Damaged roof

KevinboyCM

if I cop infestation, a positive outlook results in my goldfish getting an endless supply of bugs for their food...

in your case, i'd be profiting from the falling fruit... making and selling off the jam

besides with Insurance for a renter... you'd only be covered for 'Contents'

1 hour ago, KevinboyCM said:

Thanks to all the bright lights who have offered sage advice

Many people tried to help you, to explain how things are done here. Gave you options, and advised you on the way your landlord/manager view this situation.

You accepted none of it, and insulted the very people who were trying to help you.

Caveat Emptor

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

This is why it's a good idea for newcomers to rent condos in well-managed buildings where they can simply go to the building office when something breaks and the office staff will arrange for a plumber, aircon contractor, electrician or whomever to come to their unit, often the same day to make the needed repair.  They will still have to pay for the repair as the renter, because after all this is Thailand and everyone knows that tenants pay for repairs if something in the condo breaks during their residency, but at least there is someone English-speaking in the condo office who can arrange for a good repair person to come quickly, charge a fair price and serve as a translator, if needed.  Also to try to explain to the tenant why they have to pay for the repair and maybe help them to manage the owner if the owner objects to deductions from the rent for minor repairs.

Meanwhile, while living in that first condo, the newcomer will have an opportunity to study Thai and learn about Thai culture with other newcomers who are going through these same type of eye-opening learning experiences discovering that they aren't in Oz, Kansas or Manchester anymore.

Good advice. But I also think when you enter the country you should get a pamphlet explaining that you have no rights here; you get no service here; the landlord cares not if his house is burning down and in an accident it will be your fault. lol

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

This is why it's a good idea for newcomers to rent condos in well-managed buildings where they can simply go to the building office when something breaks and the office staff will arrange for a plumber, aircon contractor, electrician or whomever to come to their unit, often the same day to make the needed repair.  They will still have to pay for the repair as the renter, because after all this is Thailand and everyone knows that tenants pay for repairs if something in the condo breaks during their residency, but at least there is someone English-speaking in the condo office who can arrange for a good repair person to come quickly, charge a fair price and serve as a translator, if needed.  Also to try to explain to the tenant why they have to pay for the repair and maybe help them to manage the owner if the owner objects to deductions from the rent for minor repairs.

Meanwhile, while living in that first condo, the newcomer will have an opportunity to study Thai and learn about Thai culture with other newcomers who are going through these same type of eye-opening learning experiences discovering that they aren't in Oz, Kansas or Manchester anymore.

I've rented 2 newish condo's in CM Nancy, and any repairs were always carried out and paid for by the owner.

The OP is renting a cheap place and so it's understandable the owner doesn't want to pay for ongoing repairs.

5 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I've rented 2 newish condo's in CM Nancy, and any repairs were always carried out and paid for by the owner.

The OP is renting a cheap place and so it's understandable the owner doesn't want to pay for ongoing repairs.

Your "newish" condos may actually have been covered under some sort of warranty from the builder or developer.  Some of my friends have purchased condos in new buildings and repairs are carried out by the building developer during the first year or so.

It's really more common for tenants to take on the repair of minor things, especially if under 1000 baht.  The OP is going to spend more than that in consulting a lawyer about his "rights".  Frankly, I don't have the time or energy to hassle my owner with every little repair, like replacing a leaking faucet or blowing out the drain line of a dripping aircon unit, especially since I use autopay to transfer the rent payment from my account to his every month.  He gave us a good rate and long lease, so I know we're getting a good deal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Right but not cheap here. Actually a little above average. In a remote area.  So I appreciate the owner does not want to spend money for repairs except before I moved in they agreed to fix the dual gate which they did (comedy of errors. the guys had to come out three times to line up first the inside sprockets and then the outside sprockets. too funny for words. guess poor workmanship is thai culture as well).  They also agreed to fix two doors damaged by the previous renter (they did not fix either door).  And respectfully disagree that the owner doesn't care about all the improvements I made at my cost. I think maybe because of all the improvements (sealed the floors and walls, 8k for new electric, 8k drapes, paint, fixed the plumbing outside kitchen area, netted the entire kitchen in etc etc) as well as maintaining the place I think she just thinks because I invested so much fluck me I'll pay to do it myself. Pretty piss poor attitude if you ask me but this is Thailand and yeah she got me. Like someone said I do have a choice and it cost me 1500 so far for the trees and to get a tarp up there may cost me a couple thousand more so "logically" if I spent 40k in upgrades another 3-4k I'm gonna move out?  That would be "stupid"on my part.  Gotta assume she gambled and I lost but if I could sue her and win the she loses. Somebody out there in the drug haze just maybe gets my point. Or not. Like Melania said, Ï don't care".  And it's fun to debate with the witless folks sometimes.

