Damaged roof

KevinboyCM

So I signed a three year lease a year ago. It's an old wood house. There is a huge, tall fruit tree now dropping fruit the size of a small tomato. Probably a dozen or so at night. Sounds like a bomb hitting the roof but last night the damage caused a leak. Water all over my closet area.  I told the landlord a year ago the tree needs pruning. She jerked me around for 5 months and I found someone to prune it. Cost was very cheap: 500 baht which I deducted from the rent and nothing happened.  

Now, I told her over a month ago to get it done again. She told me to do it then the next day she said the owner said she doesn't want to spend any money to fix the house up and I should move if I don't like it.

I have spent 40k in upgrading the house as well as at least a 1000 man hours the last year in fixing up the house PLUS I live in an area because I am a wildlife photog.

So far 24 hrs later no response at all from the landlady and three thais who were to come over have not showed up. (Typical).

My question is although I have no choice but to cut the tree down or prune it again can she kick me out for deducting the repair?  Can I sue to have her repair the roof?  For now I am just trying to get a tarp over it.

This is of course the same fool who when I offered to paint the whole house if she would supply the paint said no.  

30 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

I have spent 40k in upgrading the house as well as at least a 1000 man hours the last year in fixing up the house PLUS I live in an area because I am a wildlife photog.

Should have spent the money/time on the tree and roof.

Edited by BritManToo

9 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

I did include plumbing and electric in my lease as something the owner is responsible for. I guess I never thought I needed to add structural damage.  Is it typical here for owners to be that dumb not to want to protect their property?

Absolutely, once you've moved in they consider it your problem.

When a Thai tenant can't stand the state of the structure any more, he repairs it himself or moves out.

10 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

Perhaps you are right. That is why I was asking the genius' here such as yourself (obviously) for a constructive answer to the problem. Perhaps if your personal belonging got destroyed by water damage you might be more inclined to be helpful-but knowing you probably not. You are amusing but not helpful. 

An old saying, "give them an inch and they will take a yard".....

In LOS the saying fits perfectly...☺️

25 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

Perhaps if your personal belonging got destroyed by water damage you might be more inclined to be helpful-but knowing you probably not.

This is what renters insurance is for amongst other stuff (like repairing the damaged roof possibly).

Just make a claim.

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This is what renters insurance is for amongst other stuff (like repairing the damaged roof possibly).

Just make a claim.

Yeah good idea if I had insurance which the insurance company here probably wouldn't pay off anyway.  As regarding making a claim for the roof damage surely you jest. I am not the owner of the house. And have no idea if they have insurance or not which I doubt.  

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

What's the monthly rent amount?

Did you pay 1 month or 2 months deposit (plus the first month rent) when you moved in)?

I live in a remote area up north. 3500/mo and I paid one month deposit. I live here because I love the area. And again, I fixed the house up with my money.  I painted some; bought drapes, had all new electric put in, fixed up the kitchen area, sealed the whole house etc etc. I do not want to move out ?  lol

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

Kevinboy,nobody can decide for you what to do.

How much damage was done to your belongings?

How much would it cost to replace a few rooftiles or a roofing sheet?

How much do you like to live there?

It is a question of plusses and minusses, only you can tally them.

Good luck deciding what to do.

I think some miss the point. I have had three Thais so far not show up to cut the tree down or fix the roof.  The tree or at least the branches hanging over the roof must get cut down.  Second, I do not know how much roof damage there is. One needs to get up there to look. I would be afraid to go myself as the roof is old.  

In the West there would be no doubt that the OWNER not a renter would be liable to get it fixed. Here, it appears a renter is SOL.  So I guess my question is do renters have any rights here in this land of scams?  Are or we just screwed?

And if so why does one even need a lease if the owners don't have to honor them here?

Edited by KevinboyCM

2 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

I think some miss the point. I have had three Thais so far not show up to cut the tree down or fix the roof.  The tree or at least the branches hanging over the roof must get cut down.  Second, I do not know how much roof damage there is. One needs to get up there to look. I would be afraid to go myself as the roof is old.  

