With no deal, U.S. government shutdown likely to drag on past Christmas

rooster59

Opinion: The government shutdown is an exercise in futility. There will not be any 5 billion or any significant increase over 1.whatever billion. The shutdown will drag on for a few days, probably early into the new year. Trump will not have turkey for Christmas or New Years dinner; he will eat crow.

With this POTUS, we have all become accustomed to expecting the unexpected. ANYTHING is possible between now and the end of the shutdown. Finally, even members of HIS own party are taking exception to his decisions. One more major, impulsive, unilateral act and Trump may find himself defending against the invocation of the 25th amendment.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Tug said:

I personally have known many Mexican people over the years I have found them honest hard working family orientated and fairly religious I have 1 property in sandiego and 2 in Arizona all are close to the border I don’t feel threatened in the least it’s just Donald and his scare tactics trying to creat fear to get his way

I used to live in a Mexican neighborhood in Dallas.  Lots of fun, and great food-they always had my back as well

13 minutes ago, bendejo said:

We can hope, but don't hold your breath.

He's certainly deserving of that fate, but here's the thing. Once you go down that road you open the door for future governments to be susceptible to its invocation, and probably for lesser and lesser reasons. The other thing is, the Cabinet is chock full of swamp dwellers who IMO have no moral authority to make the call.

1 hour ago, Redline said:
1 hour ago, Tug said:

I personally have known many Mexican people over the years I have found them honest hard working family orientated and fairly religious I have 1 property in sandiego and 2 in Arizona all are close to the border I don’t feel threatened in the least it’s just Donald and his scare tactics trying to creat fear to get his way

I used to live in a Mexican neighborhood in Dallas.  Lots of fun, and great food-they always had my back as well

I agree, and I don't mean it in a "it's a beautiful world" kind of way.

Anyone who's had a house in California and needed work done knows that there is a good chance if you hire American guys they will stop showing up before the job is done, or maybe show up drunk -- you'll need to hire a general contractor to keep them in line, you're paying another salary just to make sure the other guys are doing what they're supposed to.  No offense meant to the honest contractors out there.  I'll pick a Mexican worker every time, provided he can convince me he knows what he's doing.  Just don't expect them to work on Sundays ????

Of course there's bad apples everywhere, even among "the best people" working for DT.

4 hours ago, Redline said:
19 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Don't read too much into it. This site is full of expats that are completely unaware of what is actually happening in the USA. They say a lot about Trump because they are allowed to say so little in Thailand.

The post office runs, TSA is still working. Trump can basically let this run until things like social security become impacted. He really doesn't have another choice. If he caves in now he is finished. America can run like this for another 6 months or more. 

I am sitting here having a beer in America with no government help. lol My husband is British and was worried at first now he understands how little the federal government does for us .

Kinda says that you came out of the same mold as Trump, you really don't care about anybody but yourself.  Although some of the Fed s are working without pay and will be reimbursed when the government reopens there are 320000 employees that have been furloughed without pay, they won't be paid after the Fed reopens.  They all have families and it is Christmas time.  In addition nothing has been calculated on the affect on other civilian workers that will be laid off due to the shutdown.  Trump really cares about only one thing, himself and just doesn't get it  Kinda reminds me of reminds me of an old nursery rime:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

Just change Humpty Dumpty to Trump and it kinda says it all!!!

Trump

If the Federal  government shut down, and the finance department is shut down

then no one gets paid. No federal employee, no businesses on federal contract,

all military and federal police or legal departments. Do you get that a lot of people

will be very affected by Trumps stupid decision, all because he wants his big wall.

Geezer

19 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

If Chuck Schumer doesn't give up a measly 5 billion (fraction of the cost of the illegal aliens) the shut down could last beyond Christmas of next year. 

Like a broken record boon.

However if Trump doesn't want the military to do anything, Ok fine with me. At 590 Billion annually and that is a low ball figure of the real costs. We can now cut that in half. We can get these people on the streets and working, no entitlement jobs in our society.  

That money can go to pay for the wall and Tax cuts for the rich. Win Win  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Like a broken record boon.

However if Trump doesn't want the military to do anything, Ok fine with me. At 590 Billion annually and that is a low ball figure of the real costs. We can now cut that in half. We can get these people on the streets and working, no entitlement jobs in our society.  

That money can go to pay for the wall and Tax cuts for the rich. Win Win  :thumbsup:

Actually the military budget of 2018 was 700 billion and for 2019 it's going to be 750 billions. Because, according to Trump,  the less you need to use the military in foreign interventions, the more you need to spend on it.

Money, even if it's a surplus, can't simply be diverted from one agency to another.  Even within an agency, money usually cannot be diverted from one project to another without congressional approval.

So the department of whatever can't mysteriously "discover" a $5B surplus and pass it under the table to the department of massive, stupid wasteful projects for border wall funding.

Archived