Do we need 20,000 baht each to enter Thailand at Chiang Khong ?

I'm a UK national and my boyfriend's Dutch. On 9th January 2019 we're going to Vientiane to get a Thai 60 day visa and will then spend a week travelling north through Laos to enter Thailand at Chiang Khong. Do we need to have 20,000 B each ? I don't want to have to travel for a week with so much money on us if it's not necessary. When we cross into Thailand at Nong Khai we've never been asked so we hope it's the same at Chiang Khong. Has anyone crossed the Chiang Khong border recently ?

We've been in Thailand since 12th November 2018 on a 60 day visa from Penang and before that we spent November 2017- April 2018 in Thailand. Thanks.

7 hours ago, flashlight92 said:

Thanks for your amazingly quick reply. That's a relief as we don't like carrying so much cash about. Thank you.

Yes, it is needed. Unless you want to both risk being denied entry into Thailand for not having the legally required cash on hand, either in Thai baht or another equivalent foreign currency. Seriously, having 484 British Pounds on you in "a lot of money" especially as a tourist???

• Like 2

Yes, it is needed. Unless you want to both risk being denied entry into Thailand for not having the legally required cash on hand, either in Thai baht or another equivalent foreign currency. Seriously, having 484 British Pounds on you in "a lot of money" especially as a tourist???
Who in there right mind carries 20.000 bht in cash with them back packing or touring around Laos, Cambodia etc, nobody, I've never been asked or my Cambodian wife hasn't either in 10years of in -out of Thailand.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, trigpoint said:

Who in there right mind carries 20.000 bht in cash with them back packing or touring around Laos, Cambodia etc, nobody, I've never been asked or my Cambodian wife hasn't either in 10years of in -out of Thailand.

Almost no one does, in this day and age - which is why it is such a handy way to arbitrarily deny-entry.  I topped-off my ancient travelers checks to comply safely with this anachronistic requirement; at least they never expire.

But, per recent reports, the only land-borders that ask for this are Poipet/Aranyaprathet (which may deny you anyway) and entry-points from Malaysia (which are generally OK, if you have the money).

4 hours ago, trigpoint said:

I never leave the USA without at least $1000 in cash in the secret stash. Anywhere, except Canada.

I was in Thailand once for a vacation while married and told my wife I was going to the Super Bowl and would be gone a week. She said cool and went to Bermuda. This was before cell phones. So she wouldnt wise up by way of the credit cards, I took $8K with me. In cash. No big deal.

Edited by Nyezhov

18 hours ago, trigpoint said:

Someone who doesn't looking like a backpacking hippie beggar who looks like those kind who hand around Khao San Rd, that's who. Thailand clearly doesn't want these type of low quality tourists as they have mentioned many times in the past. They want quality tourists with money to spend.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1