What Have The Thais Given The World ?

ollyrosee

Not Really! Acquiesce is wrong.

In 2003 Thailand contributed 447 non-combatant troops to coaltion forces in Iraq. Thailand withdrew their troops in 2004, after two men were killed by a car bomb. Including nations which have already withdrawn forces, Thailand is the 12th largest contributor of troops to coalition forces in Iraq.

1. USA 150,000

2. UK 12,000

3. Italy 3,169

4. South Korea 2,800

5. Poland 2,500

6. Ukraine 1,400

Australia

7. Netherlands 1,345

8. Romania 700

9. Japan 750

10. Denmark 496

11. Bulgaria 485

12. Thailand 447

SO is chuckie...

Bodgey figures these plucked from ???, even taking into account that they're 4 years old...,

Rightly or wrongly there's a lot of aussies (about 1400 at last count) serving in Iraq, and they were actually the first troops to deploy into the country, and capture Iraqie assets and pow's.

Source

Wow, 1,400. Allow me to make a space for you.

I agree with you, Australian should be recognised for its massive contribution to world peace.

It truly is an important country now.

Edited by garro

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this topic is somewhat redundant. What's the point of the question? So one can say that a nation is superior because of the efforts of an individual man, such as an inventor?

That's a pretty shallow way to look at the world.

How about we take a leaf from Kennedy's book, what has the world done for Thailand?

I think this topic is somewhat redundant. What's the point of the question? So one can say that a nation is superior because of the efforts of an individual man, such as an inventor?

How about we take a leaf from Kennedy's book, what has the world done for Thailand?

Creativity evolves from hardship. It has to. Cultures that were decimated from disease, famine, war, severe winters, and crop rotation (just coincidentally) had to invent the medicines, science, weapons, agricultural science and power sources to survive and then thrive. All through adversity.

That Thailand has been blessed by an abundance of Nature; food; weather; and coastline says a lot about its creative drive. It has never had to bother its arse really. That is why Thai peole are naturally content, happy, and apathetic.

But for Western and Chinese science and merchants; Thai people would still be pointing at the moon.

I agree with you, Australian should be recognised for its massive contribution to world peace.

Are you being sarcastic? :o

นิดน้อย nit noy -just a little :D

Not too hard to work out which country you come from sport, and we all know what your country has contributed to world peace, right? :o

I agree, this thread seems like an invitation to either slag off Thailand and Thai people or to slag off everyone else. Extremely pointless and liable to end in flames, if not careful :o

Not too hard to work out which country you come from sport, and we all know what your country has contributed to world peace, right? :o

What country would that be sport?

My country of birth is far from perfect but it has never invaded another country.

The question in itself has no positive or negative connotation; it is either up to the reader or the respondent to supply the negativity.

It is to be noted that negativity is supplied in equal doses by both those who wish to point out the lack of Thailand's contribution and those who wish to hide it by not discussing it.

My personal view is the lack of a contribution is self evident, but we should remember this is something of a long game.

At the time of the Roman Empire Briton was considered barbarian until conquered and what is now called Scotland was considered barbaric beyond what the rest of Briton was.

Yet Britain has grown to be perhaps the most influential nation in modern history, and Scotland has arguably contributed more to the world on a per capita basis than any nation in history.

In short, the game is not over yet.

Edited by GuestHouse

The question in itself has no positive or negative connotation; it is either up to the reader or the respondent to supply the negativity.

It is to be noted that negativity is supplied in equal doses by both those who wish to point out the lack of Thailand's contribution and those who wish to hide it by not discussing it.

My personal view is the lack of a contribution is self evident, but we should remember this is something of a long game.

At the time of the Roman Empire Briton was considered barbarian until conquered and what is now called Scotland was considered barbaric beyond what the rest of Briton was.

Yet Britain has grown to be perhaps the most influential nation in modern history, and Scotland has arguably contributed more to the world on a per capita basis than any nation in history.

That doesn't make them any less barbaric :o

That doesn't make them any less barbaric :o

On that I agree :D

Ok, I got to call you out on this one... on what possible basis could you claim that about Scotland?

I say New Zealand would have contributed more to the world on a per capita basis than any other nation, with regards to:

-womens sufferage

- atom splitting

- everything in the water and marine related pretty much

- rugger

- wine

- pavlova

- phone throwing maniac actors

- claiming it isn't over in music

- inventing flight (ok this one is a bit under dispute)

- proving Mt Everest could be climbed by a man (again, a bit under dispute, after all he would never have made it if the Tibetan hadn't practically carried him up)

Scottish have what:

- kilts

- dinner in a bag made from a stomach

- the best whisky in the world

- the highest level of grease in any food known to man

- balding aging actor from Edinborough

- rediculous accents

All said tongue in cheek of course :-) I probably have some Scottish blood somewhere; The Thai side of me wants to get drunk and teh Scottish side of me wants to avoid paying the bill :-)

What is modern history BTW?

