With no deal, U.S. government shutdown likely to drag on past Christmas

rooster59

23 minutes ago, farcanell said:

???????????????? and yet....

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article152402734.html

or more yetis.... y’all believe in yetis, right?

https://aplus.com/a/border-wall-mexico-texas-arizona-california-new-mexico?no_monetization=true

damn that readin’ an’ writin’ stuff... who’d a thunk it, right?

I suppose if I lived right next to a big ugly wall I wouldn't like it either and if a Fort Worth newspaper finds people that don't want the wall so be it. I can only speak for myself and the people I know that I would like to see the wall built. It doesn't have to be a big ugly thing, but sufficient enough to do the job.  I wouldn't like to live next door to a prison either, but if I did I would be grateful for the large walls.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I suppose if I lived right next to a big ugly wall I wouldn't like it either and if a Fort Worth newspaper finds people that don't want the wall so be it. I can only speak for myself and the people I know that I would like to see the wall built. It doesn't have to be a big ugly thing, but sufficient enough to do the job.  I wouldn't like to live next door to a prison either, but if I did I would be grateful for the large walls.

" can only speak for myself and the people I know"

That's a considerable change from your earlier statements that Texas wants the wall.

18 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I respect your ability to climb down.... well done.

6 hours ago, Tug said:

I will be nice sorry Donald the majority of us don’t want the wall please stop punishing us because we think there is better ways to stem illegal immigrants is that nice enough?

Whatever the alternative is, it's not working. BUILD THE WALL.

45% of all illegal immigrants entered the country legally, then overstayed their visas.

Terrorists and other nasty people are far more likely to enter from Canada.

A wall physically can't be built in many places due to many geographical features.

The vast majority of illegal drugs come in via human mule on airliners, or, shipping containers (only 4% are actually inspected), or, boats and ships.

So.....what does this hypothetical wall actually do? 

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

" can only speak for myself and the people I know"

That's a considerable change from your earlier statements that Texas wants the wall.

The Star-Telegram, which is a North Texas newspaper out of Fort Worth obviously didn't interview or get the opinions of citizens of El Paso that have been affected by the collateral damage caused by the Cartels just over the border. They must not have interviewed those that are from the Loredo area that has had their homes broken into by migrants crossing the border. No, they talk to the people at National Parks. They are patrolled regularly by U.S. Forest Service personnel. At night you can hear the gunfire on the other side of the border from El Paso. Thinks these people don't want a wall? They do. Or at least something. Want to know what the majority thinks? Ask those along the border in the out of the way towns. Most of them are also Latino. This could turn into he said, she said argument.  You can think what you want.

31 minutes ago, Longcut said:

The Star-Telegram, which is a North Texas newspaper out of Fort Worth obviously didn't interview or get the opinions of citizens of El Paso that have been affected by the collateral damage caused by the Cartels just over the border. They must not have interviewed those that are from the Loredo area that has had their homes broken into by migrants crossing the border. No, they talk to the people at National Parks. They are patrolled regularly by U.S. Forest Service personnel. At night you can hear the gunfire on the other side of the border from El Paso. Thinks these people don't want a wall? They do. Or at least something. Want to know what the majority thinks? Ask those along the border in the out of the way towns. Most of them are also Latino. This could turn into he said, she said argument.  You can think what you want.

Quite right... perhaps... maybe... but we don’t know because you have failed to back up your claims with a link to something that would support your argument.... something simple is all, as has been provided against your argument... surely something exists beyond your opinion.... or does it?

Lacking the ability to back up your claims makes you as believable as... well... trump ????????????

42 minutes ago, Longcut said:

The Star-Telegram, which is a North Texas newspaper out of Fort Worth obviously didn't interview or get the opinions of citizens of El Paso that have been affected by the collateral damage caused by the Cartels just over the border

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigration/2018/09/28/el-pasoans-dont-like-new-wall-stands-blocks-view-mexico

here ya go ... a paper that did go to the trouble of asking el pasoneans... enjoy... winning winning winning... MAGA,! ????????????

What a wrird country the USA is. One person has a hissy fit and the government stops working. No wonder the people of America have so many problems when the people in charge stamp their feet when they cant get their own way

2 hours ago, howbri said:

Whatever the alternative is, it's not working. BUILD THE WALL.

Any evidence to back that claim? Last thing I’ve heard is that:

1) Illegal Immigration from Mexico has been declining since 2007;

2) Smugglers are mainly using ways that wouldn’t be affected by a wall at all (tunnels, regular border passings). 

So whats that “it’s not working” exactly? 

