Where is everybody? Patong businesses suffering worst high season in 10 years

rooster59

42 minutes ago, ThaiSauce said:

Music to my ears.  Hopefully no tourists come, not even one.  I think the locals need a hard reality check so they can have a moment of clarity. 

Now stop that - you are thinking all logical again. The chances of connecting the dots and having a rethink are nil.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

Everyone I talk to says they are fed up being ripped off with high bar prices, there are areas in Pattaya that are the same although some of the busy bars are starting to realise and have actually reduced prices down from what they were last year, bar owners need to ask themselves - would they rather have a busy bar selling hundreds of beers at 60baht or an empty bar selling one beer an hour at 120baht :post-4641-1156694572:  

But, but,...the Thai way is if something is not selling then best increase the price! Oh and seem to be plenty of rooms available in Pattaya.

• Thanks 1

The thing is you can cruise the islands of Thailand and Malaysia, keep on going if you wish, Indo, South Africa, or just hang out at the islands, you want a bar, just put in somewhere and go to one. A lot of folks go to Phuket for the Diving. You can have Patong. When I go I stay Chalong. Going this R&R for a about a week. Then who knows

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So TAT says things are really good, while business owners say it is awful. Well, I know who I believe.

Looks like TAT is obsessed with Chinese. The biss owners cannot make any money out of the Chinese, they need spenders which apparently are not much around.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

Everyone I talk to says they are fed up being ripped off with high bar prices, there are areas in Pattaya that are the same although some of the busy bars are starting to realise and have actually reduced prices down from what they were last year, bar owners need to ask themselves - would they rather have a busy bar selling hundreds of beers at 60baht or an empty bar selling one beer an hour at 120baht :post-4641-1156694572:  

Sounds like they are learning Business 101. Now there is opportunity in Phuket for some of these people who are actually cracking the code on how to run a business.

Times have changed.  Social media will kill off the bar fine and old school monger scenario.  The next generation of adventures, have the world at their finger tips, and it's cheap.  Thailand (TAT) has to wake up, and fast.  It's dependency on their inexpensive young ladies on their backs, has peaked.   Next gen travelers can find a beach and party destination in about 30 seconds.  Another Wat, a dirty beach, overpriced tourist areas, the same international vendors/products in malls?   I like Thailand, but TAT requires a re-calibration.   There's no bouncing back and forth behind a corrupt "3rd world sex tourism destination" and a safe, clean "family destination" tag.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ReMarKable said:

I should bitch about something related to Thailand and fit in, but sadly I cannot.

I got a mail shot from Agoda a day or so ago and it claims that 47% of rooms in pattaya are booked already! for my trip in January/February,Have seen some good prices and will have a good look around when I get there.I know it's nothing to do with Phuket but any silver lining these days!

• Like 1