18 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I also have a condo rented in CM. I wasn't gonna mention it because some here think they are genius' and they have all the answers and yes they have done repair work (new toilet) and not billed me.  Just depends on your lease agreement and I guess if you have a smart owner. You keep renters you take care of. You screw them you move out. They lose rent. 

1 hour ago, tifino said:

if I cop infestation, a positive outlook results in my goldfish getting an endless supply of bugs for their food...

in your case, i'd be profiting from the falling fruit... making and selling off the jam

besides with Insurance for a renter... you'd only be covered for 'Contents'

Come on over.  I'll split the profits.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Your "newish" condos may actually have been covered under some sort of warranty from the builder or developer.  Some of my friends have purchased condos in new buildings and repairs are carried out by the building developer during the first year or so.

It's really more common for tenants to take on the repair of minor things, especially if under 1000 baht.  The OP is going to spend more than that in consulting a lawyer about his "rights".  Frankly, I don't have the time or energy to hassle my owner with every little repair, like replacing a leaking faucet or blowing out the drain line of a dripping aircon unit, especially since I use autopay to transfer the rent payment from my account to his every month.  He gave us a good rate and long lease, so I know we're getting a good deal.

I agree. I also use autopay. I wouldn't hassle the owner for small stuff. 40k in upgrades and repairs on my end I don't consider small stuff in just one year but roof damage can be a huge problem. I'll know just how bad hopefully tomorrow. Only had to contact with a dozen folks so far. Three showed up. One did the tree (and damaged the roof because he was shorthanded).  So hopefully tomorrow I will know more. I'm sure my audience will be waiting with baited breath for my post.

27 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

Right but not cheap here. Actually a little above average. In a remote area.  So I appreciate the owner does not want to spend money for repairs except before I moved in they agreed to fix the dual gate which they did (comedy of errors. the guys had to come out three times to line up first the inside sprockets and then the outside sprockets. too funny for words. guess poor workmanship is thai culture as well).  They also agreed to fix two doors damaged by the previous renter (they did not fix either door).  And respectfully disagree that the owner doesn't care about all the improvements I made at my cost. I think maybe because of all the improvements (sealed the floors and walls, 8k for new electric, 8k drapes, paint, fixed the plumbing outside kitchen area, netted the entire kitchen in etc etc) as well as maintaining the place I think she just thinks because I invested so much fluck me I'll pay to do it myself. Pretty piss poor attitude if you ask me but this is Thailand and yeah she got me. Like someone said I do have a choice and it cost me 1500 so far for the trees and to get a tarp up there may cost me a couple thousand more so "logically" if I spent 40k in upgrades another 3-4k I'm gonna move out?  That would be "stupid"on my part.  Gotta assume she gambled and I lost but if I could sue her and win the she loses. Somebody out there in the drug haze just maybe gets my point. Or not. Like Melania said, Ï don't care".  And it's fun to debate with the witless folks sometimes.

Sorry but you are the only witless person here you have absolutely no idea about courts in Thailand and the costs of such plus duration. Almost everyone here posts against you and they are all witless. You should wonder more about yourself and the state of your wits.

If you feel this is a stressful (a leak in your roof) wait till you deal with the Thai courts and start pouring money in a court-case. That is far more stressful and time consuming then what you have gone through and already consider stressful. 

You have gotten good advice but because it did not agree with you you flamed everyone who came up with it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sorry but you are the only witless person here you have absolutely no idea about courts in Thailand and the costs of such plus duration. Almost everyone here posts against you and they are all witless. You should wonder more about yourself and the state of your wits.

If you feel this is a stressful (a leak in your roof) wait till you deal with the Thai courts and start pouring money in a court-case. That is far more stressful and time consuming then what you have gone through and already consider stressful. 

You have gotten good advice but because it did not agree with you you flamed everyone who came up with it. 

thanks for saying what so many of us think........i am sure OP will not do well here, but that is nothing new.  One more arrogant farang who will no doubt turn even more thais against us by their conduct.

