Should I be concerned ?

sanemax

Today I went to visit a Female friend and she wasnt home , so I sat outside and waited , her 17 year old daughter and 3 year old son were waiting outside as well . They were sat together and I sat opposite on a bench .

A 50 something Westerner drove by  , parked his bike and went over to the both of them, asking her whether she was the mother of the kid , she replied that it was her brother .

He then opened his bag , took out some new crayons and a colouring book and gave then to the boy , he then sat down and showed the boy how to colour in the book .

He then took a few photos of the boy , stood up, went to his bike and drove off .

"Who was that" I asked the daughter , she had no idea who it was and thought that he was one of my friends .

When the mother got back home , I asked who he was and she had no idea either .

So, a random guy drew up on a motorbike ,  gave a 3 year boy a present , took some photos and went off again  .

The Boy is always either with myself , mother or sister , so the guy wouldnt have known the boy from anywhere else without one of us recognising  him and he also didnt call the boy by his name.

The house is in a central area and there is a cluster of go-go bars at the other end of the road .

Should I be concerned or is that just a normal thing to happen ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Of course you didn't ask the guy who he was?  Did he speak Thai to the children? 

Its a big Family , Mothers got 14 brothers & sisters and many more cousins , and quite a few of them have felang boyfreinds/husbands and it not uncommon for some to drop by .

He also didnt speak or pay any attention to any of the other kids , just the one in particular 

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

In the lonely planet they adviced to bring crayons and pens for the thai kids to give to them...in the past kids didn't have them so the backpackers gave it to them as present.

Maybe this guy also read that lonely planet?

I dont think that it was that , because the kid is a well dressed , well nourished healthy looking non street kind of kid , not the kind of kid that you think needs crayons .

The book and crayons were also bought from the big bookstore around the corner .

I think that behavior sounds very strange - in many ways.

Why would any stranger do that?

And if he has bad things in mind (for the future) it's even more strange that he behaves like that with other people around.

And the way you describe it I doesn't sound like he did this the first time like that.

Hopefully someone told the boy to never ever go with such a guy anywhere...

An average adult male, either Farang or Thai, don`t usually go around carrying children`s crayons and a colouring books with them.

More likely that the guy in question knows those kids or at least knows the mother. Perhaps he even knows the 17 year old daughter and she was trying to be discrete.

No guy would turn up out the blue, turn up at a house, give one of the kids a gift, chat to them and take a photo unless having some kind of association with one of the family members somehow.

What type of relationship does the OP have with this woman and why didn`t walk over and ask the guy what he was doing there?

All sounds rather weird to me, bit hard to believe.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

An average adult male, either Farang or Thai, don`t usually go around carrying children`s crayons and a colouring books with them.

More likely that the guy in question knows those kids or at least knows the mother. Perhaps he even knows the 17 year old daughter and she was trying to be discrete.

No guy would turn up out the blue, turn up at a house, give one of the kids a gift, chat to them and take a photo unless having some kind of association with one of the family members somehow.

What type of relationship does the OP have with this woman and why didn`t walk over and ask the guy what he was doing there?

All sounds rather weird to me, bit hard to believe.

I am quite certain that the guy had no association with the boy , I do have a relationship with the mother and I take care of the kid in the daytime whilst the mother goes to work and I'm around her place most nights  .

The Daughter doesnt live there , so he wouldnt have been going to visit her there and she openly tells me about her relationships .

He also asked the daughter whether the boy was her child and the boy wasnt his normal friendly self to people he knows .

I did initially think that he was a family friend and it wasnt until he went and I asked who he was and no one knew .

He did say "Merry Christmas " and was behaving a bit like a Santa Claus , one plausible explanation is that he had been playing a Santa Claus at a school Christmas party and had one present left over , which he gave to the first kid that he saw .

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

one plausible explanation is that he had been playing a Santa Claus at a school Christmas party and had one present left over , which he gave to the first kid that he saw

Because he couldn't give that last present to anyone in the school, correct?

That sound very very far fetched.

I understand that at first you didn't want to interfere because somehow you though there is a family connection.

But after you found out there is apparently no connection and the guy just turned up to "play" with the little boy I think all alarm bells should be ringing loud.

As far as I see there is no harmless realistic explanation for what happened - except someone is withholding information.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Because he couldn't give that last present to anyone in the school, correct?

That sound very very far fetched.

I understand that at first you didn't want to interfere because somehow you though there is a family connection.

But after you found out there is apparently no connection and the guy just turned up to "play" with the little boy I think all alarm bells should be ringing loud.

As far as I see there is no harmless realistic explanation for what happened - except someone is withholding information.

He seemed to just to want to take a photo of the boy colouring in the book though .