In the West there would be no doubt that the OWNER not a renter would be liable to get it fixed. Here, it appears a renter is SOL.  So I guess my question is do renters have any rights here in this land of scams?  Are or we just screwed?

And if so why does one even need a lease if the owners don't have to honor them here?

I know what you are saying but this is not the west,the fact is you already had a run in with your landlord and you know her reaction.I you like  living there you may have to spend some money.Three Thais not showing up is nothing new,they may show up tomorrow.Are you paying a lot of rent?

In the end it is you who must decide hoe far you want to take this.

So you need to trim a tree.  Last time it cost 500 Baht which you did not have to pay.  Really no big deal even if you had to pay.  This time might cost more but don't know so why bitch about it untill you know.

Roof needs repair but do not know how much because have not looked at it.  Again why make a big deal about it until you really know it is big money.  Perhaps it is another 500 Baht project.

You have no rights and your lease means very little.  What you can work out with your landlord is what matters.  You are off to a good start on that.

15 hours ago, KevinboyCM said:

It would help if you actually read the whole post first before suggesting the obvious.  Just curious are you Thai?

No. But you seriously asked if you could sue someone here ? The person who owns the house you are renting ?

Hence the 555

FYI the number 5 in Thai is pronounced Ha - so 555 = Ha Ha Ha

Edited by canthai55

17 hours ago, KevinboyCM said:

I live in a remote area up north. 3500/mo and I paid one month deposit. I live here because I love the area. And again, I fixed the house up with my money.  I painted some; bought drapes, had all new electric put in, fixed up the kitchen area, sealed the whole house etc etc. I do not want to move out ?  lol

Kevin, you've got a bargain and you're smart to make it want you want.  I just hope you signed a long lease so that your owner doesn't come in at the end of the lease, see how nice you've made it and then decide it's worth more than 3500/month.

This is exactly what we've done with a couple of places -- sign a long lease at a good rate and put money into making it what we want, knowing full well we'll have to leave the improvements behind when we leave.  Life is too short to put up with a substandard kitchen, lack of storage, no hot water, etc.

42 minutes ago, DLock said:

You pay 3,500 baht a month. Bargain.

It costs 500 baht to trim a tree. Bargain.

You have spent considerable money fixing it and don't want to move.

The Owner has made her position clear.

A few Thai guys haven't turned up.

The scenarios would appear clear cut....but I'll spell it out.

Find a Somchai to cut the tree down. Find another Somchai to fix the roof. Deduct from the rent as per last time. Stay there.

I think as a renter, if you start getting work done on a property and

withholding rent without the owners permission, you're pretty much asking for trouble TBH.

8 hours ago, Will27 said:

I think as a renter, if you start getting work done on a property and

withholding rent without the owners permission, you're pretty much asking for trouble TBH.

Ok so 3500 is not a bargain where I live. It's the going rate maybe even slightly high.  Second, I had the tree trimmed today. Cost 1500 baht. Quite a bit of work for three folks.  Took 5 hours. 

Hundreds of fruit pieces on the tree which was over 35 feet up. How these guys climb like that is beyond me. At any rate so now I need to get a tarp up there or have the roof fixed. Hopefully it won't rain but at least no more roof damage from the fruit.

The landlady finally after four days sent me an sms that the owner does not want to fix the roof. I told her I can't believe how someone could be that stupid.  

Yeah so last month the water pump broke and I had it fixed for 750 baht and deducted from the rent and the landlady says I can't do that even though "plumbing" is covered in the lease.

So ok, the question is to deduct the bill from next month's rent or let it go.  In the mean time it is quite clear that these folks think I'm gonna pay for a new roof I guess.  

I don't want to move for reasons stated and I had no choice but to cut the trees but structural damage? What BS.  

Even if I wanted to move am I supposed to watch the water run in to the house and damage all my stuff? Flucking ridiculous.