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

From the OP - "as well as at least a 1000 man hours the last year in fixing up the house"

One year 365 days = 8,760 hours

8 hours a day, 5 days a week would require 25 weeks of solid work to attain 1000 hours.

Another genius at math.  I stand corrected. Maybe well over 1000 hours for 14 months living here so far.  I am retired. I like it here because I am a nature photographer and it is very difficult to find a house to rent so when I found it I took it and had to work very hard to make it a nice place. For example it is an old wood house with wood flooring which have gaps in it. Well, I like to photograph bugs but I don't want them in the house so at first I caulked the entire place. The caulk dried out and fell thru. I then used toilet paper thinking I would caulk over that and it would hold but the paper fell thru. Finally, I said fluck it I will tape over it. At first the tape I used was too wide so I pulled it all up and re did it with less wide tape. I then painted over it but I didn't use a primer so had to primer over the paint and then repaint it. This took two months to complete. I then sealed the walls with caulk and tape and newspapers.  I fixed all the screens. I fixed the refrigerator. I put in a new skylight. I painted the bathroom.  I painted the porch. (I had told the owner give me the paint and I will paint the whole place for free-not interested so yeah I did it anyway).  I built shelves for the closet and put in racks for clothes. I put in a custom rug for the floor. I sealed the ceiling in there.  I caulked around all ten windows in the house. I caulked around the entire ceiling borders. I fixed the outside kitchen. Plumbing a mess. Floor a mess. counters a mess. All new counters and painted the whole place. I installed all new electric.  I installed new drapes.  The grounds were full of garbage and junk and rotting wood. And tree branches everywhere ( about one rai).  I put tarps on the gates.  Many days worked over 8 hours.  It took a week to clean the whole interior of the house. I had to rewash it all three times.  The steps had mold on them.  A lot of the wood had mold.  The concrete floors between the main house and the kitchen needed work.  I netted in the whole kitchen including the ceiling. Took a month. I had to find an cut bamboo for support.  It goes on and on. The interior of the house looks great now. Paint, paintings,rugs, lighting. Yeah, when I move out somebody is gonna get a nice house albeit a leaky roof.  lol

Edited by KevinboyCM

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

Sage advice khun nancy.   unfortunately MANY of the newcomers have no desire to learn the ways of another culture.  They INSIST that the other culture understand why they as a farang are right.  That is why so many of their sentences begin with  " I just don't understand...."   and usually include the word stupid

in their rant.    ah yes,......." stupid is as stupid does ."    ( Forest ) 

Edited by rumak

25 minutes ago, rumak said:

thanks for saying what so many of us think........i am sure OP will not do well here, but that is nothing new.  One more arrogant farang who will no doubt turn even more thais against us by their conduct.

I am not saying the guy does not have a point because I do believe that owners are responsible for structural repairs. However the owner is unwilling to do so and a court case about something that will cost 5.000-10.000 is foolish as the whole case will cost more money and time with no guaranteed result as an outcome is just stupid. 

So the OP has a point that he feels the owner should fix it but realistically he just has to accept defeat or move out (something he does not want to do as he has invested too much already). Sometimes you just have to accept you can't change things and accept defeat.

Been here so long have learned to live with things as they are in Thailand. 

13 minutes ago, rumak said:

Sage advice khun nancy.   unfortunately MANY of the newcomers have no desire to learn the ways of another culture.  They INSIST that the other culture understand why they as a farang are right.  That is why so many of their sentences begin with  " I just don't understand...."   and usually include the word stupid

in their rant.    ah yes,......." stupid is as stupid does ."    ( Forest ) 

Again please explain to me why not protecting major damage to your home is NOT stupid wherever it is or whatever culture is involved. Are you suggesting that Thai culture doesn't care about protecting their valuables? Can't have it both ways can you? And yes, I do not understand that at all. And no one has explained that to me.  I doubt wealthy Thais would act the same way. I doubt they would be that stupid.

3 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

Yeah, I get it. Court may be a joke anyway but you gotta ask. I assume all those who say court is worthless have been to court and know firsthand/  A friend who lives here said he has been to court twice and won both times. He said an educated judge might see things differently than an idiot owner.

I have had a Thai friend go through court she is highly educated and the time it consumed and in the end the outcome was not desirable while it looked good at the onset. You will also have to have a translator and such and English speaking lawyers are not cheap. What can happen is the owner wont show, they can do that multiple days and that just means you lose time and lawyer cost. 

