Is it fair to tag someone a Cheap Charlie?

webfact

Is it fair to tag someone a Cheap Charlie?

By Dan Cheeseman

market-to-cheapskates-1465620170-800.jpg

If you are new to Thailand let me explain the term ‘Cheap Charlie’. It is used by Thais to describe someone, usually foreign, who is perceived as tight or cheap when it comes to spending their money. In fact the Thai term is a lot more crude ‘Kee Neo’ – which directly translates as ‘Sticky Shit’.

For many years I have just taken onboard the term with little thought to it’s implication. In fact bar girls throw the comment around freely if a customer in the bar refuses to buy them a drink – really, it beggars belief. It is actually very offensive.

I was talking with an expat friend and he first flagged to me the fact that the term ‘Cheap Charlie’ was offensive and I must say his reasons why resonated with me.

In the UK supermarkets are continuously cutting their margins as shoppers are looking for the best prices. It is beyond comprehension that these shoppers would ever be called ‘Cheap Charlies’, in fact it is smart shopping habits. After all why pay more for the very same item you can get cheaper elsewhere?

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2019/01/02/is-it-fair-to-tag-someone-a-cheap-charlie/

-- DAN ABOUT THAILAND 2019-01-02

Not a very nice thing to say to somebody....especially if it's 100% true !!!!!...

On deeper thought, I rather be ushed away because she says "...nooo:w00t: you to big, I refund".....rather then she says ..."you no give me more, you Cheap Charlie"....:crazy:

Edited by observer90210

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

I have also thought it was a term used by prostitutes whose prospective customers were not prepared to spend as much money on the purchase as the vendor would like.

And that its use had been taken up by those foreigners who spent time with such salespersons.

Consequently, when I hear a foreigner using the term I get an indication of their "interests".

I totally agree on all points.

Never repeat any 'special' words you hear in a bar, or from white guys that hang around in bars.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, grollies said:

The phrase used by Asian prostitutes was in my experience 'You, Cheepi Charlie'

You post is like throwing underhand to Harmon Killebrew. O wait, you might not get that reference.

Your post is like handing the ball to Cristiano Ronaldo from the spot with a blind goalie

22 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Nothing wrong with being a cheap Charlie, the above bar as recognized by many I think is from Barrio Barretta. My favorite place.

I think it's gone now, there was a rumour he lost (or was about to lose) the lease and had to relocate down the road.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think it's gone now, there was a rumour he lost (or was about to lose) the lease and had to relocate down the road.

True, but the new one is almost identical. Same upstairs outdoor vibe.