Thailand made red (fruit) wine

cyril sneer

I picked up 2 bottles of the stuff today by a company called Boss Lake Hill

165 baht for Pineapple and Rosella (11.5%)

209 baht for 'Herbal' Black Rhizomes and Rosella (11.5%) 

What's the general thoughts around Thai made fruit wine?

Obviously they don't come close to imported real grape wine, but these are surely a better value option than Mont Clair and the rest of the fruit wines which are nearly double the price..

I've tried doing a search on the forum about this particular company but couldn't find anything

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Come on over to my place. Cherry Berry 13%, Apple & Pomegranite Rose 13%, Mulberry 15%. All made from Tipco juices, sugar, yeast and that's it.

That's the way to go.

Make it yourself instead of buying rotgut at inflated prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a word....awful, another word....undrinkable, another word.....disgusting!!! To import wine into LoS you have to pay 475% duty! Oz decided to become duty free so Thailand added 25% and then took it off to comply!! You even have to pay the duty on "Must" (grape juice)! If you're desperate for punishment then go right ahead!!

There are 'fruit wines' from well known Western winemakers, imported to Thailand to avoid the massive tax on real wine. 

I don't even buy this wine often because it's so expensive, and I can't recommend any specific types, however I've definitely drunk fruit wine in Thailand that tasted very like real wine.

To be fair to the OP, I haven't tried Thai fruit wine. 

1 hour ago, Changoverandout said:

Can you share the process please 

4 litres juice, 1 kg sugar, 1 lemon squeezed, I sachet Malvin yeast. All into CLEAN 20 litre plastic bucket with lid. Leave for 10 -14 days. Siphon into CLEAN 5 litre glass jar leaving any sediment behind. Leave for a week. Siphon into CLEAN bottles, I use 620 ml beer bottles and have corks with plastic tops. Leave in dark, cool place until you need to drink it. Apple & Pomegranite juice makes nice rose, Cherry Berry and Mulberry juices work OK, the Red Grape juice is a bit weak and tasteless unless you add concentrated grape juice you get in UK. There are places online in Bkk which sell yeast, but it is Bht 170, in UK 99p, but what the hell. Get caught making it, Bht 200 fine. Sell it Bht 5000 fine.

Vino (1).jpg

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Rather than putting a top on we used to stretch a balloon over the neck. The balloon will inflate in 7-10 days then will deflate in a few more days.

When the balloon is deflated, it’s ready. Pour it through a rag and it’s good to go..

Great idea, but you are only supposed to bottle it once fermentation has stopped, ie SG = 0. If you want to keep it, unless you can drink 4 litres quickly, you will need corks, or some way to seal the bottle from oxygen. 

• Like 1