Anyway, pointless first question; this reminds me of the usual lectures I would be given when growing up about how every great innovation in the world had come from the white man. Oh dear. And people claim that Thais are racist...... I always wondered how USA had managed to become completely white in success, yet the non whites could be responsible for every failure.

IMHO as a Thai, Thailand has probably punched below its weight overall as a hub of inventions and brands(since it seems we are judging things brought to the world on those two terms). The expression there is rice in the fields and fish in the sea seems apt here; furthermore some of the innovations hardly seem up there with splitting the Atom (NZ) or frozen meat (NZ) or disposable syringes (also NZ) or even something so bizarre as the bungy jump (er, also NZ).

I think a better question would be what have you and your family personally done to make the world a better place?

I suspect that thread might be a whole lot shorter; all very well to take pride in your country (and I am equally proud to be a Kiwi and a Thai) and its acheivements, but surely it is better to ask what you yourself have done?

Note: contributions to sick buffalo and a trail of used condoms in Nana Plaza don't count.

Edited by steveromagnino

Muay Thai is originally Khmer.

At the 2005 Southeast Asian Games Cambodia didn't enter the Muay Thai event under protest as they rightly believe it should be called something other than Muay Thai, given that historically the Cambodian (and other) equivalents precede the Thai version. I believe the name 'SEA boxing' was proffered, given that many countries have contributed to the fighting style.

So you can cross that one off the list.

Huh,

I have never even heard of Cambodian kick boxing.

Muay Thai means Thai boxing, next you will be telling me that French Fries aren't really French :o

"Cambodian kickboxing known as Pradal Serey (literally meaning free fighting) is virtually identical to Muay Thai, and bouts are often held between Thai and Cambodian contestants. The Khmer Rouge banned the sport just as Muay Thai was becoming internationally popular, adding to Cambodia’s isolation. Now it’s firmly back on the sports agenda, and kickboxing gyms are opening up throughout the country. It is believed by the Cambodians that Pradal Serey historically precedes Muay Thai, and there has been much debate of the true origins of the sport."

Don't know how accurate this all is, sourced from here.

Edited by bkkmadness

Muay Thai is originally Khmer.

At the 2005 Southeast Asian Games Cambodia didn't enter the Muay Thai event under protest as they rightly believe it should be called something other than Muay Thai, given that historically the Cambodian (and other) equivalents precede the Thai version. I believe the name 'SEA boxing' was proffered, given that many countries have contributed to the fighting style.

So you can cross that one off the list.

Huh,

I have never even heard of Cambodian kick boxing.

Muay Thai means Thai boxing, next you will be telling me that French Fries aren't really French :o

Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. That is what we call ignorance.

Do some research and you'll find I'm correct.

Pradal Serey (Khmer kickboxing) was developed in Cambodia around the 9th Century during the Angkor era when the Khmer Empire dominated and controlled most of what is now Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

During the Cambodian Civil War, Cambodia claims Thailand monopolized kickboxing and promoted its style, Muay Thai, to the world. The Thai have set up an international boxing committee in which almost 100 countries participate which lead to why Southeast Asian kickboxing is widely known as Thai boxing. Cambodians have argued there was no such thing as Muay Siam that existed before the name change of Siam to Thailand. At an ASEAN meeting in 1995, Thailand wanted to rename Southeast Asian kickboxing as Muay Thai or Thai Boxing. The Cambodians proposed to rename the sport as "Sovanna Phum" boxing or "SEA Boxing", which represented Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. Other south east Asian nations also have their own style of kickboxing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pradal_Serey

:D

If it is in the Wikipedia then it must be true?

Scotland's contribution to and influence on the modern World is unprecedented.

Start by reading How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World and Everything in It

A fair few of these claims look like they occurred when Scotland was part of the Kingdom of Great Britain post 1707 as far as I can recall from my tiny bit of Engrish history, quite the eye opener, never realised the Scots did so much; Adam Smith is da man! However, a book with a title like that opens itself to ridicule; and incidentally there is a similarly titled book for Ireland of all places....

-Chinese

- Greeks

- Jewish

- USA (although of course like NZ it is a nation of immigrants)

all did pretty well as well in terms of invention and acheivement. Pound for pound, I still think NZ (many of Scottish ancestory) probably has done pretty well for itself.

As for your comments on Muay Thai, it IS different, it is the dominant form of the general art of fighting with knees, elbows, grapple, kicks punches in the way that it is set up in Thailand using a ring and semi boxing style system. You could equally claim that since it is merely a series of ways to hit someone that cavemen also did muay Thai most likely prior to Thailand. The surrounding countries tend to get trounced under Thai rules, and most Thais don't fight under the other country's rules.

The way of fighting and movement was for a while unequalled and any serious stand up MT fighter would have no problem acknowledging the impact of the Thai way of doing their sport Muay Thai on the way that many standing martial arts are done nowadays. Clearly you do have some problem with that, I guess the solution would be to help us understand whether you know anything about the sport or not first, then we can guess whether your opinion is a useful or credible one. :-)

Edited by steveromagnino

would that make "prikh thai" (black pepper) an exclusive produce of thailand? :D

What Prik Thai as well?

