POTY revamp - suggestions

Andrew Dwyer

The answer is a complete rethink and revamp  

A structured POTY. This would begin with 11 POTMs. Starting in January and finishing in November, there should be a POTM each month. with each winner going through to the grand final in December (baring dropouts or deaths or bannings,..... in which case reserves go in).

There would have to be rules, of course, like posting at least once in a month, and for those who do not want to be included being able to abstain from the grand final; the POTY. 

I personally would not want TVForum staff included. The more they stay low-profile the better for me. Previous winner welcome. But, just as in Miss World, all the finalists would have to make a profound statement about their particular passion (football, plastic bags, food etc....) to help us voters differentiate between them during December.

Now. would the POTM winners carry their votes into POTY? I'm undecided on this.

Sounds like a well thought out idea there owl !

I love it , the candidates would have been nominated more for their monthly posting rather than their character.

So in December you have 11 candidates who have proven their posting prowess over the past year and then can fight it out for the POTY in the usual style.

( I don’t think they should carry their votes over)

I vote for this !!

My only question is :

By whom or how is the monthly winner decided ??

• Like 1

Think suggestions are making stuff to complicated.....

POTY is a members thingy, nothing to do with TVF, which we know as staff don't really want to be involved with it..

What it needs is TVF to have a prize of some sort for the winner, just imagine the fighting and scrambling then then for gold dots..????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Think suggestions are making stuff to complicated.....

POTY is a members thingy, nothing to do with TVF, which we know as staff don't really want to be involved with it..

What it needs is TVF to have a prize of some sort for the winner, just imagine the fighting and scrambling then then for gold dots..????

Agreed, the powers that be will have to dig into their pockets ..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The answer is a complete rethink and revamp

A structured POTY. This would begin with 11 POTMs. Starting in January and finishing in November, there should be a POTM each month. with each winner going through to the grand final in December (baring dropouts or deaths or bannings,..... in which case reserves go in).

There would have to be rules, of course, like posting at least once in a month, and for those who do not want to be included being able to abstain from the grand final; the POTY. 

I personally would not want TVForum staff included. The more they stay low-profile the better for me. Previous winner welcome. But, just as in Miss World, all the finalists would have to make a profound statement about their particular passion (football, plastic bags, food etc....) to help us voters differentiate between them during December.

Now. would the POTM winners carry their votes into POTY? I'm undecided on this.

After giving it some thought owl I think the danger might be that it would become a monthly competition ( accumulating in a grand final) with all the controversy of deciding who is the monthly winner !!

For example you couldn’t choose the monthly winner on “ likes “ alone or at the end of the year you would end up with 11 x funny one liners or 11 x first posts on a thread!

Don’t want to pour cold water on your idea but it might just multiply the confusion by 12 !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Anyone residing in the North East should not be included. How can they contribute constructively to TV, living a Hermits Life on the Banks of Moon River, they only know about 7/11 reduced price shelf. Only Bkk and Pats residents realy know the true Thailand.

Weeeeeeell, as I am one of those hermits you mention, I myself have won two silvers and one gold in the POTY final....In the words of ........

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Anyone residing in the North East should not be included. How can they contribute constructively to TV, living a Hermits Life on the Banks of Moon River, they only know about 7/11 reduced price shelf. Only Bkk and Pats residents realy know the true Thailand.

Will someone kindly remove those blinkers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some of you are flattering yourselves. The POTY is a turnoff for a majority of TVF members. If it wasn't, there would have been more than the 100 or so voting participants out of the thousands of tvf members. 
If the event is boring, it is because it is a reflection of the  clique who monopolized the activity, much as they often do with some of the forum threads.
The lack of participation was not due to the forum software, or mods or any other excuse you want to come up with, but was a direct result of the ick factor. Some of the comments were cringe inducing. It was as if the dirty white sock and sandals brigade  took control of things.  The event reflected the sentiments of  elderly caucasian  western males. It should therefore come as no surprise why women, and active people steered clear. The idiotic  back and forth over pink tights  was an illustration. Yes, it may be funny to the 65+ year old guys sharing it, but like Grampa Ned's stories, they get boring by the 25th+ rendition. It's boring and a turn off. At least Nancy had  bonafide stories of her helping people, i.e. human interest. There was a learning component take away.