I have thought of  likely scenario : The guy bought the book and crayons for his GF's kid , she told him to go away , so he took the book and crayons and gave it to a random kid and took a photo to send to his GF as to say *If you dont want it , someone else will* ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

He seemed to just to want to take a photo of the boy colouring in the book though .

I have thought of  likely scenario : The guy bought the book and crayons for his GF's kid , she told him to go away , so he took the book and crayons and gave it to a random kid and took a photo to send to his GF as to say *If you dont want it , someone else will* ?

What planet are you on?

Seriously if you are providing some care to the child at that time or other times then you must know and must not be a coward in these scenarios.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Maybe he is a target of a pedo ring now cos you let this event happen and the colouring book may be a proof of some sort or even a sick fetish. Shameful stuff to be honest a real standby a do nothing scenario. Was your dad a deserter in the War?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

Max you should have quizzed him told him no to the gifts as you want to teach the boy not to accept gifts from strangers and made him delete the photos or you would call the police. 

As far as I know there are no laws in any country to prevent a person taking photos in a public place (excluding Korea).

But refusing the gifts might have been a good idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Maybe he is a target of a pedo ring now cos you let this event happen and the colouring book may be a proof of some sort or even a sick fetish. Shameful stuff to be honest a real standby a do nothing scenario. Was your dad a deserter in the War?

At the time , the boy was under the care of his sister and I had just arrived at the house and inquired as to where mum was , and was told that she would be back soon and I waited across the road .

The guy stopped his motorbike , gave him the crayons and book and then took the photos , it was then that I walked across the road and picked the kid up , he then drove off and it was only when I asked who he was that I realised that he wasnt a family friend .

Their house does often get visitors and its usually "Oh, thats my sisters cousins daughters mums friend" or something

36 minutes ago, sanemax said:

At the time , the boy was under the care of his sister and I had just arrived at the house and inquired as to where mum was , and was told that she would be back soon and I waited across the road .

The guy stopped his motorbike , gave him the crayons and book and then took the photos , it was then that I walked across the road and picked the kid up , he then drove off and it was only when I asked who he was that I realised that he wasnt a family friend .

Their house does often get visitors and its usually "Oh, thats my sisters cousins daughters mums friend" or something

Please remember, you started this thread with the question: Should I be concerned ?

I think the overwhelming response is: Yes, you should be very concerned.

Sometimes we all don't act as fast as we think we should have in the hindsight, especially with unusual situations like the one you described.

I think it's good that you thought about it and I guess in the future you will be concerned.

Take care!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I know there are no laws in any country to prevent a person taking photos in a public place (excluding Korea).

But refusing the gifts might have been a good idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law

Yah, but when I take photos of Kids I ask the parents permission.

• Like 1

The photo doesn't necessarily surprise me... of course it's currently all over his Instagram of the "locals" he met and how nice he was to them... I'm more surprised he didn't manage to get himself into the shot.

The fact that he asked if the girl was his mother makes me wonder if he was like, "Oh look at this poor child of a young parent" and turned out to be wrong...

14 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

My point is you just don't know and it could be your worst nightmare it could just be a mad coincidence but you had the chance to find out and this has left you with questions.

I am not really in a loved up relationship with the mother and I dont care what she does.

I refuse to commit to a "proper relationship" , I am content with the "gik" status and shes free to go out with whomever she wants too , saying that , I am quite certain that she isnt seeing anyone else , but I wouldnt care if she was 

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I am not really in a loved up relationship with the mother and I dont care what she does.

I refuse to commit to a "proper relationship" , I am content with the "gik" status and shes free to go out with whomever she wants too , saying that , I am quite certain that she isnt seeing anyone else , but I wouldnt care if she was 

Let me guess. Your doing this right on your doorstep. You just split with a bird and now your carrying on like Jack the lad in your own backyard. You can't just go from 1 to the other like that who knows what's being cooked up. How did you find the current one? 

3 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Let me guess. Your doing this right on your doorstep. You just split with a bird and now your carrying on like Jack the lad in your own backyard. You can't just go from 1 to the other like that who knows what's being cooked up. How did you find the current one? 

Once again , you are mistaken , I havent "just split with a bird" and and havent gone from "1 to the other" .

Shes sort of a gf , friend, gik, friends with benefits , that kind of thing and I dont want to take things any further than that .

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Once again , you are mistaken , I havent "just split with a bird" and and havent gone from "1 to the other" .

Shes sort of a gf , friend, gik, friends with benefits , that kind of thing and I dont want to take things any further than that .

So you did not have a long term partner in the last year?

Just to confirm you are currently operating under sanemax handle. Hope your aware of this.

Edited by Rc2702