Is there no end to the madness?

Emperor Tud from what I read Cambodia is laying claims to Muay Thai, but as yet no one has agreed on this. Perhaps that's worth noting before you shout people down for their ignorance. If you have any links to facts and evidence of this I would like to see them.

I wasn't shouting anybody down, merely responding to what was nothing more than an unfounded attack on my previous post by someone that has no knowledge of the subject matter whatsoever nor was willing to offer a reasoned argument.

If you visit Ankhor Wat, there are clearly carvings on the temple walls in stone that indicate a form of kickboxing existed during the period around the 9th century when the Khmer Empire was in control of the region.

In the 9th century Thailand did not exist, and as the Cambodians point out, no fighting style has ever been known as Muay Siam!

I'll do some more Googling and see what I come up with...

You think too mutt

Like others I am disturbed by the inherently negative inference of this thread.

There are countries in the world who, for various reasons, have contributed massively to human developement. Are they, and their people, to be judged on these largley historical achievements? Or should we judge them by what they are doing today to better the cause of the species and the environment?

This is like some global game of Big Brother. "What has Angola ever done for the world? Chuck them off and I don't much like that Tahitian lot. Load of grass skirts that's all they've produced, what use are they?"

Like others I am disturbed by the inherently negative inference of this thread.

There are countries in the world who, for various reasons, have contributed massively to human developement. Are they, and their people, to be judged on these largley historical achievements? Or should we judge them by what they are doing today to better the cause of the species and the environment?

This is like some global game of Big Brother. "What has Angola ever done for the world? Chuck them off and I don't much like that Tahitian lot. Load of grass skirts that's all they've produced, what use are they?"

But them there women in them grass skirts are something else eh?

Oh and I meant to say, the Thais ought to be commended for monopolising the sport and for taking it to an international audience, even if they weren't responsible for its conception or fundamental development.

I doubt any country can take the credit for coming up with the sport of hitting someone else in the head and body 'for sport'.

While doing your google search, you might also want to learn what monopolise means :-)

Fundamentals of Muay Thai as we know it nowadays (technique, strategy, scoring, training, promotion) are, like boxing, mostly within the last 80 years. So...let me know what you discover on Cambodia's contribution to the sport in that period.

BTW next you can do a similar exercise for American Football (rugby), Brazilian Jujitsu (vs. normal jujitsu), Aussie rules (Gaellic football), American Idol (any talent show), Siamese twins etc etc. For instance, I will acknowledge that Siamese twins were not 'invented' in Thailand.

Everyone round the world except Japan in the K1 with their whatever they call it and USA with their dodgy kickboxing pretty much acknowledges that the stand up style of Muay Thai is called Muay Thai. There are some issues for getting into the olympics with a name of a country in the sport, so it may end up being called something else. but for everyone that does it in Thailand, we call it Muay Thai. And that is what trainers and fighters starting in heavily the 70s really started to share with the world.

Kind of like what Scotland did in sharing whisky, except they call it Scotch. Why? Because it is made in Scotland. Other than that, it is pretty much exactly the same as whisky from anywhere else. Better for the most part, but the Scotch is branding. Like a Kiwi fruit. Except that it isn't even from New Zealand, it is actually a Chinese gooseberry that they forgot to trademark. Now Kiwis come from all over the world.

Not to mention VB beer!

As for your comments on Muay Thai, it IS different, it is the dominant form of the general art of fighting with knees, elbows, grapple, kicks punches in the way that it is set up in Thailand using a ring and semi boxing style system. You could equally claim that since it is merely a series of ways to hit someone that cavemen also did muay Thai most likely prior to Thailand. The surrounding countries tend to get trounced under Thai rules, and most Thais don't fight under the other country's rules.

I have to agree that Muay Thai seems to have flourished under Thai competition and evolved into its modern form. It is indeed the best striking martial art in the world. It beats Kyokushin karate, Taekwondo, Capoeira, regular kickboxing, and western boxing. If you look at the competition fight world like mixed martial arts and K-1 tournaments in Japan, Muay Thai practitioners do extremely well there and have won championships. So I won't bash Thailand on this because it's very effective in sport and real world circumstances.

Honestly the only things that Thailand has contributed to the world are in no particular order:

Muay Thai

Sexy girls

Thai food

That's about it really..if thailand wasn't the #1 exporter in Rice another country like Vietnam would be and I doubt the world would notice because someone would fill the gap. Same goes for rubber, silk, tapioca, or whatever other agricultural or natural resource.

Thailand basically manufactures for Japan so as far as that goes i'd say you'd have to credit Japan for much of Thailand's economic growth. All the car companies here are foreign owned anyways.

Which gap, WM, the sexy girls' or the rice supply? I love this thread!

Without Thailand there would be no Thai Visa Forum; but I suppose many of the forum members would create another website for whatever country they were staying in and whine there.

And without the lovely women there'd be a lot less farang men! Beauty can be such a tiresome burden. I'm glad I was born plain. But I have a beautiful mind. Keep it rolling G, I love this input.