As for this nonsense of changing votes or digging up dirt; what is this the schoolyard follies? Vote once and think before voting. Fluid votes are a reason why people get annoyed. As for dirt flinging, again, people who do not wish to relive the  schoolyard era when they were preteens slagging Jimmy Jones because he didn't have  new shoes or Ethel Marmelade because she wore a hand me down tunic will steer clear.

My suggestion is less negativity, more focus on good deeds and contributions to the community. More stories of positive events or solutions to common day problems. For example, I am grateful to the experienced  folks who counsel on the need for grounding wires etc. Without  reading such  cautions, I would have been fried. Same for taxi/transport advice or where to get decent eats. Some folks are just brilliant and no one ever says thanks. The POTY could be a way of recognizing them. Again, back to the grounding wires, think of how many  injuries were avoided because someone took the effort to explain what to look for. That surely is more notable than commentary on pink tights. 

And one can slag me off, but just remember, that there is a reason why thousands ignore the POTY. Continue to ignore them and the POTY continues as a shrinking participation navel gazing event.

No slagging from me.

You voiced your opinion and brought up some valid reasoning.

POTY should be, I agree, a chance to honour those who gave something positive to the expat community by way of a helpful post.

But unfortunately it seems now that the POTY winner is already predetermined and any commentary on his ( or her ) posts is irrelevant.

I do feel that this coming POTY can be different, as there’s no obvious winner, with many newcomers posting on a variety of subjects.

Will it reach the dizzy heights of yesteryear ??
I doubt it .

But it could drum up more interest given some changes I believe, hence this thread to encourage people to make suggestions and stop POTY disappearing altogether.

Or has it run it’s course and time to call it a day ??

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Some of you are flattering yourselves. The POTY is a turnoff for a majority of TVF members. If it wasn't, there would have been more than the 100 or so voting participants out of the thousands of tvf members. 

If the event is boring, it is because it is a reflection of the  clique who monopolized the activity, much as they often do with some of the forum threads.

The lack of participation was not due to the forum software, or mods or any other excuse you want to come up with, but was a direct result of the ick factor. Some of the comments were cringe inducing. It was as if the dirty white sock and sandals brigade  took control of things.  The event reflected the sentiments of  elderly caucasian  western males. It should therefore come as no surprise why women, and active people steered clear. The idiotic  back and forth over pink tights  was an illustration. Yes, it may be funny to the 65+ year old guys sharing it, but like Grampa Ned's stories, they get boring by the 25th+ rendition. It's boring and a turn off. At least Nancy had  bonafide stories of her helping people, i.e. human interest. There was a learning component take away.

As for this nonsense of changing votes or digging up dirt; what is this the schoolyard follies? Vote once and think before voting. Fluid votes are a reason why people get annoyed. As for dirt flinging, again, people who do not wish to relive the  schoolyard era when they were preteens slagging Jimmy Jones because he didn't have  new shoes or Ethel Marmelade because she wore a hand me down tunic will steer clear.

My suggestion is less negativity, more focus on good deeds and contributions to the community. More stories of positive events or solutions to common day problems. For example, I am grateful to the experienced  folks who counsel on the need for grounding wires etc. Without  reading such  cautions, I would have been fried. Same for taxi/transport advice or where to get decent eats. Some folks are just brilliant and no one ever says thanks. The POTY could be a way of recognizing them. Again, back to the grounding wires, think of how many  injuries were avoided because someone took the effort to explain what to look for. That surely is more notable than commentary on pink tights. 

And one can slag me off, but just remember, that there is a reason why thousands ignore the POTY. Continue to ignore them and the POTY continues as a shrinking participation navel gazing event.

I'll get my coat on the way out .......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

No slagging from me.

You voiced your opinion and brought up some valid reasoning.

POTY should be, I agree, a chance to honour those who gave something positive to the expat community by way of a helpful post.

But unfortunately it seems now that the POTY winner is already predetermined and any commentary on his ( or her ) posts is irrelevant.

