Using a Re-Entry Permit Whilst on an O visa (based upon marriage)

Dear TV brainstrust,

I've not been able to find an answer to this on the forum so though I would ask please. If needing to leave the Kingdom whilst on an O visa (marriage) using a Re-Entry Permit, how is the original validity of the O visa affected? Do the 12 months as originally issued (in 90 day amounts of course) keep ticking away whilst outside Thailand?

Thanks and regards, GaryA

Edited by GA19

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate you do not need a re-entry permit for as long as your visa is valid. You will get a new 90 day entry up to the date the visa expires.

A re-entry permit is only needed for an extension of stay issued by immigration or if your visa has expired and you want to keep the remainder of the last 90 day entry from it valid when your re-enter the country using it.

A re-entry permit does not grant any additional days you get the same permit to stay date you had when you left the country.

Understood with thanks ubonjoe,

Upon re-entry, you would get another 90, within the confines of the same permit to stay date you had when you left the country.

If I was granted a single entry O based on marriage and needed to leave (just the once) for work outside the kingdom, I would need a Re-Entry Permit, then upon re-entry, be issued another 90 days within the confines of the originally issued permit to stay date.

Merry Christmas to you ubonjoe and thank you  

32 minutes ago, GA19 said:

If I was granted a single entry O based on marriage and needed to leave (just the once) for work outside the kingdom, I would need a Re-Entry Permit, then upon re-entry, be issued another 90 days within the confines of the originally issued permit to stay date.

You would need a re-entry permit to keep the original admitted until date valid when you re-enter the country. For example if you left 20 days after you entered the country and stayed out of the country for 30 days you would only have 40 days remaining of your 90 day entry.

with reference to your example above UJ, ... if I was out of the kingdom for a period exceeding the original 90 days 'admitted until' date that was granted, upon re-entry, with a re-entry permit, would another 90 days 'admitted until' start anew?

There's a lot for me to learn here before I do this, thank you for your help and patience mate

2 minutes ago, GA19 said:

with reference to your example above UJ, ... if I was out of the kingdom for a period exceeding the original 90 days 'admitted until' date that was granted, upon re-entry, with a re-entry permit, would another 90 days 'admitted until' start anew?

If you only had a single entry visa you would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry since your visa would of already been used.

7 minutes ago, GA19 said:

There's a lot for me to learn here before I do this, thank you for your help and patience mate

The thing to understand about a re-entry permit is that it has nothing to do with your visa. It simply protects your existing permission to stay when you leave and re-enter Thailand. Usually, when you leave the country, your current permission to stay ends. A re-entry permit, basically, makes it seem as though you never left as far as your right to be in the country is concerned. (Obviously, if your permission to stay has expired on your return, the re-entry permit does not help.)

Edited by BritTim

The validity of a Visa and the validity of permission to stay are entirely different.

The period of visa validity is different from the period of stayVisa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau

• Like 1