace for years so there is nothing new about this.

As long as it brings in money it is considered acceptable, and there's nothing new about that either.

Carry bus loads of Chinese there, let them complain on social medias and it will get better soon...

2 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Nothing new humans exploiting animals,

Thais,Russians, Chinese are all experts at such caring failure, then add

Spanish for sport,

we are underdeveloped  breed, in many ways,

Humans are worse than any animal on this planet !

Archived