Thai Tsunami Warning System Works Despite Damage: Minister

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai Tsunami Warning System Works Despite Damage: Minister

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

k3.jpg

BANGKOK — Thailand’s tsunami warning system is operational despite one of the two detection buoy lines on the Andaman sea having been recently damaged by a trawler, Interior Minister Gen. Anupong Paochinda said Tuesday.

Anupong reassured the public after a deadly tsunami hits Indonesia’s Sunda Strait without warning on Sunday, killing more than 280 people.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2018/12/25/thai-tsunami-warning-system-works-despite-damage-minister/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-12-25

Me velly velly solly, not my mistake, system work maybe less 50%, but after pay commission, have no money less for take care, could not expect it would be damaged, you see, maybe we not forget in next year budget when find a good deal to repair it, now hope the Lord Buddha help us have no tsunami in Thailand... 

P.S.: what does 'recently damaged' mean for that dective buoy line, Gen Anupong, please, how many years exactly...? Would you accept to be put in a line in front of a firing squad when the defect is not fixed before a next tsunami? Erm..., yes, I guessed so.

A spokes person in Indonesia has admitted that the Tsunami warning system has not been working since 2012... SIX YEARS !!!

He quoted they had been damaged by weather conditions, possibly vandalism!

He also said they had a limited budget that did not meet the cost of repair !!!

If I was an Indonesian who's lost family members or fiends I'd be asking some very tough questions in government house!!!!

As for Thailand I'd be checking if their Tsunami system is as operational as they say it is, life is just as valueless here as it is in Indonesia!!!

Yeeeeeeeees, I am sure it does!

And over new year and Songkhran, we will have a death- toll, going down because of the implemented laws and safety measures!

When will these people EVER not lie and instead really do ANYTHING?

...oh...TIT...so...never!

????

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

A spokes person in Indonesia has admitted that the Tsunami warning system has not been working since 2012... SIX YEARS !!!

If I was an Indonesian who's lost family members or fiends I'd be asking some very tough questions in government house!!!!

As for Thailand I'd be checking if their Tsunami system is as operational as they say it is, life is just as valueless here as it is in Indonesia!!!

Well now, asking questions in Indonesia of officials seems to be rather akward, even bad for your health.

But, there is a democratic system in place, but does it work?

Worse as in Thailand, that's for certain.

10 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

what happened did the black electrical tape wash off the cable where they had twisted it together.

10 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

what happened did the black electrical tape wash off the cable where they had twisted it together.

More like fisherman mucked it up .

The recent Indonesian tsunami was caused by an underwater eruption, not by a quake. With underwater volcanic eruption there is no warning system available unlike quakes where plate movement can be detected. This latest tsunami might prompt scientists to develop systems for known active volcanoes but even here there is a problem. If the active volcano is close to or part of the mainland then a sudden eruption does not and cannot initiate early warning. Such volcanoes require constant monitoring both at the source and all known secondaries which, I think, is virtually impossible with present technology. 

13 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

The recent Indonesian tsunami was caused by an underwater eruption, not by a quake. With underwater volcanic eruption there is no warning system available unlike quakes where plate movement can be detected. This latest tsunami might prompt scientists to develop systems for known active volcanoes but even here there is a problem. If the active volcano is close to or part of the mainland then a sudden eruption does not and cannot initiate early warning. Such volcanoes require constant monitoring both at the source and all known secondaries which, I think, is virtually impossible with present technology. 

Which doesn't really mean that the current technology should not be maintained does it?

Now both Indonesia and Thailand admit that they have not maintained or repaired them.

Considering  the huge amount of effort and money in aid,equipment,supplies and manpower sent by the West after the last Tsunami, these feckless nations remain just as corrupt and incompetent as ever.

I've always wondered if the warning system in Pattaya would work. Because, unlike in The Netherlands -where every city has some kind of alarm that is tested every first Monday of the month, 12:00 am- I can't recall the alarm system in Pattaya being tested at all during my 8 month stay in 2016.

53 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

I've always wondered if the warning system in Pattaya would work. Because, unlike in The Netherlands -where every city has some kind of alarm that is tested every first Monday of the month, 12:00 am- I can't recall the alarm system in Pattaya being tested at all during my 8 month stay in 2016.

Or since. Or before. And I doubt it was properly tested this time, just some wannabe out to make a name for himself.

Budding politician is he? Not looking for votes or anything? Nah...

1 hour ago, wolf81 said:

Pattaya?

I am kind of sure, the chance of a Tsunami in the Gulf of Thailand is really, REALLY low and I would wonder, if there is the necessity of such a warning system.

On the Andaman Coast though...well...QED...

10 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Goes to show you how much you know about Indonesia.........it may be the most moderate muslim populace country on the planet, but you start some shi'ite and you could disappear..............people don't ask questions of the Govt in Indonesia............organized protest??  Yes, but only upon govt approval, sway from the subject??  It's curtains, maybe not today, but later for sure.  I lived in Indonesia for four years .........a lot goes unreported in that country.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:27 AM, wolf81 said:

Allo 'wolf81'!?! The topic is: tsunami warning systems in Indonesia. Do you have, ...tsunami, warning systems in the Netherlands? I doubt it.

But no doubt NL has detection of sea surges, probably including tidal waves.

As for Pattaya, when that place would have, like you write, a tsunami warning system, it would have been a scam to get one, as the Gulf of Thailand (Pacific Ocean) it is in is not exposed to tsunami, while the Andaman Sea side of Thailand, Krabi, Phuket f.i. (Indian Ocean), are exposed. Not same-same.

Archived