Jump to content

Oil free deep fryer


janclaes47

Recommended Posts

I have a deep fryer ( with oil ) I brought from Europe years ago, as i like my french fries once a week.

 

I'm very satisfied with it, wasn't it the cleaning of the fryer and surroundings.

 

It's the type with the smokeless lid and can be taken completely apart, but after making fries 4 -5 times, it's still a hard job to clean the sticky mess.

 

I don't use it for anything else than french fries.

 

When in Europe few months ago I considered bringing a new one over, but these days it is almost impossible to find one that uses oil.

 

So I would like to ask members that use such an oil free fryer, do the french fries really taste the same as if fried in oil?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really but you do only use a spoonful of oil for each Batch.Do some research and see how easy each air fryer is to clean and with some you don't have to shake the chips in the basket/tray at all.They are not so cheap and some are high wattage.The advantage for me is that I don't have a smelly deep fat fryer in my flat and I don't cook in used oil.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get deep fryers in Makro.1200b

 

The "air fryers" are basically mini fan ovens, they take a little getting used to but do a decent job if you lightly spray the fries with oil and dont forget to toss half-way through.

Screenshot_20181222-073250_Lazada.jpg

Screenshot_20181222-073356_Lazada.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

Frying pan...

My wife, clever girl, makes excellent fries in a frying pan using lard. The only problem I have is that there are potatoes that really aren't suitable for making fries and that seems to be what they mostly sell in Thailand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

My wife, clever girl, makes excellent fries in a frying pan using lard. The only problem I have is that there are potatoes that really aren't suitable for making fries and that seems to be what they mostly sell in Thailand.

Always got good ones from Makro.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Always got good ones from Makro.

That's where I buy. My mother knew the names of at least five different potatoes (some of them done away now by EU regulations), all of them good for something different... hash browns, fries, mashed potatoes, etc

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Always got good ones from Makro.

Yeah, we also get our chips from Makro (Farm-Frites - 3 sizes available, shoestring, straight-cut and steak), easy peasy. Madam cooks them in her wok on the charcoal burner, excellent!

 

I did try air-fried chips once (in store demo), they were, er, "non-optimal". But since the clean up from the wok is minimal (empty the oil back into the bottle, wipe the wok) Madam has never had a desire for one (her desire for gold never deminishes mind).

 

For use once a week, I'd just use a frying pan.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, we also get our chips from Makro (Farm-Frites - 3 sizes available, shoestring, straight-cut and steak), easy peasy. Madam cooks them in her wok on the charcoal burner, excellent!

 

I did try air-fried chips once (in store demo), they were, er, "non-optimal". But since the clean up from the wok is minimal (empty the oil back into the bottle, wipe the wok) Madam has never had a desire for one (her desire for gold never deminishes mind).

 

For use once a week, I'd just use a frying pan.

 

I have a wok with a lid, just leave the oil in and the lid keeps the creatures out.

Also a Makro chip shopper, but the price goes up and down like a yo-yo, one week 125bht/2kg next week 99bht/2kg.

I always buy a couple of bags when 99bht to keep in the freezer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I have a wok with a lid, just leave the oil in and the lid keeps the creatures out.

Also a Makro chip shopper, but the price goes up and down like a yo-yo, one week 125bht/2kg next week 99bht/2kg.

I always buy a couple of bags when 99bht to keep in the freezer.

Buy by the box, not bags, for the freezer and save a hit more ! 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

For use once a week, I'd just use a frying pan.

 

 

My deep fryer with closed lid as I can use it in the storage, while a fry pan I need to use the kitchen, which involves cleaning the whole kitchen afterwards I'm afraid.

 

Below is the deep fryer i use now.

 

image.png.b0ac1720d15fae32957a797f6e029f29.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

To get the temp right, put the fire on high & just watch the surface of the oil until it starts to “shimmer”, then throw in the chips. When the temp gets back up to a hard fry, turn the fire down to med.

The surface of the oil shimmers right before it starts to smoke....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try this way, Peel potato slice into chips or small roast potato size, then put in cold water and bring to boil, When it boils leave in for 3 mins then turn off and allow to soak for 5 mins, drain and put into the fryer, You will have great British chips or roast spuds. crispy on the outside and fluffy, or creamy on the inside. Depend on potluck of the spuds you buy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The cheap, crappy looking “sweet potatoes” they have here bake up nice and make great great chips.

It is interesting that sweet potatoes are actually healthier than regular potatoes if you care about that...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use one of these mini fan ovens for almost everything from making bread to roasts.

To cook chips I just put a few spoonfuls of oil and a pinch of salt and cook on high,  tossing occasionally. They come out golden brown and have that slightly oily taste and feel that chips need. 

A "home worth" brand from Makro from memory. 8 years old and still going strong. 

Edit. Sorry for bumping a week old thread but currently cooking chips for the kids and it triggered my memory. 

IMG_20181228_153621.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2018 at 7:29 AM, CharlieH said:

You can get deep fryers in Makro.1200b

 

The "air fryers" are basically mini fan ovens, they take a little getting used to but do a decent job if you lightly spray the fries with oil and dont forget to toss half-way through.

 

Screenshot_20181222-073356_Lazada.jpg

Do you really have to toss halfway through,a bit inconvinient in the kitchen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...