Cholesterol Check

offset

I had 2 health checks over a 3 day period and there was an overlap of the Cholesterol check but I got a different reading for my LDL the first one was 159 with a range of not over 130 the second was 122 with a range of 0-130 all the other results were the same they were taken at different hospitals should there be such a big difference over just 3 days

Nothing like getting a second opinion eh? I would not 100% trust ANY health checks, they even got my height wrong once. And as for blood pressure readings....forget it. They took mine as I started the check, after a stressful drive. 160/90. 10 minutes later 138/84, and after my free cup of coffee back up to 150 ish. I do myself twice a day, average is 129/78.

I would go for the 122 cholesterol reading, but if you kick it cos of high c, sue them ! Cheers.

LDL measurement can be direct or indirect and this might be a factor. Especvially true if your triglycerides are comparatively low..

What you ate shortly before each test could also have an effect but unless you ate something really dripping with fat I would nto expect it to make that big a one.

Lab test results are usually OK. It is the measurements taken by the staff (weight, height, BPO etc) that are often flawed. 

I never allow them to take my Blood pressure at a hospital unless they let me sit quiet with the cuff on for at least 5 minutes.

Blood pressure should always be taken at rest I do mine at home before any hospital visit and take a picture on my phone and show that to them they normal take that has the  reading

The only problem of letting them take you blood pressure is that the Insurance companies take this as gospel and give you an exclusion of Hyperlipidemia and all problems caused by it which as happen to me

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

LDL measurement can be direct or indirect and this might be a factor. Especvially true if your triglycerides are comparatively low..

What you ate shortly before each test could also have an effect but unless you ate something really dripping with fat I would nto expect it to make that big a one.

Lab test results are usually OK. It is the measurements taken by the staff (weight, height, BPO etc) that are often flawed. 

Both were taken after not eating or drinking (only a little water) for 12 hours so I am not sure that the food I ate would change the results that much

54 minutes ago, offset said:

Both were taken after not eating or drinking (only a little water) for 12 hours so I am not sure that the food I ate would change the results that much

Food taken in prior 1-2 days, if exceptionally fatty, can raise values

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You do not need to  go on a special diet, eat as you normally do. Just avoid unusual binges of extra fatty things (i,.e. day before test is not  the time to go all out on  a pepperoni pizza).

Funny you should say that because that is what i ate 36 hours before  the test

I would go further than Sheryl and claim that you can influence your LDL reading quite dramatically depending on what you eat in the three days before the test. 

High cholesterol levels are a symptom of problems, not causes.

I had tests to show high in Oz but after reading the newest research that's going on i'm not afraid of it and have passed on meds.

In particular I'm interested in the 3Rd new type of cholesterol. 

But then again I also am not afraid of dying early due to natural causes. 

6 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I had tests to show high in Oz but after reading the newest research that's going on i'm not afraid of it and have passed on meds.

Hang on there, before I agree with you....  dying is one thing, some of us have families to look after.

Being a slobbering idiot in a wheelchair is another.

Third type? you mean triglycerides? There are many kinds of cholesterol produced by the body, I believe that the trigs are just carriers of LDls, HDLs and others.

I too gave up on my blood pressure meds two months ago, at the time I was given statins, which I decided never to touch. Blood pressure now below 120 (age 70) trigs up, other cholesterols down, blood sugar down. running a mile a day, lost 10% body fat, diet did it.

Things will change radically in the medical profession in the next 10 years or so in regards to cardio-vascular diseases which includes diabetes and maybe even Alzheimer's. 

75% of people having heart attacks or strokes have normal or low cholesterol levels.

34 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Dying early is okay ... sitting slumped in a wheel chair with a hosepipe stuffed up your nose is another matter though .... 

Archived