UK minister defends giving Brexit ferry contract to company with no ships

webfact

On 1/3/2019 at 6:24 PM, phantomfiddler said:

Grayling, Sturgeon, Salmond, do I detect a trend here ? Will they swear to tell the trout, the whole trout, and nothing but the trout ?

As Alfie Bass is my witness.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:31 AM, webfact said:

Grayling said officials had carried out due diligence on the company. 

And this due diligence consisted of testing if Seaborne could successfully transport a Fox, a hen and some grain across a river on a raft with no paddle. 

1 hour ago, Thakkar said:

And this due diligence consisted of testing if Seaborne could successfully transport a Fox, a hen and some grain across a river on a raft with no paddle. 

yes, and Greyling couldn't work it out properly and was bitten by the fox before he could eat the grain, the hen fled the scene in utter disgust

10 hours ago, Thakkar said:

A read of Seaborne's information listed on the companies house shows at 30th of April 2018 it assets totaling £35,169 (probably a second hand Ferrari, top of the range Iphone and Itab) and £53 share capitol and owing creditors half a million £.

Due diligence my foot...  

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Nothing unusual with this. The largest logistics companies do not have the largest fleets of trucks, ships or airplanes either. That is because they contract out. It's sall about organization and the management of available assets.

Understood. But this is starting to smack as the worst of African politics coming to the UK. A harbinger of times to come, I am afraid...

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Nothing unusual with this. The largest logistics companies do not have the largest fleets of trucks, ships or airplanes either. That is because they contract out. It's sall about organization and the management of available assets.

Nothing unusual in it if Seaborne had any evidence of having hired trucks or ships in the past. This company has no experience, though it does have the Terms and Conditions of a pizza delivery company. Seriously how can anyone see this as anything other than evidence of a depraved - and in this case quite probably corrupt -  government making idiotic moves at the expense of the Taxpayer. Surely even Brexiteers don't want to be ripped off, in the pursuit of their dream.

Any logistics company tries to mix their permanent assets - ships etc, which are cheaper to own - with those they contract in - which are more expensive but help ensure against over capacity. Seaborne apparently has no assets, and RORO ships, fully manned with skilled crew, are not available for hire at short notice. I worked for a container shipping company for 8 years, part of a consortium that had 50% of the Europe/ Far East trade back in the day. I know a bit about shipping.

Archived