Even if you win who says they will have to pay your cost too or that the owner cant kick you out as the judge sees the situation as unlivable ? 

Are you willing to risk all the adverse outcomes and costs just to get your feeling of justice ? If so by all means do so but it will be stressful.

Personally I would fix the roof but you have to understand the more money you sink in here the more you can't go back later. (as you sunk in more money). You could also look for a new home and find yourself in the same situation. There are no guarantees here and that just sucks but that is the way how it is.

I have given up expecting justice here (even back home courts take forever and justice is not guaranteed). I just roll with it and not stress too much about stuff. 

Thai courts are not worthless you can win but in this case i doubt it is worth it.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I never said I was going to court dude.  I was inquiring only. Obviously, I might make a phone call and ask what are my chances. C'mon. Use some common sense. I am not gonna spend 5-10k to collect 4k just like I'm not gonna move out if I have to spend 3-4k after investing 40k.  I understand logic pretty well. Took many classes for my degree. Trust me I ain't that stupid although some you think I am. Don't worry about me. I actually built a huge home and was the GC; I retired at 50 with enough to live on the rest of my life and I owned my own business for 40 yrs.  It was just something I threw out there.  Some folks here don't comprehend much but I appreciate your concerns.

And I do not believe I have flamed anyone unlike a couple of you folk who suggest I need drugs or a visit to an insane asylum.  I simply respond to some of the comments many of which are in fact witless.  No one need respond. Who is forcing you to respond to me?  Get a grip. If yu can't take the reparte move on. I am bored tonight and this is my amusement.

Edited by KevinboyCM

7 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

I never said I was going to court dude.  I was inquiring only. Obviously, I might make a phone call and ask what are my chances. C'mon. Use some common sense. I am not gonna spend 5-10k to collect 4k just like I'm not gonna move out if I have to spend 3-4k after investing 40k.  I understand logic pretty well. Took many classes for my degree. Trust me I ain't that stupid although some you think I am. Don't worry about me. I actually built a huge home and was the GC; I retired at 50 with enough to live on the rest of my life and I owned my own business for 40 yrs.  It was just something I threw out there.  Some folks here don't comprehend much but I appreciate your concerns.

And I do not believe I have flamed anyone unlike a couple of you folk who suggest I need drugs or a visit to an insane asylum.  I simply respond to some of the comments many of which are in fact witless.  No one need respond. Who is forcing you to respond to me?  Get a grip. If yu can't take the reparte move on. I am bored tonight and this is my amusement.

You can make a phone call sure, but do you expect a lawyer to be honest or give you any guarantees ?.

You say you are so well off then why worry about the cost of fixing a roof ? You don't need that stress. You have to understand the more trouble you cause the more reason the owner has to end your rent at the end of the rental contract. Even if it cost him rent money face is important in this country.

Anyway seems you have become logical and are going to let someone fix the roof and pay for it yourself. The more you rock the boat the more chances you have that your contract will be terminated at the end of your lease and then you have lost it all.

I seen your answers and it surely looked if you flamed people and yes you got flamed too.  

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

You can make a phone call sure, but do you expect a lawyer to be honest or give you any guarantees ?.

You say you are so well off then why worry about the cost of fixing a roof ? You don't need that stress. You have to understand the more trouble you cause the more reason the owner has to end your rent at the end of the rental contract. Even if it cost him rent money face is important in this country.

Anyway seems you have become logical and are going to let someone fix the roof and pay for it yourself. The more you rock the boat the more chances you have that your contract will be terminated at the end of your lease and then you have lost it all.

I seen your answers and it surely looked if you flamed people and yes you got flamed too.  

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Some folks have principles and some don't. And just because I am fortunate enough to have retired at 50 doesn't mean I like getting ripped off or cheated. Some people are losers and they have to accept getting flucked over here. I signed a lease. I have honored it. I expect to honor it. I have invested a lot of money to upgrade the place. I did it yes for my enjoyment but any astute owner would surely appreciate a renter who pays his rent on time and makes an investment with his own money and keeps the place looking nice one would think.  If Thais are so worried about saving 'face' why do they rip off the foreigners so much?  I am not a newbie. Been here over 15 yrs but never rented a house.  I get the nickle dime crap. I get they never show up on time or even at all. I get they overcharge you. I get all that. I don't get not wanting to protect your house. Beyond my comprehension.  

