Oil free deep fryer

janclaes47

I have a deep fryer ( with oil ) I brought from Europe years ago, as i like my french fries once a week.

I'm very satisfied with it, wasn't it the cleaning of the fryer and surroundings.

It's the type with the smokeless lid and can be taken completely apart, but after making fries 4 -5 times, it's still a hard job to clean the sticky mess.

I don't use it for anything else than french fries.

When in Europe few months ago I considered bringing a new one over, but these days it is almost impossible to find one that uses oil.

So I would like to ask members that use such an oil free fryer, do the french fries really taste the same as if fried in oil?

Not really but you do only use a spoonful of oil for each Batch.Do some research and see how easy each air fryer is to clean and with some you don't have to shake the chips in the basket/tray at all.They are not so cheap and some are high wattage.The advantage for me is that I don't have a smelly deep fat fryer in my flat and I don't cook in used oil.

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

Frying pan...

My wife, clever girl, makes excellent fries in a frying pan using lard. The only problem I have is that there are potatoes that really aren't suitable for making fries and that seems to be what they mostly sell in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

My wife, clever girl, makes excellent fries in a frying pan using lard. The only problem I have is that there are potatoes that really aren't suitable for making fries and that seems to be what they mostly sell in Thailand.

Always got good ones from Makro.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Always got good ones from Makro.

That's where I buy. My mother knew the names of at least five different potatoes (some of them done away now by EU regulations), all of them good for something different... hash browns, fries, mashed potatoes, etc

47 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, we also get our chips from Makro (Farm-Frites - 3 sizes available, shoestring, straight-cut and steak), easy peasy. Madam cooks them in her wok on the charcoal burner, excellent!

I did try air-fried chips once (in store demo), they were, er, "non-optimal". But since the clean up from the wok is minimal (empty the oil back into the bottle, wipe the wok) Madam has never had a desire for one (her desire for gold never deminishes mind).

For use once a week, I'd just use a frying pan.

I have a wok with a lid, just leave the oil in and the lid keeps the creatures out.

Also a Makro chip shopper, but the price goes up and down like a yo-yo, one week 125bht/2kg next week 99bht/2kg.

I always buy a couple of bags when 99bht to keep in the freezer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I have a wok with a lid, just leave the oil in and the lid keeps the creatures out.

Also a Makro chip shopper, but the price goes up and down like a yo-yo, one week 125bht/2kg next week 99bht/2kg.

I always buy a couple of bags when 99bht to keep in the freezer.

Buy by the box, not bags, for the freezer and save a hit more ! ????

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

For use once a week, I'd just use a frying pan.

My deep fryer with closed lid as I can use it in the storage, while a fry pan I need to use the kitchen, which involves cleaning the whole kitchen afterwards I'm afraid.

Below is the deep fryer i use now.

image.png.b0ac1720d15fae32957a797f6e029f29.png

To get the temp right, put the fire on high & just watch the surface of the oil until it starts to “shimmer”, then throw in the chips. When the temp gets back up to a hard fry, turn the fire down to med.

The surface of the oil shimmers right before it starts to smoke....

I use one of these mini fan ovens for almost everything from making bread to roasts.

To cook chips I just put a few spoonfuls of oil and a pinch of salt and cook on high,  tossing occasionally. They come out golden brown and have that slightly oily taste and feel that chips need. 

A "home worth" brand from Makro from memory. 8 years old and still going strong. 

Edit. Sorry for bumping a week old thread but currently cooking chips for the kids and it triggered my memory. 

IMG_20181228_153621.jpg

Edited by sipi
  • Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 7:29 AM, CharlieH said:

You can get deep fryers in Makro.1200b

The "air fryers" are basically mini fan ovens, they take a little getting used to but do a decent job if you lightly spray the fries with oil and dont forget to toss half-way through.

Screenshot_20181222-073356_Lazada.jpg

Do you really have to toss halfway through,a bit inconvinient in the kitchen.

• Haha 1