10 baht gold necklace price?

shootrrdave

The Gold Traders Association on Friday morning announced buying prices at 18,859.04 baht per baht-weight for gold ornaments and 19,200.00 baht per baht-weight for gold bars.

Selling prices were set at 19,800.00 baht per baht-weight for gold ornaments, and 19,300.00 baht per baht-weight for gold bars.

Is the 19,800 number the one for me? I have committed to 10 baht of gold as part of my Sin Sod payment and she wants a necklace as opposed to bars. So am I looking at 198,000 or will there perhaps be some discount for a larger purchase? Or does it vary between shops and I should use my feet for the best deal?

Please no Sin Sod comments. I read all those threads already...????

Edited by CharlieH
Link removed as per forum rules.

No sin sot comments....hmmmmmmm

No don't get married comments.....hmmmmmm

No jokes or sarcasm......hmmmmmm

How about go to 3 different gold shops and ask the price ?   might be a little more accurate than replies on a forum.    ( am i allowed to suggest that )

good luck !

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

Buy it for her because you want to, NOT because it is demanded or expected.

If it is the former then good luck. If it is the latter, then you maybe need to reconsider what direction you are going in and where it will end up.

Sorry, I know you said not to, but it's important that I tell you.

Either way ............. the best of luck. ????

Edited by thequietman

Ok, for those who just can't help themselves...

The Sin Sod is 200k cash and 10 baht gold. I negotiated that down from a much larger number and also arranged for the new wife to keep the gold instead of her mother. I am satisfied with this and am happy to proceed on the path to (hopeful) marital bliss.

Just looking for general advice on the process of the gold purchase itself.

• Like 1

It's gonna be pretty constant amongst most gold shops mate. My only suggestion is maybe think about 2x 5 baht gold necklaces. Seen quite a few 5 baht chains around, got one myself, but I'm guessing a 10 baht chain will probably be a custom job and therefore will cost you a bit extra anywhere between 1 and 5 thousand baht per baht, depending on how well you know the Gold shop the intricacy of the piece and whether they want to try and rob you or not.

I agree with you Starky that a couple of smaller chains would be more practical, especially when/if she ever needs to resell them. 

Even better in my opinion would be bars. Less markup so less potential loss at the resell. But she has already expressed her desire for a necklace and I will leave the choice up to her. Thankfully her tastes run toward the simpler pieces. At least they have the two times I have bought her something in the past.

I have also already made it clear that she has 200,000 baht for a budget. She can get 10 baht for that price with a little leeway for the style if she keeps it simple. 

Why not take her to the shop she likes and let her pick what she wants?

At 200k does a few thousand Baht make much of a difference one way or another? What’s important is that she loves it.

After she picks out what she wants, spend another 10k and buy her some nice earrings to go with...

• Like 1

Hi Mogendave, perhaps I wasn't clear. This is exactly what we will do. 

Well then not much point in worrying about the price, as it is pretty much set.

It’s been my experience the Chinese shops will “negotiate”, but only a very small amount, it is more a cultural thing than a real discount.

Time to get a safe deposit box...

On 12/14/2018 at 10:26 PM, rumak said:

No sin sot comments....hmmmmmmm

No don't get married comments.....hmmmmmm

No jokes or sarcasm......hmmmmmm

How about go to 3 different gold shops and ask the price ?   might be a little more accurate than replies on a forum.    ( am i allowed to suggest that )

good luck !

"( am i allowed to suggest that )"   You just did !

10 Baht gold necklace.

Mmmm. A few points.

Would she ever dare wear it in public?

Is she a black gangsta rap artist?

Once known she possesses such a monstrosity, it's like putting her in a cross hairs target.

My missus was given a matching beautiful necklace/bracelet of HEAVY Kuwaiti (Arab) gold by my mother as a gift, that was her mother's (my deceased grandmother).

It is very beautiful.

It is very heavy.

It is very valuable.

It never sees the light of day.

Very few people even know my missus owns it.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, mogandave said:

Well then not much point in worrying about the price, as it is pretty much set.

It’s been my experience the Chinese shops will “negotiate”, but only a very small amount, it is more a cultural thing than a real discount.

Time to get a safe deposit box...

No need for a safe deposit box, it will be perfectly safe in the pawn shop.

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

I haven’t pawned anything since 1978 (a Sabre 665 & and a Penn 500) and I doubt my wife ever has.

Pawning is so last season, nowadays everything sells directly via the interwebs :w00t:

On topic; I tried to suggest a matching earring-necklace-bracelet-combo with 18K gold with a few stones - missus insisted on thai gold, no stones, but adjacent buy for mae for anklet and earrings ????