Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

30 day excemption - proof of onward travel?

Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before.

I am a British passport holder. I arrived in Thailand for the first time in October on a single entry tourist visa obtained in Britain. I extended the visa by 30 days at immigration in Krungtep giving me a total of 90 days. 

I left Thailand just before Christmas and will be spending just under two weeks in Malaysia and Singapore before flying back to Suvanabhumi in the new year. 

I wanted to obtain another 60 day tourist visa in Singapore however a combination of the mandatory online booking procedure and Christmas break restricted Thai embassy opening times means that I will have to get a 30 stamp on arrival.

I have the required cash etc. Would it be advisable for me to book onward travel out of Thailand within the 30 day period and if so does this need to be by air?

I am likely to extend the 30 days so don't want to waste money on a ticket of If don't have to.

Thanks

Edited by Hardgraf

45 minutes ago, Hardgraf said:

I have the required cash etc. Would it be advisable for me to book onward travel out of Thailand within the 30 day period and if so does this need to be by air?

You will need to check with the airline that are carrying you. They might insist on a ticket, and - if they do - it would be an air ticket.

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know Thai Airways did ask if 'I was living in Thailand?' when checking in bags with my partner (she has non immigrant B & work permit). I gave a resounding 'no, I am a tourist'. I had an onward air ticket booked to Siem Reap which I was forthcoming with. Came into Suvarnabhumi on a 30 day exemption with no issue.

I was asked for the first time in Kuala Lumpur by Malaysia Airlines this February.  I did book the ticket at last minute.  My understanding is you only need onward ticket when using exemption stamp.  Last year I came back to Thailand with no onward ticket from phillipines.  

2 hours ago, Peter702 said:

I was asked for the first time in Kuala Lumpur by Malaysia Airlines this February.  I did book the ticket at last minute.  My understanding is you only need onward ticket when using exemption stamp.  Last year I came back to Thailand with no onward ticket from phillipines.  

Perhaps an oversight. I fly EVERY week. I have asked staff at airasia and Lion etc about this when returning from fortnightly trips to Vietnam and elsewhere. I ask "are you looking for my visa". Answer...yes sir. 

Me.."Here it is, btw, what if I no have visa"....Answer.."sir without visa we cannot give you boarding pass"

Edited by DrJack54
Error