New Year anti-drunk driving campaign begins

webfact

On 12/28/2018 at 3:45 PM, markaoffy said:

Along the Beach road in Ban Phe the police were grabbing foreigners on motorbikes for not having Thai Driving licences today! 500baht a pop! Collecting money for the annual police piss up

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

How about: Collecting money from foreigners too arrogant, stupid, or ignorant to obey the law. Should be thankful they don't follow the Cambodia model and impound the bike for 30-days. And in your country the cops would do what to drivers without a licence? You think you're special because you are foreign?

On 12/28/2018 at 3:45 PM, markaoffy said:

Along the Beach road in Ban Phe the police were grabbing foreigners on motorbikes for not having Thai Driving licences today! 500baht a pop! Collecting money for the annual police piss up

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

a tourist does OF COURSE not need a thai driving licence, it is almost impossible, and would be absolute nonsense if a tourist on a 30 day visa exemption or on a tourist visa, only here for a few weeks or sometimes just 1 week or 10 days should be forced to go to immigration, doctor, and pass all the paperwork and hassle to be able to rent a motorbike or car and be in order and coverred by insurance... it would then be a reason more for good tourists to never come back or chose a more reasonable country where they are welcome and considered...but with an international driving licence or permit, it is ok. I checked again to be sure ( because I heard also this information) in the local police on soi 9 in Pattaya. but with them you never know... I would not be surprised..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cedel said:

a tourist does OF COURSE not need a thai driving licence, it is almost impossible, and would be absolute nonsense if a tourist on a 30 day visa exemption or on a tourist visa, only here for a few weeks or sometimes just 1 week or 10 days should be forced to go to immigration, doctor, and pass all the paperwork and hassle to be able to rent a motorbike or car and be in order and coverred by insurance... it would then be a reason more for good tourists to never come back or chose a more reasonable country where they are welcome and considered...but with an international driving licence or permit, it is ok. I checked again to be sure ( because I heard also this information) in the local police on soi 9 in Pattaya. but with them you never know... I would not be surprised..

Yeah the other poster on the previous page is wrong, international drivers license is valid.

Getting a Thai driver license requires a certificate of residence (30-60 minutes), proof of good health by a doctor (5-minute job), and half a day at the Land & Transport office where you spend most of your time waiting so altogether it can easily consume a whole day. It's funny how they provide a paper of good health without any health check at all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Yeah the other poster on the previous page is wrong, international drivers license is valid.

Getting a Thai driver license requires a certificate of residence (30-60 minutes), proof of good health by a doctor (5-minute job), and half a day at the Land & Transport office where you spend most of your time waiting so altogether it can easily consume a whole day. It's funny how they provide a paper of good health without any health check at all.

No body is saying a tourist should get a Thai licence, just that the should have the correct licence and IDP from their home country for the vehicle they are a using. In the Uk you can ride a moped with a car licence, maybe some people assume that the twist and go motorbike is the same as a moped in their home country so their car licence will be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dennis123 said:

As said many many times before, there is NO SUCH THING as an International Driving Licence. An International Driving PERMIT is merely a translation, usually into English, of your own, foreign to Thais, licence. A fiver from the UK Post office or RAC.