It's not just the fact that a government shutdown- even in part- says to the American people and around the World that the President; his Party and the Democrats  cannot seem to find even a stop gap solution .  It is the perception that America is failing and falling apart . Couple this with the Secretary of Defense resigning over Trump's announcement that he is pulling out of Syria against the advice of the General Staff and drawing down immediately in Afghanistan and the  significant drop in the Stock market and you have a vision of an Administration in chaos.

It is a sad day when the only praise comes from Putin and the President depends on Edrogan of Turkey  who is the sworn enemy of the Kurd's.  If it wasn't for the  loyalty of the Kurds to America- Iraq would be controlled by ISIS still and Syria a haven for their so called Caliphate.

Spending $5 Billion for a useless border wall that most experts believe will do nothing while Americans die of a lack of healthcare and university students go into 20 years of debt to get an education is not only madness but incompetence.

Trump cares not one iota for the American people. It is always about him. Only him and his outsized ego. The wall is never going to happen. Even if those numskulls who are trying to raise the money privately, come up with $40 billion, which is the true cost of the wall, they will not be able to have it built. You cannot just donate money to the federal government, and specify what you want the government to do with the money. It does not work like that. 

The shutdown is all about his ability to go back to his followers, a minority of the American people, and say look I stood up and did what I could. He is a lame duck. Senators in his own party are now standing up to him, due to the slaughter he withstood in November, and his continued poor decisions and incompetency in the job. Come next month, he will have the hardest time of his presidency thus far. And with the upcoming Mueller revelations, he is on his way out. Bye bye!

5 hours ago, farcanell said:

Quite right... perhaps... maybe... but we don’t know because you have failed to back up your claims with a link to something that would support your argument.... something simple is all, as has been provided against your argument... surely something exists beyond your opinion.... or does it?

Lacking the ability to back up your claims makes you as believable as... well... trump ????????????

My family lives there. I'm betting yours doesn't. That's all the affirmation I need.

6 hours ago, Longcut said:

Is that why every member of congress who represents a district that borders Mexico is against the wall?

23 minutes ago, Longcut said:

My family lives there. I'm betting yours doesn't. That's all the affirmation I need.

Right... so that’s a negative.... your blowing unsubstantiated rubbish out your rectum... good to know... there must be a trump link there, somewhere. ????

17 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I hope the shutdown lasts for a very long time. For no other reason than to demonstrate how little the federal government does for the average American on a daily basis. They will probably spend money to make signs to shut the national parks and make barricades. lol What would we do with out park rangers?

The panda cam at the washington zoo will be turned off. it is hardly a pressing emergency. 

Yeh let the employees starve , who cares , certainly not Trump.

10 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

45% of all illegal immigrants entered the country legally, then overstayed their visas.

Terrorists and other nasty people are far more likely to enter from Canada.

A wall physically can't be built in many places due to many geographical features.

The vast majority of illegal drugs come in via human mule on airliners, or, shipping containers (only 4% are actually inspected), or, boats and ships.

So.....what does this hypothetical wall actually do? 

It helps fan boyz to achieve an orgasm !

Individual-1 "logic" on this is keep pandering to his rabid "alt-right" base and he can win reelection. Don't and he can't. Staying president keeps him out of prison. It's not about the wall. It's not about immigration. It's not about what's best for the American people. The only American people he cares about is himself and some of his family and or course … his money. It's always all about Individual-1 and what he thinks is good for him. 

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Individual-1 "logic" on this is keep pandering to his rabid "alt-right" base and he can win reelection. Don't and he can't. Staying president keeps him out of prison. It's not about the wall. It's not about immigration. It's not about what's best for the American people. The only American people he cares about is himself and some of his family and or course … his money. It's always all about Individual-1 and what he thinks is good for him. 

When was the last time any president ever did "what's best for the American people"?

edit: Ok, I've got one: The Taxpayers Bill Of Rights. That was a good change. IRS much more solicitous and even handed now.

I personally have known many Mexican people over the years I have found them honest hard working family orientated and fairly religious I have 1 property in sandiego and 2 in Arizona all are close to the border I don’t feel threatened in the least it’s just Donald and his scare tactics trying to creat fear to get his way

18 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Don't read too much into it. This site is full of expats that are completely unaware of what is actually happening in the USA. They say a lot about Trump because they are allowed to say so little in Thailand.

The post office runs, TSA is still working. Trump can basically let this run until things like social security become impacted. He really doesn't have another choice. If he caves in now he is finished. America can run like this for another 6 months or more. 

I am sitting here having a beer in America with no government help. lol My husband is British and was worried at first now he understands how little the federal government does for us .

If the entire government shutdown, you would know ????

Archived