I do feel that this coming POTY can be different, as there’s no obvious winner, with many newcomers posting on a variety of subjects.

Will it reach the dizzy heights of yesteryear ??
I doubt it .

But it could drum up more interest given some changes I believe, hence this thread to encourage people to make suggestions and stop POTY disappearing altogether.

Or has it run it’s course and time to call it a day ??

Cancel the Olympics, Sportsman of the Year etc.....?

Well that is for those who cannot let things ride and panic at the slightest thing that doesn't seem to be going their view way..

I ain't one of those.....????

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Reading between the lines I'm guessing that the 'pink tights' are the problem, what colour would win you back?????

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NancyL said:

To me, this was the most boring year for POTY for several reasons:

1. The connectivity issue, where I could play an entire hand of online bridge on my tablet while waiting for a TV post to load on my laptop.  In retrospect, I should have been grateful, because I was playing  pretty good bridge; since the first of the year the quality of my online bridge has been miserable.  Maybe I should be doing two things at once when I play online bridge.
  2. The inability of people to change their votes.  That has really sapped the life out of the contest the past several years.
  3. The difficulty in researching the posting history of the candidates.  As with real-life voting, I tried to familiarize myself with the candidates' positions via their posting history and find that difficult to do with the new format of the forum.  Also means you can't dig up dirt on 'em, either.
  4. And as much as I love Colin and was rooting for him, it really was a forgone conclusion that he would be the winner, but it would have been fun to be able to change my vote a few times during the contest see the lead change and watch how he responded to the pressure.
  5. And yes, the caliber of the banter was rather juvenile, in the the way that plus-65 white male expats can be juvenile.  Geronimo did his best to provide creative commentary, but there has to be something more than jokes about monkeys and pink tights.  Incidentally, for the record, the pink tights were not part of the official POTY regalia passed onto me by JT.  They are an innovation introduced by Trans.    

Agree with you 100% Nancy, each day i looked at the list wishing there was somebody closing in, making it a bit more interesting, but sadly no, i was bored nearly to tears.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Agree with you 100% Nancy, each day i looked at the list wishing there was somebody closing in, making it a bit more interesting, but sadly no, i was bored nearly to tears.

Your problem was that your campaign manager was too strong

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NancyL said:

1. The connectivity issue, where I could play an entire hand of online bridge on my tablet while waiting for a TV post to load on my laptop.  In retrospect, I should have been grateful, because I was playing  pretty good bridge; since the first of the year the quality of my online bridge has been miserable.  Maybe I should be doing two things at once when I play online bridge.
  2. The inability of people to change their votes.  That has really sapped the life out of the contest the past several years.
  3. The difficulty in researching the posting history of the candidates.  As with real-life voting, I tried to familiarize myself with the candidates' positions via their posting history and find that difficult to do with the new format of the forum.  Also means you can't dig up dirt on 'em, either.
  4. And as much as I love Colin and was rooting for him, it really was a forgone conclusion that he would be the winner, but it would have been fun to be able to change my vote a few times during the contest see the lead change and watch how he responded to the pressure.
  5. And yes, the caliber of the banter was rather juvenile, in the the way that plus-65 white male expats can be juvenile.  Geronimo did his best to provide creative commentary, but there has to be something more than jokes about monkeys and pink tights.  Incidentally, for the record, the pink tights were not part of the official POTY regalia passed onto me by JT.  They are an innovation introduced by Trans.    

I had NOTHING to do with the pink tights thing.....Please get facts right before posting......If I was drunk and did....Show me and I will own up...????

15 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Trans wasn't allowed....????

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, NancyL said:

Complete agreement with you Nancy, with perhaps the exception of the juvenile old white guys, and was wondering if I could have a few bridge lessons.

As you well know, as commentator, I can only work with the posts I see, and this year was by far the hardest, yet there were hardly any posts when compared to 2016. I am to be dragged in front of the TV Committee soon, to explain the "snooze fest" shambles of this year and fear I will be the scape goat here. I am thinking of organising a "We Want Vote Changing Back" march, which is the only way to get TVF to do anything.

We must take radical action to rescue POTY before it becomes a distant memory .....