So, anyone know any good lawyers? I guess I need to talk to one to see what my options are.  I intend to deduct the bill from next month's rent but don't want a chain on the door. What do you all think? Thanks for any thoughtful replies.

Edited by KevinboyCM

10 hours ago, NancyL said:

Kevin, you've got a bargain and you're smart to make it want you want.  I just hope you signed a long lease so that your owner doesn't come in at the end of the lease, see how nice you've made it and then decide it's worth more than 3500/month.

This is exactly what we've done with a couple of places -- sign a long lease at a good rate and put money into making it what we want, knowing full well we'll have to leave the improvements behind when we leave.  Life is too short to put up with a substandard kitchen, lack of storage, no hot water, etc.

I hear ya. I signed a three year lease. A friend of mine told me not to mention I have done any work or they will jack up the renewal. Hey, I am not bitching I paid 8k for drapes or 6k for new lighting etc etc but to pay for the trees causing the roof damage or pay for the roof is just not right.  I warned the landlord last year the roof will be damaged.  

12 hours ago, cmsally said:

Contact the local Or Bor Tor, they will most likely have someone to do both the tree and roof.

i think you have advised that before.  A lot of these posters do not know what Or bor tor is  . or tesabahn.

But good advice if they do know, or can find out from someone.   Next thing is to advise them to go in looking respectable and talking nicely ( Is there someone who can help me with a problem i have?)  

Of course asking the price beforehand is a good idea too.  When you get that "up to you" answer its a real

drag.   But inexperienced farangs really should pin down a price,

EDIT :  sure enough and young KB asks : What is "Bor Tor"?

pretty sure his "conversations" with the agent or landlord are in BWANA english.  Using the word stupid shows his lack of communication skills.  Not uncommon .  

And his response to my comments I am sure will not be " thanks for pointing those things out"   .  Almost definitely will be that I am missing the point

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Not stupid at all.  They want you gone, quite understandably so.

Haha. Maybe someone can explain to me how NOT protecting your house when warned is not stupid?  It's beyond my comprehension.  If that tree was not cut down the whole roof would have holes in it.  Any normal person would cut the tree down instantly.  She doesn't want me gone. She wants me to pay for the roof repair. Four days ago I sent the landlord a message simply: emergency.  roof damaged and water pouring in to the closet area. please help.  Answer four days later:  owner does not want to fix it. If you don't like it move.  

I already spent 40k in one year to fix up the place. So yeah, am kinda pissed that the landlord didn't even care the house was getting rained it or my stuff was damaged or didn't give a damn to at least find me someone to throw a tarp up there. 

So, yeah I need to know if this is the way a foreigner can be treated here or do I have the right to expect the owner who was negligent to pay for the repair. Simple as that.

Edited by KevinboyCM

12 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

Answer four days later:  owner does not want to fix it. If you don't like it move. 

There - you have your answer.

You will get nowhere - just throw more money after more money - going the lawyer route.

His House - His Rules. As any lawyer, court of law ... anyone here will tell you.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 7:16 PM, Dante99 said:

So you need to trim a tree.  Last time it cost 500 Baht which you did not have to pay.  Really no big deal even if you had to pay.  This time might cost more but don't know so why bitch about it untill you know.

Roof needs repair but do not know how much because have not looked at it.  Again why make a big deal about it until you really know it is big money.  Perhaps it is another 500 Baht project.

You have no rights and your lease means very little.  What you can work out with your landlord is what matters.  You are off to a good start on that.

Dante, you miss the whole point. I had an emergency. I sent an sms to the landlord. No response for four days. I know no one here. I just wanted help. I immediately started asking neighbors for anyone who could either cut the tree (major pruning) or get on the roof. 

Good to know we have no rights in Tland. Amazing Tland. Good to know not to expect any help from an owner or landlord in an emergency. Good to know some owners don't care about their home getting ruined while it could be avoided.  As you state may be not too expensive.  So instead of paying maybe a couple thousand baht the house is destroyed. Makes total sense to me.  Gotta love folks like that.

Edited by KevinboyCM