US Social Security myBenefits form

I've searched through the topics but want to be sure this is correct.  I have applied through Manila for SS and receiving it now.  Now I need to get things right for my address to get the annual proof of life form.  Since I have a Thai address I can't complete the myBenefits application.  Is the below the best or correct way to do it?

1.  Supply a US address of family or friend with my name and c/o the person.
2. When form completed and accepted, change my address to my Thai address.

Or will they send a letter to the US address first for proof before they approve myBenefits application?  Will need to inform the person receiving the letter to forward it to me if so.
Or is there an alternate way to get a US address with forwarding that works?

Yeah, if possible, go to SSA.gov  and sign up for a  "My Social Security"  It becomes a personal portal to your pertinent info regarding Social Security. Not sure though, if you can do this if you are not currently within US border, but you can try. Personally I opened my account while I was still stateside. 

The US address is only needed for the My Social Security sign up . If you already have a Thai address in the system that will not be changed.

1. You have to have a verifiable address which done is automatically when you try to sign up. If your addresses cannot be verified you will not be able to complete the signup.

2. No need to change your address after signing up.

• 3 weeks later...

I signed up for mySSA online with a Thai address several years ago.  At that point I was just requesting benefit payout estimates.  I continued to use the same mySSA account once I started collecting SS payments, and have kept a Thai address with them the entire time.  Do they now require a US address to set up mySSA?

2 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I signed up for mySSA online with a Thai address several years ago.  At that point I was just requesting benefit payout estimates.  I continued to use the same mySSA account once I started collecting SS payments, and have kept a Thai address with them the entire time.  Do they now require a US address to set up mySSA?

Yes, they do, which has prevented me from being able to do it.

7 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, they do, which has prevented me from being able to do it.

What a bummer!  Probably more of the Patriot Act and AMLO type of restrictions?  We are practically disowned as US citizens financially when we live overseas these days.  I hold my breath any time I have to make a query about anything related to my Chase VISA or Fidelity Investments accounts because I fear being "found out" and having my accounts closed.

What a bummer!  Probably more of the Patriot Act and AMLO type of restrictions?  We are practically disowned as US citizens financially when we live overseas these days.  I hold my breath any time I have to make a query about anything related to my Chase VISA or Fidelity Investments accounts because I fear being "found out" and having my accounts closed.
I don"t think it is eithrr of those things, it is just the way the website is designed (no field for country) and also the system used to verify address.

When I called SSA about this they suggested I re check from time to time as it might change in the future. Though how to verify addresses abriad could be a challenge.

I receive 2 US credit card statements (Visa and Mastercard) , my US bank statement and other financial starements (e.g. on deferred annuities) at my Thai address, they all know I am in Thailand and it has never been a problem. I did originally have a US address when these accounts were opened though.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, Thailand J said:

I don't remember which address  I used to sign up for mySocialSecurity . I don't see my address when I sign in. ????

After you sign in, look under the Profile menu setting.  Your address/phone number is shown there "if you are drawing benefits."  If not drawing benefits it may not show any address but you may be able to populate an address.

Also, keep in mind when "first registering" for a mySSA account the validation process compares the address you enter against credit agency records for a match; not necessary the latest address SSA may have for you.   

When the wife registered for her mySSA account before she applied for benefits she had to use the last address in the US which was around 7 years old compared to her military APO US address.  Although her APO address was showing on the credit agency reports for some reason the mySSA validation process didn't see it as her "latest and greatest" address.  OK, once she got past that she got registered....was now online with her mySSA account, but it did not show any address in the Profile area....just blank.  But later on when she applied for SS pension that process ended up getting her profile populated with her latest and greatest address.