So if the tree falls on the house and destroys the whole roof I am expected to repair it?  And if I moved out wouldn't I be breaking the lease?  Gee, do you think they would give me my deposit back?  Anyway, like I said nothing to do tonight. So wasting my time here. Why, I don't know. I wish everyone would stop responding. lol But it is just my nature to respond to witless posts. 

Yeah and as stated have taken many logic classes and done a lot of debating. I doubt any universities here have a debate club as logic does not appear to be anywhere in sight in the Land of S.

Edited by KevinboyCM

OK, Kevin if you want to consult a Thai law firm there is one in Chiang Mai with English speaking lawyers as partners -- Lanna Lawyers.  Use Google.  They charge 4000 baht an hour if you need to use their native English speaking lawyers.  

It's time to get real.

The only time you'd hire them is for something serious like to do your Final Will or Power of Attorney, not to get your landlord to pay 1500 baht to trim the tree.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KevinboyCM said:

Some folks have principles and some don't. And just because I am fortunate enough to have retired at 50 doesn't mean I like getting ripped off or cheated. Some people are losers and they have to accept getting flucked over here. I signed a lease. I have honored it. I expect to honor it. I have invested a lot of money to upgrade the place. I did it yes for my enjoyment but any astute owner would surely appreciate a renter who pays his rent on time and makes an investment with his own money and keeps the place looking nice one would think.  If Thais are so worried about saving 'face' why do they rip off the foreigners so much?  I am not a newbie. Been here over 15 yrs but never rented a house.  I get the nickle dime crap. I get they never show up on time or even at all. I get they overcharge you. I get all that. I don't get not wanting to protect your house. Beyond my comprehension.  

So if the tree falls on the house and destroys the whole roof I am expected to repair it?  And if I moved out wouldn't I be breaking the lease?  Gee, do you think they would give me my deposit back?  Anyway, like I said nothing to do tonight. So wasting my time here. Why, I don't know. I wish everyone would stop responding. lol But it is just my nature to respond to witless posts. 

Yeah and as stated have taken many logic classes and done a lot of debating. I doubt any universities here have a debate club as logic does not appear to be anywhere in sight in the Land of S.

Reads like you settled in the wrong country mon ami...????...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

You need to learn some manners, Nancy is a very well respected lady on here. 

She has only tried to help you, yet you mock her.....Shame on you.

"Learn some manners"?  haha.  I ask for specific advice and I get garbage or no relevant answer. Or I get told to take my meds and go see an insane asylum. Where was  your post to them sir?

There have been well over 100 posts here and Nancy left a nice post BUT she is apparently not paying attention when she states I am going spend 5-10k for a 1500 tree expense. I never said that ANYWHERE.  Show me where I said that?  I'll say it one more time for those who are posting while drunk here.  I would only go to an attorney to ask advice if I thought I could win.  And win what?

I have to fix the roof. I have to pay for it because clearly the nut job owner doesn't care about the damage or getting further damage from rain.  So the question would be to the attorney, A) can I sue to get my money back and/or B) can I sue to make her replace the whole roof if the roof expert says there is severe damage.  And even if he said I would win it would depend on the upfront costs.  Why does anyone here think I or anyone else would upfront an attorney 10k? Nancy as nice as she is failed to mention I was also including those two points which I have repeatedly made.  Now you can go back to your booze.

Edited by KevinboyCM

Just now, KevinboyCM said:

"Learn some manners"?  haha.  I ask for specific advice and I get garbage or no relevant answer. Or I get told to take my meds and go see an insane asylum. Where was  your post to them sir?

There have been well over 100 posts here and Nancy left a nice post BUT she is apparently not paying attention when she states I am going spend 5-10k for a 1500 tree expense. I never said that ANYWHERE.  Show me where I said that?  I'll say it one more time for those who are posting while drunk here.  I would only go to an attorney to ask advice if I thought I could win.  And win what?

I have to fix the roof. I have to pay for it because clearly the nut job owner doesn't care about the damage or getting further damage from rain.  So the question would be to the attorney, A) can I sue to get my money back and/or B) can I sue to make her replace the whole roof if the roof expert says there is severe damage.  Nancy as nice as she is failed to mention I was also including those two points which I have repeatedly made.  Now you can go back to your booze.

Only 1 nut job, and clearly not the owner.

Also stop with the stupid comment go back to your booze, crazy thing to say to a non -drinker.